How to Authenticate my Tiger?

Ford_Crazy

Bronze forum user
I'm located in Central Florida and would like to authenticate (TAC) my Tiger. Who do I contact and what is the procedure? Thanks!

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The other option for authentification is once you are finshed, crate the car up, send it down to australia to me.. if i dont ship it back but send you lots of happy snaps of me driving it around you know it's real and lots of fun :D

cmjr1966

Bronze forum user
STOA

Get hold of Patrick King through the STOA site, he's the Chairman of the TAC. I live in North Texas and when I contacted him he plugged me into Rob Roy who is a Senior TAC inspector. Turns out they were having a TAC session 2 weeks later not 1 hour from my house. It takes 3 inspectors, one of them must be a Senior Inspector.

steven

Gold forum user
Or, do what I did, buying the Tiger from 10000 mile + away, I contacted this web site and had wonderful people close who checked out the car, good enough for me. Also checked with Norman who knew of the car. Now that I am rebuilding it (not restoring it), all indication is that it is genuine. Had a wonderful time pulling the engine/transmission today. Next week it goes upin the air on the rottisserie. :cool:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Or, do what I did, buying the Tiger from 10000 mile + away, I contacted this web site and had wonderful people close who checked out the car, good enough for me. Also checked with Norman who knew of the car. Now that I am rebuilding it (not restoring it), all indication is that it is genuine. Had a wonderful time pulling the engine/transmission today. Next week it goes upin the air on the rottisserie. :cool:

Steven,

once you get the car running take it to the national meet, they can TAC the car there. Generally its the only non NSW event where you can get TAC'd. When i was hunting down my first tiger i made sure i bought a TAC'd car.. the 2 since have noth been unrestored originals.. so they are safe.. but will TAc when i get a chance.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
TAC'd and them Clones

Making parts for people with major rust repair, we see things happen that could blur a TAC attempt. So, we learn to document and photo proceedure. Then there's the guys who buy the complete gauntlet of Tiger specific items and want to know all the little dimensions, holes & widgets as part of the package. I appreciate the business, of course, but those "special" projects get noted for future cautions. Integrity is made out of what it took to get ya there . . . . . . .

Ford_Crazy

Bronze forum user
My Tiger was a basket case when I bought it. It came with original service records and documents. The Vin plate is original and has never been removed. I have all the original parts. I may live long enough the finish it, but you never know. Does a car have to be running before it can be TACed? :)

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
B382000078 is TAC-less

Never felt the need to TAC our original toy because it's always been with us. 46 years of major mods & nasty wrecks. Lots of ugly rust repair from the raising family years, and now fully re-welded (4th time) waiting for a decision on keeping it in stock form or playing with it once more ? ? The grandkids are convinced that it's theirs, so I doubt it will show up on the sales block in the future.

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Kind of after the fact to have it TAC'd now unless now that you've gotten into it a bit you question its authenticity. At this point you either have a Tiger or you don't. Sounds to me like you have enough Tiger experience to know what you have.

The purpose of being TAC'd is to help prevent someone buying an Alpine on the cheap and then flipping it as a Tiger for a big profit after some mods.

Having it TAC'd shouldn't add any value to the vehicle. If you decide to sell get it TAC'd then which will help in the sale. It's done to protect the buyer.

I bought mine long before TAC existed and know what I've got. It hasn't been TAC'd and probably never will. I'll let my estate worry over that.

Justin

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I'm not a TAC inspector and wouldn't claim to know every factory indicator differentiating a Tiger from an Alpine, however, I had enough knowledge and confidence to buy a Tiger sight unseen in the late 80's. I just had the owner (who was a car guy, just not a Tiger guy) take his portable phone out to the car- I'd ask him to look here and look there and describe what he saw. I also had a few polariods to look at, but it really wasn't too scary.

I had the Tiger TAC'd a decade or so ago, not so much for me, or even the next owner (if there is one!), but because this group of dedicated individuals took the time to travel here- and the program is worthy of supporting. A bouquet of thanks for all those involved with the program!

Kirk

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
I am about as far from being a TAC official as anyone can be. Like Randy, I have owned my car since new and never felt any reason to have it TAC'd. I know what I have and have no intention of selling it. In my case my son considers himself heir apparent. However, I did have it TAC'd at SUNI in South Dakota in 2009. I was asked at the car show if I wanted it done and I thought why not.

I believe it was Tom Hall that commented my car was pretty easy to do because it had not had any body repairs done, other than a fender having been straightened. He said a lot of cars these days have gone through major rust repair and restoration, which makes the job much more difficult.

Given that, I would recommend having it TAC'd now before you fix and in the process change anything that will make the process for them more difficult later.

Hopefully there is a TAC inspector that is a member of the Forum and will advise more directly.

Cheers, Gene

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A memory or two

A parade of ancient iron has gone thru the shop over the years (along with Tigers). The day-to-day muscle stuff is run by the young blood and although they enjoy casting insults at the wee halfbreed Rootes, they can't hide the pride & interest when a Tiger is in the shop. Some very harsh & firm rules had to be established regarding "road tests". Of all the Tigers we've owned, only B382000078 has stuck with us from day one when it fell off the boat. Like a stray cat with most of it's nine lives gone, it still hangs around waiting for food & affection. I keep the original steering wheel for moving Tigers around the shop and to remind us how quick the lil' car can be. Wreck #3, Mt. Washington Auto road, 1978. My chest did the damage in the photo.

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
And a reminder

Picture is also a reminder to me to install a set of three point seat belts. I drive my car way too much to be without them and with the rear mounting holes already in the body, there is really no excuse not to have them. Probably help in my very amateur autocrossing efforts as well.

Cheers, Gene