Concours

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi All

This past weekend my Tiger MkI participated in the Fairfield County Concours up in CT. I applied to participate last May and my application was accepted in mid-July. For the show I mounted period 600x13 B.F. Goodrich bias-ply tires on the factory wheels with the original chrome caps and beauty rings.

They had about 175 cars spanning 100 years of motoring history which drew about 7,500 spectators. For judging purposes I was in with ALL cars for the period 1960-66. They also had Peer Awards for classes a bit smaller. My Tiger was in with 10 cars from 1965-66, including an immaculately restored Shelby GT 350 and a completely original Ferrari 330. They also had a number of other awards like Most Thrilling Open Sports Car, Car I’d Most Like to Take Home, & The People’s Choice Award..

The judges had their hands full getting all the cars judged. They only spent about 5 minutes looking at my Tiger which was bit disappointing, especially since they did not ask many questions. They basically asked a couple questions about the restoration, looked at the quality of the build and the body lines. I did notice one judge running his hand over the driver side trunk lid/body gap...it is so obvious.

My Tiger was the only one at the show and I probably sound a bit immodest here but it received a lot of attention from the public viewers. I spent most of the day just standing nearby answering questions from those who knew about the car and those who did not. I also received a couple inquiries about selling it (no prices mentioned) and some recommendations that I take it to Hilton Head and possibly Radnor Hunt next year.

Best Domestic Car went to a 1929 Stutz and Best Foreign Car went to a 1934 Hispano-Suiza (don't ask me.) In my judging class I believe it was a Ferrari 275 GTB that won first place…the GT-350 got runner up.

At the end of the day I received a 2nd Place Peer Award.

I would also like to add that the future of our favorite Marque is secure. My Tiger was also awarded 1st Place in the Youth Judges Choice Award. The organizers obviously preselected a cross section of cars at the show and had them judged by a group of 10-15 year old boys and girls. They came by my car and after I gave them a short rundown on the car they asked questions including, Is it the original engine? How much horsepower? And can you please honk the horn? I was told my Tiger just edged out the Ford GT-40. As it turned out I got to take part in the Drive up Awards ceremony and had my photo taken with the judges (kids).

Overall, a beautiful day with some really awesome cars. I have attached a photo of my Tiger captured by a photographer from Sports Car Digest just after I arrived.

Jim

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sorry all...this post should have been down in the Northeast Section. Could a system administrator please make the move.

Thx, Jim

Cal44

Gold forum user
you were there all day.................and you give me one picture? Are you trying too hurt me Jim.......?

And no pix of the GT350?

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Some More Photos

Having trouble posting some of the photos here are a few more...including the GT 350 (the photo does not do it justice.)

Admin added the formerly troublesome three pictures of NICE! red Tiger :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: