Dysfunctional Family

Cal44

Gold forum user
Mondays rant.

The Tiger community is like my "old" dysfunctional family. I write "old" family as most of them are now dead and not capable of dysfunctional causation.

The Tiger community is not dead but thrives in a "fragmented existence".

Take the wonderful TAC program. Those folks aren't putting in the new numbers on their "Own Website". I'm at 8 hundred something and they are at 6 hundred something. If they have a forum on their website I can't find it, so stick a fork in that.........it's over.

Unless "The Tiger Guru" is informed of the latest TAC'd Tig then it doesn't get posted on his site. This is important for sellers, buyers and the history of the car in general.

Then there is/was the hidden Tiger chat by entering Tigers United and signing up, but that seems to be more like finding the local chapter of the Illuminati...............

There is Alpines/Tiger East, yet another group where some poor sot writes in and gets no response for days, maybe weeks.

What's with the different websites for the same car? Think how lovely it would be to have one Tiger website that contained all the latest information and the links for parts, repairs and creations.
There are guys making new front ends for our cars, I just found anther one on Tigers east. I just read something about a fellow making an item that helps stop wheel hop. Where would I find him? Many things concerning Tigers seems to be a mystery........what up with dat?

I will use the Mustang Boss 302 website as an example. One stop shop...period. And they have an off topic section where other cars are discussed, lost and found etc.

All of this is easy for me to write about, why?, I know nothing and I don't pretend too know anything.

The Brits have their Tiger group centralized........what's wrong with U.S?

This in NOT a dig on anyone but an attempt with slow witted humor to get a point across. Just think, if it wasn't for this Website where would you go.........hummmm? Thank goodness for the California Tiger Association.

Mike

To name a few:

California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners

AshUK

Silver forum user
Get it off of your chest Mike hehe love it!!

Joking apart though you are dead right it would be great to pool the knowledge availible for the benifit of all!

Maybe thats your next project Mike, starting a new "Tiger World" website ;)?

Cheers
Ash

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
I completely agree.

As a previous 80's BMW owner, I was/am very active on a forum that is a one stop shop. I hate the fact that you have to post a question on up to four Tiger forums to get any good feedback.

The Tiger list archives are great but I cannot get back on the list. I have tried several times with NO LUCK!

There is some fantastic knowledge out there but the holders are not computer savvy or just don't have the time/will to put it out.

There also many personalities.....I will leave it at that.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
INAT or ?

OK

CAT has a certain ring and a play on the Tiger theme.

Maybe we should become the International National Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners?

Actually that fits us pretty well now from CA to ME and the UK, and Germany to Chile by way of OZ and NZ.

You are? the world.

Rick
CAT WWW

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It would be nice to have everyone in 1 spot, but i guess the difference between the USA and the UK is the USA has several Tiger clubs and Alpine clubs, the UK has 1 of each.

The mailing lists were probably the origins of the net sunbeam community, the alpine one has been dead for some time and began to be usurped by the SAOCA in around 1996 and the SAOCA forum has been goinh strong since, mostly alpine focused it has made accomodation for Tiger owners a few years back.

TEAE set up their forum a while back, but i'd say many of its memebers were listers and while i think the CAT forum is a great site, i'd say that the Tigers list has still been the main activity centre for tiger guys.

Interesting that since the list went down the forums have not got that much busier... and the list is very quiet.. I am still on the list and getting occasional messages.. maybe many are having Dukes issue and have been dropped off and cant get back on? Maybe everyone is enjoying the summer and driving, hopefully everybody will regroup soon.

Till then, nice that the CAT board is still going well (and touch wood.. reliable)

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Communications Extrordinaire

Gee: By dysfunctional family do you mean we can hit the entire gene pool with one birthday card? Yup, the como sytem could be compiled & surrounded so one button grabbed it all, but some of the fun is digging. Not that long ago, my research was done with a Tomtom & smoke signals . . . . .

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Gee: By dysfunctional family do you mean we can hit the entire gene pool with one birthday card? Yup, the como sytem could be compiled & surrounded so one button grabbed it all, but some of the fun is digging. Not that long ago, my research was done with a Tomtom & smoke signals . . . . .

Actually, that Tomtom thing can work pretty good ;)

I've found that phoning the guys 'in the know' can give you a lot of info in a very short time... 'most' are willing to help and a lot are not that internet savvy or keen to type out something that they've been asked hundreds of times... that looks to be part of the problem where many ( most?) of the knowledge is with guys that have had their cars and been enthusiasts for 25,30..40+ years !! I imagine it's hard to keep up the enthusiasm to continue sharing knowledge like us 'newbees' want. I've met a ton of friendly, knowledgeable Tiger guys but there are some personalities out there... lol

I think this particular forum has a great format and hope it continues to grow ! I know that there are a LOT of 'guests' lurking around here and wonder if they know that they don't have to be a member of CAT to post here... they only have to register..

Jim

FrankS

Silver forum user
Young blood

I concur the Tiger community is fragemented and needs a central authoirity that will preserve and grow the work already done by the founding fathers, we need a new tea party movement... wait what are we talking about I forgot....:).

steven

Gold forum user
Maybe it should be compulsory reading of the CAT notes occaisionly. It shows interesting knowledge and advise streatching back 40 years or more.:)

PS, my Tiger arrives next weekend after already travelling past my city down deep south and back north again. Am curious whats on the large skid pallet travelling with it. I organised great help from CAT members so I could ship extra front, rear fenders and a door to replace damage. According to the manifest, there are 10 pieces on the skid pallet? I think I think I may be getting a complete body cut up.:confused:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Maybe it should be compulsory reading of the CAT notes occaisionly. It shows interesting knowledge and advise streatching back 40 years or more.:)... I organised great help from CAT members so I could ship extra front, rear fenders and a door to replace damage.

Sounds like a good reason to fill out a CAT membership application and join ;)