Been totally screwed

steven

Gold forum user
Gidday all, well the saga of buying and transporting a Tiger to Aus continues. After the quote of $2,000 to ship from Cal to Bris, I accepted. The eventual cost was $3800 due to "customs". Ok the container travelld to China, the Hong Kong, Melbourne & Sydney to Brisbane. Had tp pay $1,100 tax. Now the landing cost has arrived. They want another $1,800 to allow me to pick it up.
Well not happy guys, when I get my hands on it maybe will be happy but at the moment rather grumpy. I shipped a 25foot 7.8ton bus from Japan to Australia a couple of years ago and it was $7,000 to my door.
Will be posting piccies as I rebuild.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Steve,

I shipped mine in late 2006 from via NY to Melbourne. I sent it in its own container.. went NY, chin, melb.. should have been 3 months took 4.5, Clearence fees, customs, cartage, quarantine and shipping added up to $6400... and the duty as you would know was on the AU$ price of shipping + purchase.. and i did it whent he AU$ was .74... so dont worry.. you are not doing to badly.

Also something you may want to check.. the federal duties do not let you rego the car in victoria.. you then have to pay state stamp duty as thats the first time the car is registered in AU, might be different in QLD.. but watch out for that surprise!

Cal44

Gold forum user
Steven,

Rest easy brother. If your government is anything like ours. Your tax bill monies will be "taken" from you and "given to some pinhead wastrel" that doesn't have a job.........................

Do look forward too seeing many pix of the car as I don't have a life so this is exciting stuff for me.

Mike

AHudson777

Silver forum user
I've heard this type thing before. Though painful, we all collectively hope that the pain is minimized by the joy of Tiger ownership. Here's hoping you find a car that's 5grand better than you thought!

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
And more tarriffs

Only having 7 decades to call on for experience, I'm curious as all get out as to what all those narcisistic bueaucrats would do if we didn't have to pay taxes. Are they capable of holding down real needed employs?

FrankS

Silver forum user
Pain management

driving your Tiger.... listening to the V8.... the wind blowing around you... while you rest your hand on the shifter.. will ease your pain and help you forget what they did to you:)

steven

Gold forum user
Thanks guys, see the other post, I am getting rather happy, a major project in the shed listening to old fart music while I do a great rebuild. It does,nt get better than that. Will post pictures.
Steven class of 51

Cal44

Gold forum user
Steven,
as long as the music includes INXS, Midnight Oil and Crowded House, you will be fine.

Mike

cleandan

Silver forum user
Taxes and duties are ALWAYS a pain in the hind quarters.
I do not wish to take away from your situation but I have friends in another part of the world. When they ship something home, especially when it comes from the USA, they must deal with the regular taxes and customs issues. Then, when all clears the gov't issue they have to deal with the local cartage companies who decide on a whim what it will cost you to get your things from thier grasp. If and when you decide to pay the "fee" you then must hope the local union operators are not needed for you must also pay them a "fee" that is based on todays mood. This all hinges on the assumption that you actually were able to receive what was shipped rather than trying to figure out what facet of this lovely crapshoot stole what you payed for.
I hope you find great joy in driving the Tiger. I know I do.

steven

Gold forum user
Well the saga continues. Visited the transport/shipping place on Tuesday as they opened the container. The parts supplied by Mike Mulvey were in front and I was plesently supprised to the complete set of body panels including a windscreen in its frame. Had to yell at a workman that was about to walk on the panels. I helped them take out all the fenders, doors hood and trunk and load them on pallets. Had to leave then as quarentine had to inspect and clear. Told it was OK to pick up Thursday. Went there and loaded the Tiger onto a large trailer, while we were doing this the wharehouse guys bought out the panels. On top was the windscreen completly shattered.:eek:
Have now lodged a claim with the shipping agents at this end asking for a replacement or a payout.

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Bummer. Probably smashed by the guy you yelled at... Good that you saw it in good condition so you can say without a doubt in whose care it was when it happened. Hope the story only gets better from here! Cheers, Gene