Tiger Search begins

AHudson777

Silver forum user
Hey guys, first time poster here.

Long time Tiger fan, had a Mk 1a back in 1992 for an all-too-brief period. Loved the Ford power, understated looks, uniqueness and Shelby connection.

Pantera and various Fcar owner now, but have the hots for a Tiger. Was at the Mecum auction and tracked down the blue one, went over it pretty good.

Have been in touch with a few ebay Tiger sellers, thought I'd join here and pose the search in this forum.

Looking for a 'mostly' original car, with improvements/upgrades totally acceptable this side of irreversibility. Not a fan of cut bodies, though have seen some remarkably indetectable wheel well radius mods. Am a fan of better brakes, 'corrected' steering, functional cooling systems.

Have no interest in a project. Have too many already! 30grand is top range for me; 25 is that much better. I don't have to sell anything or ask my wife if its okay. (Already did, and got approval!) Hoping to scare up some good examples. Hey, the hunt is half the fun!

Thanks in advance. I've much to learn and so far, this forum has been supremely helpful already.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Wish you luck in your search. Took me nine months to find and then three more years to get mine where I really like it.

You may find that no project and $25K don't match.

AHudson777

Silver forum user
Wish you luck in your search. Took me nine months to find and then three more years to get mine where I really like it.

You may find that no project and $25K don't match.

Thank you for that potential dose of reality! It may well be my optimism reaches beyond my budget. I'm still very much 'all ears' at this point. Any leads or input are greatly appreciated.

Cal44

Gold forum user
Welcome. Ask a lot of questions............I post Tigers for sale when ever I find them. There is one on Craigslist in L.A now, don't know if it's been TAC'd. No affiliation.
What part of the country are you in?

Mike

Last edited:

AHudson777

Silver forum user
Welcome. Ask a lot of questions............I post Tigers for sale in the For Sale section when ever I find them. There is one on Craigslist in L.A now, don't know if it's been TAC'd. No affiliation.
What part of the country are you in?

Mike

I'm in "AL" or Alabama, so deep southeast, about 3 hours west of Atlanta. Checked the 'for sales' since first finding this site. Interestingly, the Mk1a that was advertised in South Carolina about a year ago is one that is currently for sale in Lousiana.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I thnk Duke is right about the price range for a decent car might be a little low. In the last couple of years they have jumped a little, but bargins can still be found.

I remember when Duke got his MKIA, I thought he got it for a very reasonable price, and from the decription of the ebay auction at the time it looked like a car that was ready to roll no more work needed. While duke has been improving it over the years (uprated motor, LAT bonet, dash various other things) I remember he still had a few remedial things to sort when he first got it.

Long and the short.. cars are always project cars.. and buying someone elses resto means you may have to undo/redo some things.. and then there will be some upgrading/changes to your own preference, but they can be spread over time.

My advice would be in the range you are talking buy the BEST BODY you can.. tiger mechanicals are not that expensive, but body work is. Also re: orginiality. there are most parts for the interior etc available at good prices and with ease.. but there are certain tiger specific parts that will be pricey if missing, air cleaner housing, fan shroud, shifter handle and original wood wheel, dezus fasteners brackets in the trunk, original speedo/tacho.. if they are important make sure they are there!

rab123

Bronze forum user
Lookin Tiger

I know nothing about this car, but it been for sale off and on for a long time... Off Craigslist.org and Reno, Nevada

1964 Sunbeam Tiger - $24000 (Northlake Tahoe)
Date: 2011-04-14, 4:31AM PDT
Reply to: see below [Errors when replying to ads?]
1964 Sunbeam Tiger. Great driver. Would like to sale to someone local who will look at in person and drive. Lots, if not all mechanical work is done. Drives very nice. All new suspension bushings, 4041 fulcrum pins and proper modifications. 15" Panasports wheels, 205r15 front, 225r15 rear TA's tires, KYB gas shocks, 289 with top loader 4 speed, solid lifter cam, "Tiger" polished aluminum valve covers, aluminum radiator with custom trick polished aluminum shroud (cools properly), oil cooler, headers, trick stainless steel 2.25" exhaust, air gap polished intake with 750 HP Holly, pertronix ignition, large polished aluminum oil pan and windage tray, mini starter and polished alternator with nice billet mounts. and hard top. All electrical works. Very complete collect-able car. Needs some finshing work, mainly paint (original color is midnight blue). I really like driving this car, real fun. Includes new side trim, letters, badges and most rubber, original take off parts. You could just drive as a "rat rod" and go across the country, very dependable. Well balanced. I applied modern technology, and wouldn't hesitate going anywhere. Engine looks very nice. Fast. I have owned for 20 years.

Illness forces sale. $24,000 Best Offer.

