RIP Andy Rooney

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
RIP Andy

The world is short a truely objective realist . . . . .rats!

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Andy Rooney may be happy. I think he said he would be happy doing what he did all his life.

He was a Tiger enthusiast and quoted as saying,

It's a sad fact of life that gratification is usually the death of desire. Once you have the object of desire, you don't want it anymore.

For years I wanted a little sports car with lots of power. That was slow coming, too. In 1966, I finally got what I wanted, a Sunbeam Tiger, British racing green, with a Ford V8 engine under its bonnet. I still own it, and it weakens my theory about gratification and desire because I like having it today as much as I did the day I bought it.

The following from an interview by Rooney’s son, Brian, an award-winning ABC News correspondent http://www.colgateconnect.org/s/801/scene_inside_2col.aspx?sid=801&gid=1&pgid=2582

I have a car now that I love, a Sunbeam Tiger. It has a Ford 8-cylinder engine in it. It’s little, and it doesn’t weigh much, either. It’s now 25 or 30 years old. It will beat anything on the road. It’s up at our country place now. I get the guy who owns the garage to get it out for me every year and make sure it’s oiled and greased properly, and then I drive it all summer.