Two questions....for now

Cal44

Gold forum user
First:

Concerning motor mounts. These are just 260/289 motor mounts....right? Nothing out of the norm? How's about those cast engine hangers, was that Tiger only or something from a Ford product.

Second:

The factory cast iron exhaust manifolds. What were they from again? A Ford van something something?

I don't have "the mans" book so where else can I look these issues up?
Thanks all,
Mike

65Tiger

Bronze forum user
Here is a little bit of help...I hope.

As I remember, the rubber motor mounts should be the same as early Mustang.

The left side exhaust manifold is the same as early Falcon V8.

The right side was custom made for the Tiger....I think....

hope the helps
Rick

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
First:

Concerning motor mounts. These are just 260/289 motor mounts....right? Nothing out of the norm? How's about those cast engine hangers, was that Tiger only or something from a Ford product.

Second:

The factory cast iron exhaust manifolds. What were they from again? A Ford van something something?

I don't have "the mans" book so where else can I look these issues up?
Thanks all,
Mike

#1 - Yes, make sure you order through NAPA, they sell the US made mounts. Make sure you check them. They should a mirror image of each other and are right and left specific. "Engine hangers" are Tiger only items.

#2 - Drivers side (US) are indeed Falcon. Pass side, Tiger specific.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
In the last issue of the CAT newsletter there was an article on the motor mounts. It covered the issue of miss fitting mounts and mentioned that anchor brand were a preffered option. It also mentioned the tech tip of counter sinking screws into the mounts incase of failure.

Cal44

Gold forum user
Still learning.............Thanks guys.

I forgot about the article on the mounts in the last issue, thanks for the reminder. oooops.............

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I forgot to take any pics when I reinforced my mounts with the 'safety' bolts so I'm sure Duke won't mind me posting link to his Facebook page where he has a pic of that mod... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2034409&id=1402147496&l=33c2567b45

I highly recommend that addition to the mounts ! When I bought my new 400hp 5.0. I asked the builder ( Fantasy Engines in Rhode Island ) for a couple references... I e-mailed a one of them and he said his engine was great but on the second time out with the car, it had so much torque that he tore up a motor mount ! That was good enough for me !!
There are also a couple pics on Tigers United as part of Tim Ronak's 350 Lunati Tiger tech tip.

Jim
B382000446

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
OK

The fact is over the years many replacement motor mounts have been non standard in dimensions and general quality. The article in Tiger Tales is a good reference.

Also I do not have a stroker. Just a 302 with over 1 HP per Cu In. Never broken a motor mount in several years of open track events. (That translates to hours of floored gas pedal.) Most of you reading this post will get nothing of value from this post except that some motor mounts in the after market have evolved into poorly fitting substitutes for the originals. And..The big(er) torque stroker motors are something Ford did not count on when designing the original Mustang motor mounts.

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Something to add regarding the motor mounts:

What the repro parts hate most is if you apply to much tension when tightening the center screw. So if your longitudinal runners are not entirely straight watch out. In my case the right side mount could not be installed properly and it became torn apart after only a few miles. Now I bought a new one and put the metal base plate of the old one (all the old rubber cut away) in between the holder and the mount. Seemingly it works now...