Call 530-545-2605

RB

rab123

Bronze forum user
looking Tiger

Another car, know nothing about...

los angeles craigslist > antelope valley > for sale / wanted > cars & trucks - by owner
please flag with care: [?]

miscategorized
prohibited
spam/overpost
best of craigslist
Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
1966 Sunbeam Tiger - $24900 (Palmdale)
Date: 2011-05-22, 7:31PM PDT
Reply to: sale-4geev-2396908950@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Original 1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk 1, 260cu, 2bbl, matching hard top.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

image 0 image 1

PostingID: 2396908950

Copyright © 2011 craigslist, inc.
terms of use
privacy policy
feedback forum

Randy B

rab123

Bronze forum user
Looking Tiger

3rd Tiger I know nothing about.....

vancouver, BC craigslist > tricities/pitt/maple > for sale / wanted > cars & trucks - by owner
please flag with care: [?]

miscategorized
prohibited
spam/overpost
best of craigslist
Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
1966 Sunbeam Tiger - $22000 (Maple Ridge)
Date: 2011-05-25, 8:54AM PDT
Reply to: sale-r9cvv-2401847520@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Mark 1A, TAC #741, 289 V8 built by Kerrisdale Speed, wide ratio transmission, 288 rear end, fuel tanks removed and boiled and coated, rebuilt carbureter, new radiator, recent clutch, tires and exhaust system, car originally from Toronto, restored in Quebec in early 1980s, been in Vancouver since 1991.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

image 0 image 1
image 2 image 3
PostingID: 2401847520

Copyright © 2011 craigslist, inc.
terms of use
privacy policy
feedback forum

Randy B

AHudson777

Silver forum user
I know nothing about this car, but it been for sale off and on for a long time... Off Craigslist.org and Reno, Nevada

1964 Sunbeam Tiger - RB

Man, are you the classified guru or what? Thank you!

I 'think' I eventually located that listing and excuse my ignorance, but I only saw a very abbreviated description as opposed to the detailed one you showed.

Car appears to be a color change from blue to burgundy, but fits much of my desires otherwise. If that's NOT the same one, let me know.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Finding the right one is iffy

Now and then a customer will approach me and let me know his car may be available. Since, I am already familiar with the critters, I can perhaps fill in some of those blank spaces for you. Drop me a PM with your E-mail and we can point a finger in a few directions. To be sure, your first guestimate for a quality piece is a tad on the low side of reality . . . . .keepin' em' runnin', randy:cool:

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
A warning for you. There may be a Tiger in AL that is a rebody/fake. I don't know if it is still in the state.

The VIN number is B382000326LRXFE. Norm knows about it.

How do I know, it was mine. I bought it as a real Tiger from a collector car dealership (A$$holes) in San Diego, CA in 1993. I wrecked it in Enterprise AL in 1995. It was bought by someone as a salvage and fixed. Thank god I wrecked it and the insurance settle for Tiger money.

Metallic blue with tan leather interior, non stock seats and a chrome roll bar. It has a 302. The dash is hand made (by me) 3/8 solid burl redwood laminated to 1/4 hardwood plywood. The dash took me a month to build from a solid piece of redwood burl from northern CA. I was just about in tears that I could not get it out of the car.....insurance co would not let me unless I wanted to buy the salvage.

198886_1625406760690_1402147496_31342617_71427_n.jpg

Thats me driving it.

246750_1739307088127_1402147496_31486705_2701302_n.jpg

A pic of it during repair (Norm sent this to me).

Last edited:

AHudson777

Silver forum user
A warning for you. There may be a Tiger in AL that is a rebody/fake. I don't know if it is still in the state.

The VIN number is B382000326LRXFE. Norm knows about it.

How do I know, it was mine. I bought it as a real Tiger from a collector car dealership (A$$holes) in San Diego, CA in 1993. I wrecked it in Enterprise AL in 1995. It was bought by someone as a salvage and fixed. Thank god I wrecked it and the insurance settle for Tiger money.

Metallic blue with tan leather interior, non stock seats and a chrome roll bar. It has a 302. The dash is hand made (by me) 3/8 solid burl redwood laminated to 1/4 hardwood plywood. The dash took me a month to build from a solid piece of redwood burl from northern CA. I was just about in tears that I could not get it out of the car.....insurance co would not let me unless I wanted to buy the salvage.

Wow, what a story. The car looks good in those colors, especially with the hardtop. I guess in Enterprise, you or someone was part of the Army or helicopter division there?

Will watch for it, but have heard/seen nothing of it. Did YOU discover it's conversion status? Or did seeking certification reveal its past? Curious.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Wow, what a story. The car looks good in those colors, especially with the hardtop. I guess in Enterprise, you or someone was part of the Army or helicopter division there?

Will watch for it, but have heard/seen nothing of it. Did YOU discover it's conversion status? Or did seeking certification reveal its past? Curious.

Yep....I was in Army flight school at Fort Rucker.

Myself and a Tiger expert figured it out when I was in CA. I was really upset having just spent $16K on it and newly married. I had financed most of it and was making payments on it. The day I wrecked it, my wife told me she was pregnant. The wreck got me out of a car payment, a fake Tiger and into a 1967 MGB/GT that was payed for with cash.

AHudson777

Silver forum user
Yep....I was in Army flight school at Fort Rucker.

Myself and a Tiger expert figured it out when I was in CA. I was really upset having just spent $16K on it and newly married. I had financed most of it and was making payments on it. The day I wrecked it, my wife told me she was pregnant. The wreck got me out of a car payment, a fake Tiger and into a 1967 MGB/GT that was payed for with cash.

Interesting confluence of events! The insurance folks ended up refreshingly accomodating. Glad it turned out.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
The insurance folks ended up refreshingly accomodating.

Not really. I had to fire the first adjuster because he valued the car @ $13K and lied to me. The second adjuster actually listen to me, looked at the current market value and valued the car @ $21K. There was never a thought the car was not a Tiger by the insurance company.

Last edited: