Motor Casting Numbers

67 Tiger

Gold forum user
What are the casting #'s for the 260 & 289 engine blocks, that came from the factory, in the Tiger?

Cal44

Gold forum user
It will start with a C. For instance C-6015-B. Also, the date is cast as well.

The C is for casting in the sixties. D is for the seventies as an example.

The numbers you are looking for are behind the starter motor. Needs to be removed for a perfect view or borrow a small mirror and pretend your ten and try and look..........your neck will need to be in a boiled noodle like state.

What I find interesting is Ford was making 260's and 289's at the same time. The only way to tell is the bore size, to the best of my knowledge. Even that is not accurate as the bore could be enlarged on the 260.

Additionally I find odd markings like F4 in some spots.
Perhaps Ford 1964?

I have in my small collection 289 (cast) heads poured in '63.

When I question Ford guys on this I get blank stares. It appears too be a gray area. If I have written in error then someone correct me.

Mike

Last edited:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Heads no tails

Those 1963 289 heads could be found on quite a few 260's from the factory. Many Ford nerds deny this, but having been there, I know better.

65Tiger

Bronze forum user
To carry it a little further. Doing this from memory as I have the info at home somewhere. C4AE-6015E would be an example engine casting number. As already stated 'C' is the decade, 60's. 4 is the year of the decade the part was designed and can stay that way for more than one year. A is the family of car it was designed for. E is for engineering (I think). 6015 is the the type of part and E is the 5th revision of the part.
The cast date is under the part number on the engine blocks and it looks like it is being held on with round head screws. The letter indicates the month and the letter I was not used. the numbers are the date of the month. can't remember if the year is indicated, would have to look at one to help my memory.
My 5 bolt HiPo block is the example number I used, at least I think I remember it being an E revsion.
Hope this helps
Rick

67 Tiger

Gold forum user
Everyone thank you for your info. What I'm curious about, is what came in a Tiger. Are they all the same or are they from different pour's. In Tiger Toms ad he states " The engine assignment came from the fourth largest family of Tiger 260’s, pulled from Ford’s small block assembly line on the 27th of April, 1964. Roughly 465 in that grouping". So what are the casting numbers on those blocks? are they the same. And what about the next "grouping" of motors Ford sent? I guess you need one of those "Norm" books to answer this. Thanks anyway.

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ford Numbers Source

Recommend the High Performance Ford Engine Parts Interchnge by George Reid for everything you could ever want to know about Ford engine Numbers. The book is readily available online or sometimes also at bookstores.

Of course this is by-the-book factory stuff. As Randy pointed out slight permutations could exist in the case of Tigers.

Ron Fraser who used to post on the Tiger List was attempting to put together and original Enging Study for the Tigers...not sure how far he has gotten. At a minimum, I seem to recall that he had extensive knowledge re ford engines and their application in Tigers.

Jim

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just to show Ya

In 1965 we pulled apart an original Tiger 260 and played with the motor for more HP. The heads went into Dad's barn. In 2009, I dug them out of the attic and re-built them. Note the C3AE casting "289". Ford apparently put together what was handy off the shelf at the time. rw

67 Tiger

Gold forum user
Interesting picture. So now I ask what does this do for the rumors about the last mk1's really being 289's?. I've read their is no evidence to prove this, but that photo shows 289.

65Tiger

Bronze forum user
My Mk1 was (is) definately a 260. I still have the block and heads so I will check the numbers on them. I think I remember mine having a C4AE number on the block and the heads were not 289.
It is my understanding that the Tiger 260 blocks had 3 freeze plugs on each side like the 289 and the Falcon 260 had 2 freeze plugs on each side.

65Tiger

Bronze forum user
My memory was just a little off. Here are the numbers off my Tiger 260

B9472849

Engine C4OE-6015E Cast date 4F30 (June 30 1964)
Head C4OE Cast date 4G7 (July 7 1964)
Head C4OE Cast date 4G13 (July 13 1964)
Intake C4OE-9425D Cast date 4G7 (July 7 1964)

My 5 bolt Hi Po 289 block C4OE-6015F Cast date 5H23 (May 23 1965)

Hope this gives some of what you are looking for.

Rick

65Tiger

Bronze forum user
One more thing about the heads. They don't say 289 anywhere on them and the intake ports and intake valves are smaller that the set of 65 289 heads I have.

65Tiger

Bronze forum user
Was just on e-bay and there is a 260 block listed with exactly the same numbers as mine, same cast date .
There is also a 62 260 listed and it has 2 freeze plugs each side.

steven

Gold forum user
OK,
Just checked the numbers on my engine.
C4OE 6015B and the above numbers 4D11.
Translation please.:)

Cal44

Gold forum user
C4OE 6015B, engineering/stock numbers

4D11, casting date 1964, April, 11

When doing the Ford cast dates 60's and 70's ford did not use the letter I. It was not used because it could be mistaken for a number one.

In your case the number 4 is the year

The D is the month, example A would Jan, B would be Feb and always skip the I.

The 11 is the day of that month.

Ifin' I'm wrong, oneoffive will let me know about it.

Don't get too comfy.........C4 items could have been cast in 1963. One just needs too read the casting dates.

Mike

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Casting Date v. Build date

Hi All

Since we are on the topic of casting numbers, I have a question about mine. My Tiger MkI came off the assembly line with Engine #1048 E7KL, build date 7 Nov 63. Unfortunately, this engine disappeared at some point in the car's life.

During the car's restoration 8 years ago, the PO installed a 260, casting number C3OE-6015B, date code 3D18.

The C3OE casting code appears correct. My question has to do with the date code. Although the casting code of the replacement engine precedes the build date of the original (that's good), what is the likelihood, the replacement engine came from a same casting on the same date? According to Norm the original engine came from the second consignment of Ford engines...all built on 7 Nov 63. Does anybody happen to know the casting dates for the engines in that consignment. How many different casting dates could there be? If many different casting dates, what would be the range of the dates?

Thanks,

Jim