Tiger For Sale 8/23/11

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
nice screws on the Vin tag on that car...

Also.. who is the one asking questions about swapping the SUN tach for a stock Tiger one? If i was the seller i'd be checking the going rate on the SUN tach... cant imagine someone is offering the swap out of the goodness of their heart to help the seller auction the car.... o r am i being to cynical?

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
tach

I was thinking the same about the tach, wouldn't be a sale breaker, but I'm no expert. Michael finally got back on tiger mailing list, but still quiet most of the time. Kbeck

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
square cornered door at the front and the rear and screwed on VIN /JAL plates- Hmmm. Nice try...

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Now let me think about this. Color code on VIN says Mediterranean Blue. Nice factory grey/white primer under paint where top coat has worn off.... Seller says no evidence it was ever repainted. Black engine bay? I wonder what color is under the new carpet, behind the door cards etc.? Think they would have stripped all blue paint out of the door pockets? Worn trunk floor sure looks devoid of ever having had blue paint. Isn't there body color under the chassis undercoat, at least in the fenderwells? Looks like original undercoating there, and could be checked. Could that mean the screwed on VIN plate is not original to the car....? Silly me!

Gene

PS: The spare tire seems to be held down in a position more to the right than in my Mark IA car and the hold down clips for the jack and lug wrench are oriented different. It that typical for the Mark I's?

Last edited:

tiger260

Gold forum user
I hope you guys are right otherwise you have compromised his auction.
If you throw enough s**t, some always sticks.

It wouldn't be the first car to have numerous colour changes and consider this, if you were trying to pull a fast one, would you use screws on the VIN plate or do you think it is a double bluff?

Cal44

Gold forum user
I like the idea of the fellers' pointing out issues. Just think, if a green horn is looking for a car and comes to this website and reads the possible infractions on a auction car, it could help.

In my mind there is no way to tell from these photos if the car is the real McCoy.

Mike

cmjr1966

Bronze forum user
Tiger

Other than the screws in the vin tag and spec plate which is not uncommon the one thing that stands out is that, as mentioned, it should have round corners on the hood and doors. Not sure if the book I'm referencing is correct but it shows B-9473254 as the point of change from round to square. This one is about 107 units before that? Should be round?? Not uncommon for cars to pop up that blur those transition lines though. As with any car that pops up on a public auction site it will get a lot of scrutiny and comments and I would not be surprised if the owner has not already gotten a few "comments" about it.

tiger260

Gold forum user
I like the idea of the fellers' pointing out issues. Just think, if a green horn is looking for a car and comes to this website and reads the possible infractions on a auction car, it could help.

In my mind there is no way to tell from these photos if the car is the real McCoy.
Mike

Exactly.

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Tiger260, as Mike said and you and I think we all agree, one cannot tell from the pictures if it is the real McCoy or not. Still, I do not think it wrong to point out apparent discrepencies. As in my earlier post, one in good faith can raise points for further inquiry.

I do not think anyone is out to destroy this guy's auction. That said, things that do not appear right deserve to be pointed out and a satisfactory explanation given by seller to a potential buyer. Also claims made by the seller should be able to stand the light of day, however fully in good faith they are tendered. BTW, I have seen other more general, collector car forums where participants make totally uncompromising declarations from their lofty arm chair positions. Thankfully we do not see that here.

I also think we do ourselves a favor by sharing the collective wisdom of the forum members with each other via our observations.

As an entertainer often says, that's my opinion, I could be wrong.:)

Gene

tiger260

Gold forum user
Hi Gene,
I agree that it is right to point out descrepencies in cars as this info is handy to new potential owners.
However, these are old cars and many a thing may have happened to them in their life and many a thing changed or modified too.
Bear in mind that previous owners may not know or care what is "correct" and may have just done their own thing over the years.

There are a couple of comments in this thread that I don't consider to be fair without having seen the car in the flesh.

In answer to your observations about the boot, I have seen cars with the the jack and brace in that position and assuming the car has the correct boot floor boss, I don't think it is possible for the spare to be in the wrong position because of the boot floor ribs.

Maybe I'm just having a bad day. Who knows.

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Tiger260,

Thanks for sharing the followup thoughts and additional information.

The whole trunk thing caught my eye because I just had my spare out and was looking at the trunk floor. I thought it curious that the bolt down hole fixture is offset to the left instead of being exactly centered between the ribs. For some reason, something I had never noticed before or paid attention to in the last 47 years.

There is a flange on the outer rim of it where the weld to the floor occurs. The left side is entirely cut off so that the raised portion is against the raised floor rib. I took this to be necessary for the spare tire to not encroach on the battery space. So when I saw the subject car's trunk and noticed the wheel offset seeming more to the right, I thought it different enough to mention and ask about. Of course, this could just be a variation on a theme, depending on who was doing the welding at at the time.

I think we are both having a good day when we are talking about Tigers!

Gene

tiger260

Gold forum user
Hi Gene, I found these that I thought you might find them interesting.

KGrHqIOKpUE3tk2uqBOGfrNqER_3.jpg

Sunbeam65Tiger61.jpg

They show another Tiger with the same tool lay out and also show what difference different tyres can make to how the spare looks.

I know what you mean about the welding. I think the same can be said for the methods of assembly in general.
I feel sorry for anyone who got a Monday morning car after he had had a heavy session on the lash the night before.

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
tiger260, very helpful, discriptive pic's. Tire size does much more a difference than I would have expected. Thanks for taking the time to share them!:)

Gene

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
To Be Fair

Rcvd a comment from Norm on the round/square door issue as follows:
Randy,

As with all things Rootes/Pressed Steel/Jensen there are few
reliable, definite lines of demarcation. The earliest "cross-over"
body I've chronicled is one of the home market champions - B9473087
HROFE. That does not mean every body after that was so
configured. Too bad the chassis plate has been on and off of
B9473147 LRXFE. Regardless, several of its sister machines (noted in
my Registry notes) are members of the "half-'n-half" fraternity.
Norm