Towing My Tiger

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi All

This novice is looking for guidance in loading my Tiger on a trailer. I am off to the Fairfield County Concours up in CT this weekend. I am trailering it up from Virginia. I have to admit this is the first time I have done this. I looked into an enclosed trailer but my SUV did not have the towing capacity so I have to go with your basic U-Haul car trailer.

My concern is with the ground clearance while loading. I see in the instructions you can use a 2X8 under the end of the ramp to reduce the angle, if necessary and also use them under the front wheels of the car towed to make sure the front end clears the 6 inch tire stops at the front of the trailer. My Tiger has the standard 13 inch factory wheels.

My question to those of you who have done this...do you think these will be necessary. I want to have everything I need prior to starting the loading process.

Thanks,

Jim

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Easy fix.....drive it. I drove mine from Kansas City to Rockport Maine last October. Piece O cake!

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
My question to those of you who have done this...do you think these will be necessary. I want to have everything I need prior to starting the loading process.

Thanks,

Jim

I remember one issue I had with using a U-haul... You can't adjust where the front of the car sits and I was hauling an AH Sprite ! Most of the car was in front of the trailer tires and it put a lot of weight on the tongue... the Tiger is not that much longer... :(
I made a couple of ramps for loading mine... they are the same shape ramp as the 'tandem tire changing' ramps but I put them under the tow vehicle rear tires and backup onto them. This kicks the front of the trailer up and the back down... quite a bit actually and makes loading a breeze...

Jim
B382000446

cmjr1966

Bronze forum user
Just finished towing mine

I just took my car out of dry storage, 16years and had to pull it up on a trailer. First thing I did was make sure I had good tires aired up, sounds like you don't have that problem. Trailer was a 18 footer tied to a 3/4 ton p/u. I had a special pair of ramps that I made that were 60" long and put a piece of 2x6 under them to decrease the angle. I then placed a cinder block under the trailer jack and leaving the trailor hooked up to the truck jacked it up to slant the trailor, again to decrease the angle. Not enough to pull the back end of the truck off the ground but enough to unload the p/u springs. I then used a heavy duty cable come along, similiar to the ones the 4x4 guys use to get themselves out of the muck and pulled it up onto the trailer. A smaller trailer might not be as tall as mine was, it's rated for 10K lbs with tandem 16" tires. The long ramps and lifting the front of the trailer was the key.

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks

All good scoop. I am confident loading at this end but still a bit worried about reloading after the show. I am sure I'll be in some field still soft from all the rain.

...but again thanks, I certainly have a number of options.

Jim

cleandan

Silver forum user
As you stated "this weekend" I am probably late to the party but I will offer some ideas just the same. maybe for next time.
I have an 18' open, flat deck, trailer that I seem to use to haul everybodys stuff but my own. However, on occasion I have loaded my Tiger, and my 1966 7-LITRE Galaxie that is lowered a bit from stock with no issues. When loading low vehicles I like to find a spot that will allow me to effectively flatten out the ramps so they are even with the trailer deck, as much as possible anyway. A good example of this would be to use a driveway with a slope. The slope does not have to be extreme so just about anything with a slope will work. First get the car to be loaded up the slope and aimed in the direction of loading. Next back the trailer up to the slope without having the trailer tires actually on the slope. Install the ramps and you will find the angle is now much less of an issue and often times has becomes almost nothing. Sometimes the slope is enough that you can not install the ramps (mine pull out from the rear of the trailer) In this instance drive the trailer a bit farther up the slope, install the ramps, then roll the trailer back down the slope to the best angle while dragging the ramps, a few feet will not harm them but certainly do not drive around with the ramps installed. Use your imagination for finding the a usable slope you will see there are MANY areas that offer such a position. Some areas do require permission (a private driveway for instance) but most people are happy to help with an old car, especially one as cool as a Tiger. Good luck

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Trip Completed

Thanks to all who posted it really helped. Made thr trip up to CT and back to VA this past weekend. All went well except for one scary moment. Clearance while loading and unloading the Tiger was not a problem. As recommended, I parked the tow vehicle on higher ground lowering the back of the trailer. I then placed 2x10s just in front of the front tire stops which raised the front end of the Tiger 2"...plenty of clearance for front end.

The real issue with using a u haul trailer with a Tiger is the track width. The width between the inside edges of the trailer's tracks/ramps are only a couple inches more than the Tiger's track width. Add the fact that I had 600x13 period tires on for the show. They have iron rails along the inner edge angled at 45 degrees to keep you on, but no rails for the last couple of feet at the tail end of the tracks right where the ramps connect. You have to be near perfect in loading and unloading...little to no room for error...ask me how I know.

While loading the car after the show I got the front right wheel a bit to far up on the inner rail. While trying to back up and straighten it out the car rolled back and slipped off the end of the right track. Luckily the right front wheel came to rest on the trailer's rear crossmember. After several minutes of sheer panic and several prayers we thought things out a bit and came up with the idea to build a makeshift ramp inside the trailer's right ramp. We got a cinder block and a 2x10 from a nearby wooden grandstand. The front of the makeshift ramp wedged in nicely against the back of the trailer and under the right front wheel.

After another short prayer I backed it up and the car rolled back smoothly with the left front wheel on the trailer ramp and the right front wheel on the makeshift ramp. Removed the makeshift ramp and then reloaded the car in a much better position.

My Tiger & trailer are both unscathed, although I can not say the same for my psyche. I was very lucky. Next time I am following Duke's advice and driving.

Jim