Graveyard...ya you

Cal44

Gold forum user
Since I've seen more activity at the local graveyard than the members of this organization on this wonderful website, I thought I would post a few pix of Mr. Taylors Tiger. Mr. Taylor was the prior owner and now is deceased.

Lucky for me I now am the current keeper. I removed the rear end to have a traction lok/ posi installed. No self respecting hot rod has an open rear end.......that ain't natural in my mind.

New rear springs, fresh coat o' paint and some of my fav's.... Koni's. It's a thing with me.......Koni's.

Had the drive shaft done with new Spicer U-joints with a new balance just for good measure. A coat of Por-15 and check it off as done. Brakes and all the stuff that helps stop a car.

Next work will be the front suspension. New springs, new bushings and ball joints (thank you Mr. Willet). Another coat of Por-15 with a dash of chassis coat to dull it out a bit and..............I am all excited. The steering boots were rotten, of course there was no oil/lube in the rack. Will remedy that.

Also got the re-built distributor back from Tim O'Conner.............other than the carburetor the rest of the engine now looks weak. I live with it for now.

Rant: Even the old guys at the 356 Registry website post.........alot. What's with this group? If it wasn't for eight to ten of us nothing would get posted.

Last edited:

steven

Gold forum user
I visit alot but got nuthun ta say. The project is still sitting on the warf somewhere west coast. Expect to maybe get my hands on it sometime b4 Xmas. So been checking out rotisserie's, Tiger Tips. Polishing the new stainless bumpers:rolleyes:. Oh, I also take the Alpine with the Holbay conversion for a blast sometimes however thats not a Tiger.
Steven

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I agree that things are a little slow here but the TE/AE forum is the same way. I also belong to the 356 Registry forum but they have over 6500 folks signed up on that forum so it had better get plenty of postings-even with the forum moderator currently in place....:(
I wish more guys on the Tiger email list would post on the various Tiger+Alpine Club forums out there. Many of them have never made it past that list. I like the fact that one can easily post photos on this forum too. Our big British car show is tomorrow here in Columbia, SC with Sunbeam as the featured marque.
I will post photos and info about that show soon! Eric

Cal44

Gold forum user
I think I know of the moderator you write about at the Registry.........:rolleyes:

Yes, with all of these Tiger folk that are members in the book one would think participation would be better. I look forward to the pix from your weekend.

Here is a list of things I like to see:
Restorations
Modifications
Lots o' pictures

Someone answering why the rear end is so narrow......was that intended to place a wider wheel in back?

Why do people buy the same size wheels for the front and back....making the front stick out more...........things like that.

Why do Vredestein Classic Sport tires cost so darn much?

Mike

Cal44

Gold forum user
Holbay Conversion?

Steven,

Do tell............with pix. I am not familiar with The Holbay Conversion.

AND, I bought a new exhaust system from Rick at SS. Stainless, lightweight, perfect fit and not too loud. Just so.

Mike

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Someone answering why the rear end is so narrow......was that intended to place a wider wheel in back?

Why do people buy the same size wheels for the front and back....making the front stick out more...........things like that.

Why do Vredestein Classic Sport tires cost so darn much?

Mike

Mike,

The narrow rear track was inherited from the alpines. The theory i believe is so that the cars (in the alpines case a more balanced car) would understeer intially and then allow the rear to break away more controlably. On the Tiger they kept the same setup, though given the tigers inherant understeer and its ability to transfer to oversteer might not have been required.

Many alpines raced in the period would have the track squared, they would space the rears out (not being allowed to run wheels of a much wider width) so they ran a similar track to the front.

As for the tyres.. low volumes = high cost.. just be glad you dont live down here.. even normal tyres here are expensive comapred to USA prices.. cant beat buying/selling in bulk.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Here are a couple. Buy the way, its the 21st here and we are still here:D

Steven, nice alpine, did you convert a GT to an ST? I note it looks like oyu have an andrew masse horn push centre?

You said its a holbay conversion, has it got a holbay head on it? The DCOE's look to be stock DCOE's (have the breather hole sin the vertical face) but have the holbay crowned top hats? whats the setup?

steven

Gold forum user
Yep, it was a series V GT, the colour is origional (not common metallic blue). Wanted a softtop and did not like the V covers so converted to a IV cover system. The engine is fully balanced, bored a bit, and crankcase smoothed and painted (better oil flow) it has mild cam for street and a hobay spec head. The webbers and manifold are 40DCOE from a doner Holbay car in England. It also runs a Toyota steel case 5 speed. Every suspension/steering part is new or rebuilt. all brakes are stainless lined with VH44 booster. Wheels are new stainless/chrome spokes.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Steve,

I'm a little confused re:the "holbay spec head". Is it a holbay head or a head someone has modified? The holbay heads were a different casting, smaller inlet ports than an alpine and a completely different combustion chamber shape. While some people modify the heads to have a similar shape to the holbay setup, you can not make a stock alpine head have the same combustion chamber shape.

As for the carbs, i am quite sure the bodies are not the holbay ones. The holbay webers came in 2 types the 34/35 DCOE and 90/91 DCOE. What made the holbay spec webers different from other weber carbs was the extended auxilary venturis and the fact the bodies did not have a breather in the face of the carbs, but had a special crown on the top which they breath through (also the unique progression holes in the idle circuit). Its a little hard to tell from the pics, but the crowns on top seem correct, but it would be very easy to switch the top plate off another weber.

We should probably take this chat off the board as its alpine stuff not tiger (do we need an alpine section on the CAT forum? :D) but i can give you some info on the holbay engines and their unique parts vs series alpine and stock fastbacks and standard weber carbs.

here are some pics of the 34/35 webers for clarification

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Alpines and PM

I think it is fine and natural to see this posts go on tangents and even off the subject. Private Message (PM) is a great way to continue to share info and sources that might not be a continuation of the thread "Graveyard"

Also there is an Alpine and Rootes Others Forum near the bottom of the CAT Forum page.

Rick
CAT WWW

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rick,

I forgot about the alpine section, is there a way to move the alpine posts over there? Or should i just delete from here and repost them to a new thread?

steven

Gold forum user
As my wicked blue alpine suits me, I do not care if the head has been machined with suitable inlets and exhausts, I don't care if the 40DCOE webers are what others expect. It runs strong and LOUD and looks good. It has never let me down (except for the faulty tires). I hope to make my tiger as good or better. When we have the next National here in the land of sunshine (and floods, cyclones etc) you can see the beast in the metal. Oh, by the way it has a lopsided grin from a severe prang somewhere in its past. Typical Aussie