Front bolt on suspensions

gyroplanes

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I believe I read somewhere that there are 3 people making bolt on front suspensions for the Tiger.
I saw one on The Chip Foose resto program.

I have my stock one off and am having second thoughts of modifying it.

I sure would appreciate ANY information about "bolt ons"

Warren

Gold forum user
Yes 3

Fat man who said that he was too busy and Tiger's would not be enough of a market to pursue. Hokanson AKA Toyjunkie or similar spelling and Dale's Restoration in Pro Vendor section. I've driven a Hokanson and it's wonderful, however he will not respond to inquiries. I've told Dale he'd sell a lot more if someone could just drive one in a parking lot, or parallel park a equipped Tiger.

PITT40

Gold forum user
I bought a FatMan and returned it for a refund. The geometry used for all those other cars with taller tires will not work for Tigers. You end up with no ground clearance.

Hokenson is not making any more.

My new Dale's front end is shipping tomorrow. It's not cheap but supposed to be much better to drive.

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Any advice for installation of the Dale's front suspension? Got mine struggled, put it aside to address a clutch and now I'm getting ready to put the engine back in and then the suspension. My initial problem was getting the mounting holes to line up, I've since disassembled the front suspension to make it easier to handle with less weight(it's heavy and cumbersome). I found adjustments to the frame while the engine was out was fruitless as it settles back to where it was. I'm about 1/8th
off with the back bolt holes, and a little less on the fronts. Once the engine is back in I know my ability to move the frame rails will be limited at best...Any feedback you have would be appreciated. Cheers...Don

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What I do (sometimes)

Cradle or hang the motor above the frame. Without the added weight and better frame access clearance, you can use a porta-power or bottle jack to spread the frame as needed. A bit of extra time but it doesn't waste a whole day of frustration. Works fer me . . . .just sayin'

Tweak

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Any advice for installation of the Dale's front suspension? Got mine struggled, put it aside to address a clutch and now I'm getting ready to put the engine back in and then the suspension. My initial problem was getting the mounting holes to line up, I've since disassembled the front suspension to make it easier to handle with less weight(it's heavy and cumbersome). I found adjustments to the frame while the engine was out was fruitless as it settles back to where it was. I'm about 1/8th
off with the back bolt holes, and a little less on the fronts. Once the engine is back in I know my ability to move the frame rails will be limited at best...Any feedback you have would be appreciated. Cheers...Don

On my car it was quite the process. I did what Randy suggested and lifted the engine a bit to lessen that force. I also removed the firewall to fenderwell supports. Than I attached the front suspension to the bolt hole that was the most trouble during the first attempt. Then I did the second bolt on that side. Then with the aid of a ratchet strap I got one of the bolts on the other side to go and the last was cake. It was a chore. Also, be sure to clean up all the threads on the frame and I ground a blunt point on the bolts. Be patient.

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
On my car it was quite the process. I did what Randy suggested and lifted the engine a bit to lessen that force. I also removed the firewall to fenderwell supports. Than I attached the front suspension to the bolt hole that was the most trouble during the first attempt. Then I did the second bolt on that side. Then with the aid of a ratchet strap I got one of the bolts on the other side to go and the last was cake. It was a chore. Also, be sure to clean up all the threads on the frame and I ground a blunt point on the bolts. Be patient.

Thanks guys! The engines out and the concept of cradling the engine when I put it back in was a thought of mine, now confirmed. I did not think to remove or loosen the firewall to fenderwell supports, genius, thanks. Curious where you attached the rachet strap, I have one I purchased thinking it would come in handy for this but the only place I can't think to hook it up would be the very front of the frame rail where at or around the bumper attachment points?? Thanks for the support..

Tweak

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Thanks guys! The engines out and the concept of cradling the engine when I put it back in was a thought of mine, now confirmed. I did not think to remove or loosen the firewall to fenderwell supports, genius, thanks. Curious where you attached the rachet strap, I have one I purchased thinking it would come in handy for this but the only place I can't think to hook it up would be the very front of the frame rail where at or around the bumper attachment points?? Thanks for the support..

On my car I used the ratchet strap to pull the suspension backwards. I think I used an a-arm on one end and the exhaust hole on the other. Randy W had already repaired and reinforced the exhaust hole with oval pipe. So plenty of strength there. It did get so tight I sacrificed the strap when I couldn’t make it release. It was a cheap strap.

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
On my car I used the ratchet strap to pull the suspension backwards. I think I used an a-arm on one end and the exhaust hole on the other. Randy W had already repaired and reinforced the exhaust hole with oval pipe. So plenty of strength there. It did get so tight I sacrificed the strap when I couldn’t make it release. It was a cheap strap.

Oh my god it shouldn't be that hard, the holes on that subframe could have been slight oval shape, and the alignment shop could dial it from there...I'm hoping for a fairly clear path...Thanks for all the follow up...Cheers, Don

Tweak

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Oh my god it shouldn't be that hard, the holes on that subframe could have been slight oval shape, and the alignment shop could dial it from there...I'm hoping for a fairly clear path...Thanks for all the follow up...Cheers, Don

Just want to add that my car did suffer a driver’s front collision in the 60’s. I suspect that gave the front frame a slight twist, and since Dale’s suspension has a long tube from the bottom to the top of the crossmember a little bigger than the bolt diameter, it doesn’t cooperate with a hole in the frame at a different angle than the suspension. The factory suspension has a large hole through the bottom the bolt head fits through, and the bolt hole in the top. Much more friendly.

I also wasted a lot of time underneath the car trying to push the mounting bolt up with a socket that was on the deep side. Adding a nut inside it before putting it on the bolt helped me maintain some pressure. I also eventually used a tranny jack with a pivoting base to match the rake the frame rails have front to back. I had to get all these little things right to finally get it in. I hope any future needs to do this will go better. I also was working solo. Another set of eyes and arms would have helped.

Attachments

• 99D5D149-ECC1-486E-886F-E8C79A518835.jpeg
    99D5D149-ECC1-486E-886F-E8C79A518835.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 297
  • 3FDF3BE8-0470-4016-968F-BBCBDC43CA8D.jpeg
    3FDF3BE8-0470-4016-968F-BBCBDC43CA8D.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 235

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just want to add that my car did suffer a driver’s front collision in the 60’s. I suspect that gave the front frame a slight twist, and since Dale’s suspension has a long tube from the bottom to the top of the crossmember a little bigger than the bolt diameter, it doesn’t cooperate with a hole in the frame at a different angle than the suspension. The factory suspension has a large hole through the bottom the bolt head fits through, and the bolt hole in the top. Much more friendly.

I also wasted a lot of time underneath the car trying to push the mounting bolt up with a socket that was on the deep side. Adding a nut inside it before putting it on the bolt helped me maintain some pressure. I also eventually used a tranny jack with a pivoting base to match the rake the frame rails have front to back. I had to get all these little things right to finally get it in. I hope any future needs to do this will go better. I also was working solo. Another set of eyes and arms would have helped.

No doubt once this guy is in it's staying put. If I ever have to pull the engine again, I'll go old school up and over the front of the car, 4 bolts for a bonnet and that's it....I wonder what the idea was with redesigning the mounting system from original seems the tubes for the bolts could have been the diameter of the socket plus some and it would have alleviated the painful install. Even though your cars been hit in talking to Dale the other day there's not a Tiger out there whose frame rails are to spec.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Them Dimensions ?

After decades of body works on these cuddly mongrels , we can tell you flat out that the metal joining dimensions vary from car-to-car. They are not as bad as the hand-builds like XK 120/140's, but sadly haphazard just the same. The lead & seam sealer guys earned their keep fer sure.