My weekend...

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I was fully booked this weekend and started off going to a 'Wings and wheels' show at an airport about an hour down the road. Our Old English Car Club had sent about 4 cars 2 years ago and the grand total was about 20 cars for that event. None of our club attended last year but we gathered up 9 cars this time and arrived at the site on Saturday morning... apparently they had expected around 50 cars but as it was one of the first sunny Saturdays this year and nothing else was going on in the area, about 220 cars showed up !! It was a bit of a struggle getting it all sorted out but we eventually all got registered and parked and were busy soaking up the sunshine until the 'air' part of the show started a little after 2 ... There were a few R/C planes flying around and then the first plane to go up was a home-built biplane. He did a few maneuvers at a fair altitude and then dropped down to do the same stunts at less than 200 ft. ! I watched as, smoke trailing, he did a stall an barrel roll and then disappeared behind a hanger... all noise stopped and he didn't come out the other side |!! Apparently, the plane lost power and nosedived to the ground !! The entire show was stopped immediately but the good news is that the pilot survived albeit with some very bad injuries...! The flying club had a full agenda planned well into the evening and it was sad to see it all come to a halt so abruptly...

On Sunday, there was a show 'n shine about 6 blocks from my house at a pub. I also wanted to attend a swap meet in another town so dropped off my car early and carried on to the swap meet. Another gloriously sunny day...! They had finally put in an import category in the show and there was a very good import turnout this year... I don't ever consider my car as a 'show' car... more of a driver/mule... every year, I fix/restore/ modify it further and end up putting a couple extra 'hacks' in the 30 year old lacquer paint !! These shows are very much 'hot rod' oriented and much to my surprise, I won best import... !! Another bonus was I didn't ( for a change) have to try and convince anyone that...no ! they didn't all come with Chev 283's... lol !!

Well... back to reality (work) tomorrow... Sadly, I decided to cancel my Queen Mary booking and will not be making the 4 day trek down there... I'm pretty sad about that as it's looking to be a fantastic event !!

Jim
B382000446

Cal44

Gold forum user
Jim,
this was on the island......right? And........no pictures? I'm like a five year old. I like pictures...............

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Jim,
this was on the island......right? And........no pictures? I'm like a five year old. I like pictures...............

I would put it either at Comox Airport or Nanaimo Airport depending on which way down the road on Vancouver Island. I was just in Victoria over the weekend and I
must say Vancouver Island is spectacular. Maybe we can get Jim to post some pictures

Bill...Carmel Ca

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I would put it either at Comox Airport or Nanaimo Airport depending on which way down the road on Vancouver Island. I was just in Victoria over the weekend and I
must say Vancouver Island is spectacular. Maybe we can get Jim to post some pictures

Bill...Carmel Ca

It was Nanaimo airport actually... Sorry, I don't have a lot of pics but will post a few...

The red&white 1/20 scale model is of a Martin Mars 'water bomber' that is 1 of 2 ( out of 5 original ) fire fighting planes that reside ( for the last 50 years ) at a local lake. They were used in WWII originally.. Here's a link to their history... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_JRM_Mars When I lived on that lake I could see them out my living room window. I have a pic around here somewhere of me in the pilot's seat ! ;)

Jim