Tiger for sale 9/11/11

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Not a big fan of the trunk lid luggage racks. This one looks like it has a leaf spring base, otherwise nice car.

AHudson777

Silver forum user
Not a big fan of the trunk lid luggage racks. This one looks like it has a leaf spring base, otherwise nice car.

Ditto on the rack, though original and all that. Video was fun to watch, car sounds great as most of these do. Gold wheels never did it for me, but only a can of Eastwood Argent Silver away from greatness!

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Not a fan of the luggage racks.. ruins the line.. ona SI/II alpine i get it.. no boot (trunk) just take less!

As for the videos.. they are a fun thing to have.. hear the car .. see it drive.. pitty he kept putting the mic up in the airflow.

As for the car.. seems a solid contender.. where is the market at these days?

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
I added an AMCO luggage rack back in the 60's when my Tiger was my one and only source of transportation. Put it to good use many a time. Thought of it as a grand touring car as well as a daily driver so did not see any incompatibility of the car and a rack. Took a number of 1000 mile trips and found it handy. Still have the rack installed. For me it just belongs as a part of the car and our history together.

Back then I also figured out that if I reverse mounted it with the back vertical flange forward, I could attach some special purpose clamps to the front and back bars and presto, had a ski rack. The skis would just clear the back convertible top bow. Throw in a set of tire chains and I would be off to the Sierra slopes for the weekend. Different times, different priorities. Now of course I try avoiding driving the car in the rain!

I have noticed that the trunk lid reinforcements seem to be formed with luggage rack mounting points but I have never seen one that fit where the holes seem to be expected to be drilled. Mine does not fit there. Was there a factory option that did?

As for looks, to each his own of course. I for one am not particularly fond of the version on this car either. BTW, these days I jokingly refer to the rack on my car as my stealth spoiler.

Sorry if I have strayed too far off topic.

Cheers,

Gene

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have noticed that the trunk lid reinforcements seem to be formed with luggage rack mounting points but I have never seen one that fit where the holes seem to be expected to be drilled. Mine does not fit there. Was there a factory option that did?

Sorry if I have strayed too far off topic.

Cheers,

Gene

The factory one used rubber suction cups and had clamps that secured to the sides of the lid so no drilling was required.

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
:)Thanks Michael,

At last I have an answer after all these years! I think I have seen that style rack on other cars and personally prefer what I ended up buying.

Cheers, Gene

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
tiger

michael,

there also was the luggage rack that the uk alpine club has reproduced. it fits by drilling the holes that the factory had stamped in the trunk lid braces. i have one of them and we have drilled the lid and also beveled the openings and it fits the holes perfect. there also are spacers that fit between the outer skin and the braces so there is no dimpling of the outer skin. it looks much better than the one with the suction cups. it looks like part of the car instead of being a rental stuck on. in the late 60's i also installed the ammco rack on the series 4 since it was driven daily and many times i needed the space. it didn't fit the holes. the old coleman metal ice chest and tent set on it most of the time if i was headed to mid ohio or watkins glen.

Cal44

Gold forum user
The fellow has placed a buy it now at $33.9K................

If prices of cars keep falling perhaps I will be able to afford a '66 GT350....four speed.

Mike

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Inspection

A long time client asked me to look at the car for potential re-hab to original concours condition. I called for the matching numbers before taking the trip and couldn't get them ???? The seller seems to be a very nice gentleman and gave the car & PO high marks, BUT #'s are #'s . . . . . . .

Cal44

Gold forum user
Oneoffive,

is this in reference to this car and the owner didn't provide the JAL or other numbers? Inquiring minds.

Mike