Turn signal lever boot/plug?

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
I replaced my stock broken steering wheel years ago and had to provide a new horn button toggle switch under the edge of the dash board. Lately I have relocated a push button switch in the unused opening opposite to the turn signal lever on the steering coulmn.

I'm curious, was there a small boot or plug closing the opening around the base of the lever where it enters the steering column? Or was it just left open?

I believe when the steering was moved from the right to the left side of the car the turn signal lever stayed on the right side of the column giving the passenger a peak at the inards of the steering column if there was no boot or cover.

I relocated the turn lever to the left side for ease of use being similar to my other cars. CAT has (had?) a rubber piece for the unused opening on the steering column but the one I received was too small and kept falling out so I replaced it with a piece of black acrylic. If I remember correctly the size and shape of the piece worked out nicely to be a 1-1/2" 45* ellipse. I've mounted my new horn button in the center of this piece.

Justin

67 Tiger

Gold forum user
I dont know anything about the CAT part, but this is the one from my 67. It is the original. I think its cool that we can put our turn signal lever on whatever side we want.

Jul19011.JPG

Jul19012.JPG

Jul19013.JPG

Hope this helps

67 MK1A 382002631 LRXFE B19KC JAL662639

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I've mounted my new horn button in the center of this piece.

Justin

I put my horn button there,too... I was told once that the Alpine overdrive switch goes in that spot but I've never actually seen one...

Jim
B382000446

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
I thought the CAT steering wheel column plug looked familiar but never reached over the windshield to compare. Looks like it was a windshield washer nozzel body grommet without the hole punched thru.

Next to the CAT part is a 3 piece acrylic plug for the opening opposite the signal lever on the steering column. Still looking for a better horn button.

The opening appears to be a 1-1/2" 45* ellipse which is 1" wide.

What I was really trying to find out about is how is the signal lever opening concealed or is it just left open with the lever sticking out? When the lever is adjacent to the door the opening doesn't show. Not a big deal, just curious.

Attachments

• button-01.jpg
    button-01.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 258
  • button-02.jpg
    button-02.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 282
  • button-03.jpg
    button-03.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 274
  • button-04.jpg
    button-04.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 251

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The levers are held between 2 x convex shaped metal plates that fill the hole. and the round nut srews down on the opening.

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
This is the turn signal lever opening that I have been asking about. I have been trying to come up with an acrylic plug but was curious as to what was there originally or what others are using. I am guessing a rubber boot was original.

Thanks, Justin

Attachments

• turn signal.jpg
    turn signal.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 354

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sorry if i may have confused a few people.. the 2 metal plugs i was reffering to that the lever goes through were for the OD switch on the alpine.. there was no fitting on the indicator side to my knowledge.

I didn't realise we were talking about making one to allow the indicator hole to be closed in a bit on the tiger... MY BAD!

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Well, my thanks guys. I think you've helped me solve my horn button problem:). It was right there in front of me.

I believe the original signal lever only moved up and down but the replacement lever, which I have, moves front to back as well and is spring loaded and wired for 2 additional momentary contacts in those directions. I can hook the horn up to one or both (and will probably be honking every time I reach for the turn lever) :eek:

Thanks again, Justin

67 Tiger

Gold forum user
The back and forth movement is for a headlamp flasher. Ive been trying to upload the pages out of my Tiger 260 owners handbook that show the placement of the lever (right side on LHD), along with the discription, but it's not working.

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Works perfect.

If you click on an image after it loads it will reopen just a little larger in the browser window. Use the browser back button to return to the post page.

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Well this is what I have come up with so far for the steering column plugs. I started out to do them using acrylic but after cutting the pieces out I found I now had the majotity of the material cut needed to cast them using urethane rubber. The same mold was used to cast both pieces.

The blank plug is very similar in outward apperance to the pics of the original except the edge is rounded off in the original. With a little additional effort the copy could be rounded off as well. Thanks 67 Tiger for the plug pics.

The acrylic pieces are definately the easier and cheaper to make and if made using a matt finish would very much match the look of the column cover and original plug. A light sandblast could possibly achieve the same effect but would require a little more work and additional equipment.

The rubber pieces are shown installed and the acrylic with a high gloss finish rest next to the scale. The smaller diameter is the exposed face. A larger diameter was necessary to hold the part together for the inner shape due to the material needed to be removed for the lever

It certainly gives a much cleaner looking turn lever opening.

Attachments

• turn signal - before.jpg
    turn signal - before.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 252
  • turn signal - after.jpg
    turn signal - after.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 246
  • turn signal - OS after.jpg
    turn signal - OS after.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 254
  • turn signal - molds and plugs-02.jpg
    turn signal - molds and plugs-02.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
My thoughts were to use up the rest of the material making a few more sets. The first pair came out fine but as I "refined" my technique the material wouldn't cure. Supposed to measure by weight 77:23 not volumn as I've been doing. Will borrow a finer scale (postal scale doesn't cut it) and try again.