My New Tremec TKO 600 5 Speed

ramseyt

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I recently completed MDL's Tremec TKO 600 5 speed conversion on my 66 Tiger! http://moderndriveline.com/Tiger_TKO.htm I am very pleased with the results and the conversion went without a hitch. I expect it will be much more comfortable on long interstate trips now with the .64 O.D.----3k rpm's at 65 mph now drop to 2k in 5th. I still have the 2.88 rear end and so it was also a nice surprise to feel the slight reduction in first gear (2.87 vs the 2.32 in the old close ratio Toploader). The 600 bolted right up to my 6 bolt bell housing. I swapped my old 10 spline clutch disc for a 26 spline to fit the 600. My kit included a new drive shaft and cross member.

Others with 5 speeds have said "it'l be the best thing you'll ever do to your Tiger if you take long trips". I believe it now and it feels good to be there!

Last edited:

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Did you have to do any trimming inside or outside the Tiger tunnel to get this to fit? Did you use your stock shift lever and if so was the final install height/position very close to original/stock?

ramseyt

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Did you have to do any trimming inside or outside the Tiger tunnel to get this to fit? Did you use your stock shift lever and if so was the final install height/position very close to original/stock?

The ONLY tunnel mod was I had to open the shifter hole up at the back 3/8" to prevent pinching the rubber boot that came on the 600. Suspect there could be that much variation from car to car. Did use stock shifter. I didn't measure the height but can't tell that it is any different from stock.

Attachments

• IMG_6634.jpg
    IMG_6634.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_6638.jpg
    IMG_6638.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 262

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks and appreciate your reply. Another question would be clearance for stock gas and brake lines running inside lower trans tunnel area on right side ? any fit/clearance issues to consider

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Thanks and appreciate your reply. Another question would be clearance for stock gas and brake lines running inside lower trans tunnel area on right side ? any fit/clearance issues to consider

There is as much room as with the top loader. In fact you can easily run a return fuel line for fuel injection if you are so inclined. I run a thermo shield tubing over the top of my fuel line all along the trany and up the bell housing to the back of the manifold with plenty of clearance.

Moondoggie

casarris

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I'm thinking of converting my Tiger to this, what gear ratios did you end up with?

ramseyt

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I'm thinking of converting my Tiger to this, what gear ratios did you end up with?

MDL recommended the 600RR with the .82 OD. I opted for the 600 with the .64 OD to have the option of later going to a lower rear end ratio from the stock 2.88 to gain more go off the line.

TAH_Tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have the same setup 302/5 speed/288 gears and have loved it. Highway touring is not a chore and also better off the line.
Are you going to the United in Staunton, VA next week?

casarris

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
So did you end up with a gear ratio of 2.87, 1.89, 1.28, 1.00, .64 o.d., and if so is there a big gap from 4th to 5th gear? What size wheels and tires do you have?

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
So did you end up with a gear ratio of 2.87, 1.89, 1.28, 1.00, .64 o.d., and if so is there a big gap from 4th to 5th gear? What size wheels and tires do you have?

The jump from a .64 OD is fairly significant which is why the .82 is recommended by MDL. If you are just looking for economy and have a mild/stock small block the .64 works just fine. However if you have a 302 with a high lift cam and stock rear gears you will find that at highway speeds the motor will run below 1500 rpm's and most likely buck and be unhappy. I have the 600RR tranny with 3:07 gears and my 302 has a very high lift cam that does not like to run smoothly below 1600 rpm and the .82 OD is perfect at highway speeds. It will also beat my 2015 Porsche 911CS in a straight line !!! but forget the corners !!!

Moondoggie

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Moondoggie is correct that a drop from a 1.0 4th gear to a .62 5th is a very large gap. If I were racing I'd like it much closer, perhaps in the .80 range.

However let's be realistic. I've had a 5-speed in one of my street Tigers over 10 years and never once made the 4th to 5th shift at 120MPH or higher. So the in all those years I've had zero chances to experience the advantage a .8 ratio would give.

On the other hand, I use 5th every time I drive the car.

On the way to the SUNI in Rapid City we had a pair of Tigers drive there in formation. Identical speeds the entire way. Both had T-5s. One with a .8 and the other with the .625. At every gas stop the one with the .8 needed a gallon more than the other.

I have the .625 OD. And I want an OD, not a 5th gear. I originally had a lower rear end but switched back to the 2.88s. At 70mph I'm running around 1800 rpm. It's a joy! Quiet! You can talk to the passenger. (And when I hop in our other street Tiger with a toploader, the 3K rpm at the same speed has me back shouting.)

Moondoggie is also right about the bucking when you slow it down. If I let it lug down to the low to mid 50s, it needs a downshift to accelerate without complaint.

Ford was one of the first manufacturers to use the T-5. They wanted a 5-speed tranny for the Mustang IIs and such, equipped with 302s. Ford engineers chose the .625 ratio for it. So I'm not alone in my thinking.

bt
At the beach

Last edited:

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Ford was the first manufacturer to manufacture a vehicle with a T-5. They wanted a 5-speed tranny for the Mustang IIs and such, equipped with 302s. Ford engineers chose the .625 ratio for it. So I'm not alone in my thinking.

bt
At the beach

Let's not forget those same guys came up with the Pinto ,maverick and Edsel !!!

moondoggie

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
What

Dog, Your point is what. The Edsel or a Pinto would have been better with a 5 or6 speed stick. Or is it that you have one so must be good for all of us.

I will keep my top loader forever.

Tiger Blue

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tire size, toploaders, gear ratios...

A little more misc. info...I run a toploader with the close ratio gear set and the 2:88 rear end hooked up to a warmed over 302. I have 205/60-13 tires, which are smaller in diameter than the stock tires and give an equivalent rear axle ratio of about 3:11. So, it's pretty easy to get off the line, has close ratios, and will still go 140 mph- works for me (not that I will ever see 140 mph). Turns 3000 rpms at 70. Pretty good compromise.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A little more misc. info...I run a toploader with the close ratio gear set and the 2:88 rear end hooked up to a warmed over 302. I have 205/60-13 tires, which are smaller in diameter than the stock tires and give an equivalent rear axle ratio of about 3:11. So, it's pretty easy to get off the line, has close ratios, and will still go 140 mph- works for me (not that I will ever see 140 mph). Turns 3000 rpms at 70. Pretty good compromise.

Im not sure your numbers are quite right... I would exepct with your setup you would be more than 3000 at 70mph... I havent got the gear calculator on me at the moment.. But if you are running a smaller over all rolling radius than stock.. You would run higher revs than stock.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
speed calculator

Michael, I fed my data into the calculator and that's what came out- it's proven itself in real world- just the top calculator applies- the 4-speed chart...ignore the 5-speed chart.

2ep546e.jpg

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
road tests

Aside from the shop manual, road tests of the Tiger during the time of production show MPH in top gear ranging from 22.5 mph to 24.2 mph per 1000 rpm. These were done with test equipment, not relying on the Tiger instruments accuracy. Seems like a lot of variation. I get 23+ mph per 1000 rpm with my set up.