Steering Wheel

67 Tiger

Gold forum user
Is this Hub bent? Or did they make them this way?
IMG0117A.jpg

IMG0118A.jpg

IMG0119A.jpg

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Is the splined center square (at 90 degrees) to the metal hub? Does the metal hub show signs of being bent towards the spline?

67 Tiger

Gold forum user
Yes the splined nut looks square to the hub. No the hub does not look bent. The spokes look like they might have been rebrazed, out of square. SO I GUESS THIS WHEEL IS JUNK!!!!!

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Can It Be Fixed?

Yes, the wheel does look crooked and not square. If the spokes appear to have be rebrazed such that the wheel is not square, can you break them loose and rebraze them again while making the wheel square? Seems better than throwing the whole wheel away. (I am assuming that the brazing was done at the hub end of the spokes and NOT at the wooden/plastic wheel end of the spokes. The hub will be covered up by the plastic around the hub itself.)

Wonder why a P.O. did this to the wheel?

Good luck with the wheel if you do decide to do something with it!

67 Tiger

Gold forum user
The color of the Braze/weld looks like brazing, BUT it looks welded, and grinds like a weld. The repair was done in the inside of the hub. I have TOO much money invested to just give up now. The REPAIR piece I bought from Eric is just to FREAKING BITCHEN to not use. I need a better cutting bit for the Dermal. I have a mig, and a torch, so I can braze or weld. The Seller of the wheel is just a thieving rip-off, HE had to know what a piece of crap he was selling. KARMA WILL BLOW UP HIS CAR.... I HOPE. That's what I get for trying to put an ALPINE steering wheel on a TIGER!!!!!

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Alpine Steering Wheels

Here is what I understand about Series 3 - 5 Alpine and Tiger steering wheels. Others more knowledgeable than I am might set me straight.

1. Alpine GT cars had steering wheels with wooden rims.
2. Standard Alpines had similar steering wheels, but with black plastic rims.
3. Tigers came with the same steering wheels as the Alpines.
4. The real early Tigers had vinyl covered instrument panels just like non-GT Alpines. They might have had plastic-rimmed steering wheels, but I am not sure.

norm1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Here is what I understand about Series 3 - 5 Alpine and Tiger steering wheels. Others more knowledgeable than I am might set me straight.

4. The real early Tigers had vinyl covered instrument panels just like non-GT Alpines. They might have had plastic-rimmed steering wheels, but I am not sure.

I have a NOS wooden rim for my Tiger to replace the original Wooden rim one. Hope to get it installed this summer.

Thought it was expensive when I bought it in 1984 for $250.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member

David, your list is correct. The alpines ( adjustable columm series 3-v) and all tigers shared the steering wheels.

The alpine GT woodrim wheel was used on all tigers with wooden dash.

Within the first 400 tigers there was GT tigers ( alpine GT spec interior and.fittings with rear seat and no soft top) and the ST spec tiger. These early cars had the alpine ST spec black dash. I believe at least some of these cars had the bakerlite dash and a wooden wheel as seen in some of the period pr photos.

During mki production rootes refined the interior spec. They went to ST spec but with wood dash and wheel. When the cross body cars came ( square corner doors and bonnet) they further refined spec and added the GT doors with the pleated trims and door top rolls. This remianed through till end of production.

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
One more Alpine steering wheel info item-the Series 1 and 2 Alpine steering wheels are unique and will not fit a later Alpine or Tiger so be wary when seeing those for sale on eBay. The center hub is totally different and the splined center is a smaller diameter. My friend and I have sold quite a few of the Tiger and Alpine steering wheel hub repair kits-and soon hope to offer new and as per original wood rim steering wheels to go along with the new center hubs. Eric

67 Tiger

Gold forum user
WHEN?

If the wheel part is the same quality as the center hub, PUT ONE ASIDE for me. Until then Ill just try to realign the one I've got.

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Will keep you posted

It may be awhile. I recently gave an original Tiger wheel to a friend who does high end wood rim steering wheel restoration/replacement for him to take apart and to make new replacement wood and also the black filler strip on the rim. I told him that there were a lot of wood rims out there to rebuild/restore. He was relieved that he did not have to work around or restore the cracked plastic hub, I told him I have the fix for that! Eric

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It may be awhile. I recently gave an original Tiger wheel to a friend who does high end wood rim steering wheel restoration/replacement for him to take apart and to make new replacement wood and also the black filler strip on the rim. I told him that there were a lot of wood rims out there to rebuild/restore. He was relieved that he did not have to work around or restore the cracked plastic hub, I told him I have the fix for that! Eric

Eric,
I think if you can get this squared away, there might be a really good market for this. If your friend could do the rims and you supply the hub kit to return to the owner, I'd think there would be quite a few folks that would stand in line with either there original Tiger wheels, or with donor Alpine wheels. You cold always post a survey to gauge interest. I'd certainly be interested. Just sayin'...

Cheers, -Kevin

Warren

Gold forum user
GT

Alpine steering wheels are wood . The inlay is a plastic and not anything exotic. You'll need a good core wish I had not traded away 4 stock cores .

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Kevin-that is the plan. To either offer rebuilt wood rimmed steering wheels with the new hub kits or to have one's personal wheel shipped here to have it rebuilt with new wood and to replace the center hub if wanted. I got an update yesterday from the steering wheel rebuilder who has already taken my old wheel apart, ordered the new wood, and made the equipment to cut the wood parts as per original. He was amazed that the black trim was made of a type of plastic and wants to use black ebony wood as in Porsche 356 wood wheels. Stay tuned! Eric

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Photos Question

Just to make sure, are the bottom 2 photos the BEFORE photos and the top 2 photos the AFTER photos? Looks like a great improvement! Congratulations on a good job.

67 Tiger

Gold forum user
Just to make sure, are the bottom 2 photos the BEFORE photos and the top 2 photos the AFTER photos? Looks like a great improvement! Congratulations on a good job.

YES. I have added before and after to the photos so there will be no confusion.
Thank You, Its still not perfect a little off top to bottom. BUT my Tiger is not a "Restored" car, a little messed up goes well with the rest of the car.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
YES. I have added before and after to the photos so there will be no confusion.
Thank You, Its still not perfect a little off top to bottom. BUT my Tiger is not a "Restored" car, a little messed up goes well with the rest of the car.

I think I have the same kind of car! That was a good one...
And nice job on the wheel too!
-Kevin