Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The November, 2011 issue has a 'buyer's guide' write up on the Tiger. I was expecting a paragraph or two...SIX PAGE ARTICLE!

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
I have a subscription. Good article. Lots of warnings about fakes and Algers.

I wish the featured MK II did not have gold wheels and a good stock steering wheel (missing the horn ring).

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
You could try this NA of course. Pulled it off their page for buying a single issue. Looks like you need to ask for Nov 2011 issue #75

Order Online or call 1-800-227-4373: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. ET Monday - Thursday, and 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. ET on Fridays. hemmings.com accepts Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It came in the mail a couple of days ago...usually, subscribers get it before it is available on the rack...one of the benefits of a subscription.

AHudson777

Silver forum user
Got my attention right on the cover, ripped open the magazine and...

Not so much, to me anyway. The subject car is a color change from white, pretty incorrect under the hood, wheels not befitting the color, white letter tires... I know, S&E has a 'niche' in picking the non-concours stuff, but this was a letdown.

They've done better, and I thought the Tiger deserved better. Not a malignment, but not very enthusiastically packaged. Maybe its just me. Curious what others think.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rare Maybe ??

One of the comments heard at the Stowe Brit Invasion was that fewer & fewer Tigers are showing up at "mixed" functions and that "Those snobs only mix with their own kind". Gee; should I start picking my nose with an upraised pinky finger?

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I took mine to the EuroSunday event today and was well received, just wish it looked better.....:)

AHudson777

Silver forum user
I am not going to bash the car as it is what the owner wants. The magazine should have picked a better example though.

Agreed. My fishing for response was more about the magazine's choice of cars, not the owners.

I feel 'part' of the emphasis in a publication should be on 'what a car was or can be' in the most positive, encouraging light. Probably not achieved here, though some nice facts and I guess the thought counts for something.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The one thing that interests me in tiger articles is that VERY RARELY do they have a stock car.. normally they will at minimum have minilites or LAT's.. often an aftermarket steering wheel.. most articles the cars run 289 engines with 4bbl's, often better brakes... Perhaps this is also a reflection on the state of most tigers now.. not many out ther that are stock.. less so on the original wheels ( i can think of 4 very nice tigers on stock wheels that visit the CAT forum.. jim's thread is one of them)... and many owners even now modify them more for personal taste.

I'd like to see an article with a stock tiger compared to a modified one.. talk about the vintage charm of a stock car vs the more sporting asiratinos of the modified cars that so many of us run.

rant over.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
One part of the article that made me smile- they were doing a breakdown of the car...when it got to the section on the body, the author wrote, "It appears as if a stout Englishman whacked the fender well with a shovel. The shovel is, of course, fiction, but there was a fair amount of assembly line clearance work that did occur by way of hammer blows. A larger transmission tunnel was also installed at Jensen."

So, that ought to make everybody happy. The fabricated transmission tunnel was acknowledged, while keeping the 'hammer blow' camp satisfied!:D

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
... talk about the vintage charm of a stock car vs the more sporting asiratinos of the modified cars that so many of us run.

You and I both know that a dead stock Tiger is slow to go and slow to stop and is generally dangerous. I can't wait to get the stock front brakes off of my car.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You and I both know that a dead stock Tiger is slow to go and slow to stop and is generally dangerous. I can't wait to get the stock front brakes off of my car.

Duke that's a bit rich coming from a guy with stock brakes on a 400+bhp car.. i think you are running the gauntlet of danger way more than a stock car as you stand :p:D

I really do like the stock Tigers for charm.. but remember they are a tourer.. not an out and out sports car in that configuration.. drive them gently and enjoy the torque and they are great.. drive them hard in corners and on 165 tyres, smallish brakes and soft suspension you are asking more than what was intended.

Also... while yes I do own a hotted modified Tiger I do also have a stock car.. It's just i have never driven it.. or seen it in real life.. such is the obsession.. :eek:

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Duke that's a bit rich coming from a guy with stock brakes on a 400+bhp car.. i think you are running the gauntlet of danger way more than a stock car as you stand

Now come on....I have a Lockheed booster and RX7 rear disk brakes. I dream of bigger wheels and Willwood front brakes. In the mean time, I need new front rotors and pads pronto!

Oh yea. FYI, my show on the 17 was cancelled due to rain. Will try again on the 22nd and will get you a pic of the car and board.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Now come on....I have a Lockheed booster and RX7 rear disk brakes. I dream of bigger wheels and Willwood front brakes. In the mean time, I need new front rotors and pads pronto!

Oh yea. FYI, my show on the 17 was cancelled due to rain. Will try again on the 22nd and will get you a pic of the car and board.

Sorry to hear the show was cancelled... as for the brakes on the car.. the rears dont do much.. you could leave the stock rears on and go for some better fronts and will pull up much faster (as long as there is decent balance)

I was chatting to a friend last week about brakes, he said that when he got his from Dale's about 8 years back Dale said he sold more kits outside the states than inside... seems stateside owners must have brass ones (I'm not talking about brakes)... they will put high HP motors in.. but not better brakes.. seems that is changing now with the resto mod movement..

I really think the percenptions of the tigers shortcomings come from use.. and the change in use has brought about the many options we now have to adress the shortcomings within this more performance orientated movement... your street tiger has more grunt than the top full blown racers of the period ;)

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
... they will put high HP motors in.. but not better brakes..)

I agree completely that bigger brakes are needed. Budget ran out this year. The fronts are adequate and I know their limits. New rotors and better pads will hold me till I get the Willwoods.

When I restored and modified (with a turbocharger) a 1985 M535i I put massive brakes on the front and back. That car could brake so hard it would give you a serious headache. It was nice to have that much stopping power.

BTW - have a 700 CFM Holley double pumper on my engine now. Power should be up by at least 10% :cool:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Duke.. 10% more power... and still on stocks.. i'm going with you must have SOLID BRASS ones :eek:

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Stock Tiger

Hi All

As mentioned by Michael, my Tiger is relatively stock (except for some LAT options under the hood and these actually still qualify as stock for concours purposes.) It was restored by the PO with this in mind and I have remained consistent to this intent in my efforts to improve the car. My Tiger is among the earliest produced (0033) so I have felt this was important.

Although 205x60x13 tires and 6x13 alloy wheels provide for some better handling and a custom look, I also mount period bias ply tires, original factory wheels and original caps/beauty rims for certain occassions. See attached photos.

Jim