Tigers on ebay

FrankS

Silver forum user
saw two Tigers on on ebay today a red one in Palm Springs, and a blue one in Eugene, any knowledge on either wouuld be greatly appreciated.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
saw two Tigers on on ebay today a red one in Palm Springs, and a blue one in Eugene, any knowledge on either wouuld be greatly appreciated.

frank,

Had a look at both cars, dont know their history of the, things i would comment on:

red car:
The interior has some unsual stuff, the tunnel has been trimmed in leather/vynil (and looks to be quite loosley fitted at that)
The seat squabs have not been trimmed quite right, the rear seat is just a flat vynil cover and they have screwed the rear soft top roll on instead of clips. The dash needs re-finshing and the horn ring is broken. the carpets dont look high quality and the door trims are not quite right either. That said, nothing a trim kit from one of the sunbeam suppliers couldnt quickly fix.

Apart from the interior the body looks quite straight and panel gaps are not bad. Some missalignment of the side stripe and the Tiger script and the grill car and lower finisher is missing. Car has a hard to too though the soft top looks a bit poorly fitted.

Overall depending on the price, could be a good buy if the body is as soild and straight as it looks, that said.. i would want to see pics under the car, the exhaust pass throughs, rear spring hangers, panhard rod mounting and some pics under the mats fo the floors.

Blue car:

Again very tidy car, seems mostly correct, nice interior with only a few details missing, Body looks straight and panel gaps look nice, boot has the comon raised area about 1/2 way down indicating its probably kinking on the 2nd skin. Not sure how easy it would be to get the soft top up and down with the early metal covers and the roll bar, but photos prove its possible. Car looks nice but agian, would be good to see underside pics as mentioned for the previous car. Car is a cross over body MKI the Vin is a later MKI one so that should be correct but be nice to see pics of the VIN tag too.

FrankS

Silver forum user
excellent

great input, thanks.. My goal is to find somone who just finished a car and is sick of it after the time taken to restore, and wants to move on to another project...I know from experience it happens:)

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
great input, thanks.. My goal is to find somone who just finished a car and is sick of it after the time taken to restore, and wants to move on to another project...I know from experience it happens:)

While you do find people who finsh a project and then move to the next one, i think they are normally people who enjoy the resto process as opposed to being sick of the car.. i guess it could happen, but doubt you will find a fresh high quality restoration of a tiger that someone just wants to sell quick.... i guess enough patience is the key. I would say buy the best body/most complete car you can.. mechanical condition would not worry me on a tiger.. bodywork and missing rare parts would.

Cal44

Gold forum user
Frank,

the reddish car in P.S was on Craigslist for some time, if I remember the ask was $25-$27?. Now it is down there in Co"chilla" valley. I am sure I posted that CL listing here but CL listings vanish after a week.

The blue car............it doesn't quite.........there is something..........it is at a dealer...........the seats and arm rest............but that's just me. Plus the ad reads certified by CAT.............really? we certify Tigers now? And, the guy uses "according too" a little "too much".

Mike

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Observing it all

It was pointed out to me the other day by the bride that we have been driving/owning Tigers since they got here! We still have our original 65 MK 1A and were piloting a MK II in 67. Watching the aging process and owner's mods over the years, coupled with BON's careful documentations has given somewhat of a unique perspective on the buy/sell/restoration process. Through the restoration shop, we've met a lot of wonderful people, and we enjoy all the parsings and comments as some of you rise to the challange of caring & feeding these mogrel critters. It's gotta be fun . . . . . .thx

FrankS

Silver forum user
Over cooked Rotisserie

I have found waiting 4 years for a car to finish can often lead to classic case of A.D.D. or also know as Automotive, Driving, Deficiency, month after month of no Tiger to drive makes one seek other interests, and when finally done you wonder why you even started, why you picked a certain color, or modification, etc. Some one out there will soon be afflicted with this syndrom and I will help them relieve the pain:)

Cal44

Gold forum user
Year after year when I go to the Goodguys Hot Rod show in Del Mar I see some of the same builders with a new ride they finished within a year from the last show.

A four year resto is not the norm. It's not like it's a '37 Bugatti.

Regardless............we'll keep lookin'

FrankS

Silver forum user
times a wasting

Call Dale and ask him what the wait is for a rotisserie right now:) In any event just had a 356 done it took less than a year and sold it before it was finished so it's just me ....... I want to buy and drive so with you looking also this shouldn't take too long:)thanks for all the help..

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Who mentioned Bugatti ??

Don't have a 37, but will a RHD 39 with the only surviving Gandaff body do?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Frank,

the reddish car in P.S was on Craigslist for some time, if I remember the ask was $25-$27?. Now it is down there in Co"chilla" valley. I am sure I posted that CL listing here but CL listings vanish after a week.

The blue car............it doesn't quite.........there is something..........it is at a dealer...........the seats and arm rest............but that's just me. Plus the ad reads certified by CAT.............really? we certify Tigers now? And, the guy uses "according too" a little "too much".

Mike

Mike, remember dealers often write about the cars poorly due to lack of knowledge about the tigers.. it is missing the ash tray, the Gt doot top rolls are the wrong colour and it doesnt have the pleater door panels.. seats loked ok to me. As for CAT certified.. think they mean TAC... car has TAC 0754 B9473300 last listed in Brush Prairie, WA.

Cal44

Gold forum user
Geez Mr. W, yes a '39 will do nicely.

Hey guys, can someone inform me on the issue of seat piping? Did all Tigers/years have a contrasting seat piping? Perhaps contrasting is too strong of word but you get the point.

I need a lesson,

Mike

AshUK

Silver forum user
Geez Mr. W, yes a '39 will do nicely.

Hey guys, can someone inform me on the issue of seat piping? Did all Tigers/years have a contrasting seat piping? Perhaps contrasting is too strong of word but you get the point.

I need a lesson,

Mike

Hey Mike
I think all early mk1 cars had smooth vinyl with contrasting piping as apposed to the later mk1 which had pebble grain (black only) and matching piping?

Early cars with red or light blue interiors also had contrasting piping but changed to matching piping when the cross over body was used in conjunction with the GT door cards etc.

Go to sunbeamalpine.org for a look at Alpine colour options.

Regards
Ash

Cal44

Gold forum user
I have contacted the seller. He will post pix of the bottom and of the STOA TAC certificate.

If the car was built in the third month of '65 would it have square corners on the doors?

Ash thanks for the link. If I get this right the seats would have had
contrasting piping....right? Considering the built date.

Mike

AHudson777

Silver forum user
Red car kinda gives me the creeps. You folks know these way better than I, but not a good feeling there.

Blue car is nice, seller is a stand-up guy (know two people who've bought from him previously though I haven't.) Spoke on the phone for 40 minutes, determined car was out of my meager price range, and he gave me another lead on a BRG car. Very kind.

The 'other' blue car that has been on ebay a few times had been a member's car here over a year ago. Another member (not disclosed unless he chooses) mentioned some body issues.

For those of you with a nice Tiger for sale, I've upped my price range accordingly. You guys KNEW I'd do that!