B9472281LRXFE on ebay

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Othe...0763797?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item336958de15

This car must have been on ebay 7 times in the last 2.5 years i'd say, same seller and the price keeps on climbing. IIRC it was high 20's around late 2009... seems they have seen the Tiger prices rise and figure theirs is at the leading edge of that market.

On the bright side they have had the car TAC'd this year, which should remove some worries for some people. I'm sure its a nice fun car, but for the $ i think i'd be buying other cars i have seen listed via board and list members.

At that price i'd want to have a car with correct details. This car, while presentable, has many things that you would end up wanting fixed: correct dash, have a dash pad (not just vynil covered and beaded metal!) chrome ring around the temp gauge. Someones home made bonnet scoop.

There are vaious other small things but another one that stands out is the different paint colour in the engine bay and boot. From the TAC certificate you can see the original colour was black, am sure lots of people out there would like an orignal black MKI.

Anyway.. car looks like it would be fun and without to much effort could have the details corrected... but at that price i'd say most buyers would want those things sorted already.

FrankS

Silver forum user
WOW

I concur, this one throws me for a loop. Thanks for adding validity to my inital thoughts. I'm still on the hunt...

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
What is important?

I enjoy seeing the many claims of added value in these Tiger for Sale ads.

"ENGINEERED BY SHELBY" is certainly an exaggeration even considering that Prototype 2 was contracted to Shelby American (Geo Boskoff). Most of us deal with the reverse ackerman as the engineering compromise which allowed for a solution to having both steering and a V8 in a Sunbeam. Much better than no Tiger at all.

This ad also has something I never saw before. The "owners" CAT ID #???

This particular ID was "active" from April 2006 to April 2007. One year members are more common than you would think as people join to buy parts or? and a large percent of new members do not renew.

How does an "Owners CAT ID" add any credibility or value? Or does it? Does it when former membership has expired?

Rick
CAT WWW

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ok,

Went to my archives..

Car was on ebay in:
december 2009
july 2010
october 2010

In the 2009 ad it had an aftermarket tach installed on the steering column, the filter housing was matt black and many of the photos of the exterior were the same shots.. so those external pics of the car are not recent.

this was in the auction in july 2010:

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: We have for sale a restored Sunbeam Tiger “the Tiger was engineered by Carroll Shelby and is the cheapest way to own a Shelby engineered classic car. This Tiger has brilliant red paint, gleaming chrome, like new upholstery, great mechanical and a matching number engine and transmission.

HISTORY: I restored a red convertible and put it on ebay. An older man living in northern Alabama called and wanted to trade for the car, he had the 1966 Tiger and was too old and stiff to enjoy the small car. He wanted to trade the Tiger and me give him some cash difference. The car was nice, but had a older restoration “it needed paint, interior and a few mechanical things. The older man (upper 70s) had moved from central Florida to a beautiful place on a creek in the woods of northern Alabama. His story was that when he was young he lived in southern California and owned a 1966 Tiger, he wrecked it and always wanted another one. When living in central Florida he found one stored in a airplane hanger. He bought it and restored it, now that he is old he had a hard time getting in the Tiger, so he wanted a large red classic convertible that was a turn key car. I loved the car, but had too many projects started so I asked a car restorer friend if he wanted it, he did and proceeded with a restoration.

for what its worth it had pics of the VIN and JAL in the oler auction, if anyone is interested i can forward addtional pics on.

steven

Gold forum user
Ok people see this offer and think maybe my buy was ok. At $20k it is a restorer I hope, I pick it up on Wednesday (its Saturday here). I dread seeing a car for sale a lot less than mine. So, i went to the shed and fired up the Alpine, still love it, a 9 year rebuild, a bloody loud Holbay with webbers. Yum.
Still tooling along, spending $, better than gambling, will have 2 beutiful Rootes cars soon.