Fuel injection

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
I decided to purchase one of the new self learning bolt on fuel injection systems. I chose the new one from Quick fuel technology. I bought the full kit so I didn't have to run around finding compatible parts.

The system is good from 250-525 hp. Comes with a hand controller to connect into the ECU to do the initial set up and also a disc for a lap top if you need to do finer tuning if you have a power adders custom cam etc.

I put the ECU in behind the false floor

Yes the filter over the muffler

Return line into the filler neck.

You need the tanks vented with a 6an size vent so I plumbed it into the top vent from tank to tank. I also made a new cross over tube as I didn't want to modify the original. Fuel injection needs a constant supply of fuel from the tank. Fuel slosh when the tanks are getting low can uncover the pick up and as there are no float bowls there is no reserve of fuel. As it is a high pressure system you will get a sudden pressure drop and the engine will die. So I welded in and blocked off the lower half of the fuel cross over pipe to trap fuel in the pipe ( make shift surge tank ).

I will make a small video of it starting up tomorrow when I am ready to restart it and post a link.

Cheers Mal

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Purrs like a kitten

I had the filter off overnight and re fitted it this morning. I also had an issue with the MSD ign sends a Tac spike when the ign is turned on. The ECU saw this and thought the engine was running and would supply enough fuel for the tac spike. The result was a whole lot more fuel was injected than needed for start up and it flooded. A reposition of a wire from Tac out on the distributor to the neg on the coil has resolved this.
this is the second start up today. First was about 4 hours ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWhE-859NAc&feature=youtu.be

You can also lock out the mechanical advance on your distributor and set up your timing with the ECU if you wish. Also has the ability to turn on your electric fan as well.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Nicely done Mal! Very clever making your cross tube a surge tank as well. I've been thinking about this system as well as the EZEFI system from FAST but sure which would be better.
I look forward to more info on this thread and maybe more videos too!
Cheers, -Kevin

dlyle

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I've got the Fast EZEFI on my Hillman Husky with a 302 and absolutely love it.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Nicely done Mal! Very clever making your cross tube a surge tank as well. I've been thinking about this system as well as the EZEFI system from FAST but sure which would be better.
I look forward to more info on this thread and maybe more videos too!
Cheers, -Kevin

Kevin, I will post details of how it runs when I get back on the road. The short drive I have done in it went well. It felt like it had better throttle response and midrange power.

Cheers Mal

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Here is the full kit you get for your 2k.

Having to have a larger vent the garage fuel stink increased so I made myself a charcoal canister to absorb the fumes. I put a roll over vent in he bottom and bought some activated carbon from the pet supply store. It is used in filters for fish tanks. Then connected the vent tube to the top. I could solder the vent in the cap closed now.

Mal

Doug C

Gold forum user
Fuel Injection

I was just wondering - any updates regarding having or using a fuel injection system? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated, not only by me but I am sure others out there.

Thanks,

Tweak

Silver forum user
CAT Member
My stroked 302 has not been installed yet, but it has been run on the dyno. I used the FiTech efi on it. The engine was run on a carb for tuning runs before the FiTech was installed. When installing we also enabled the FiTech to control ignition timing. After three or four pulls and some run time the system matched the carb for peak power and showed some mid-rpm improvements.

It will be months before the car hits the streets, but I can't wait. I think this efi is going to be awesome.

VinceB

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Any updates FiTech, Others, etc?

My newer tiger is out being dipped and stripped. Thinking of using an EFI system and figured this is the time to think about in tank pump vs. external, return lines, etc.

Are folks happy with their system? Anyone want to chime in as why they bought what they bought and would they again?

I would think the aftermarket systems continue to evolve. Any words of advice are encouraged - thanks!

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Well

Positives.
It's fun.
Easy tuning, clean hands :) Though it would be tuned better by a tuner.
I had a improved light and mid range power increase feel.
Easy cold starting and running.
Looks cool.

Negative.
The ECU let me down when we were 3 hours from home. We had to put it on the back of a breakdown truck to get it and us home. They said it failed due to heat but say you can mount it in the engine bay. I told them that i had it in the cockpit away from engine heat. In the end even though the warrenty had expired the did replace the ECU. I have taken it off the false floor and tied it up under the dash. Perhaps with headers behind the false floor there is to much heat there.
Would i do it again. If I have no more problems with the ECU I probably would.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Can you share any noticeable differences in fuel consumption between using a carb and the EFI setup? I'm wondering if theres a milage improvement of any kind.
Thanks! -Kevin

Positives.
It's fun.
Easy tuning, clean hands :) Though it would be tuned better by a tuner.
I had a improved light and mid range power increase feel.
Easy cold starting and running.
Looks cool.

Negative.
The ECU let me down when we were 3 hours from home. We had to put it on the back of a breakdown truck to get it and us home. They said it failed due to heat but say you can mount it in the engine bay. I told them that i had it in the cockpit away from engine heat. In the end even though the warrenty had expired the did replace the ECU. I have taken it off the false floor and tied it up under the dash. Perhaps with headers behind the false floor there is to much heat there.
Would i do it again. If I have no more problems with the ECU I probably would.

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Plus & Minus

So, the advantages appear to be initial self tuning, quick start and clean with no gas in carb bowl and no smell. May be more efficient so better milage, and possibly improved performance low and midrange.

Negatives are considerable modifications to fuel system and extra electronic components to install and maintain. More difficult to fix and repair when things go wrong, especially overtime (10-15 years from now). Performance gains may be subjective or minimal. Plus you're adding a high tech system to a classic car.

In 2004 I bought a new Harley and went with the new EFI. I did some modifications to the engine and had to buy software to use with a laptop to tune it. It has worked well enough, but now I am having second thought due to the fact the technology is now 13 years old. The software runs on Windows XT and try to find a laptop that will use that old software. I wonder if the EFI parts are still available? I plan to keep my Tiger a long time, so for these reasons I'll stick to a carb for now. But, we all pick and choose which mods to make if we're not sticking to stock. Cliff

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Can you share any noticeable differences in fuel consumption between using a carb and the EFI setup? I'm wondering if theres a milage improvement of any kind.
Thanks! -Kevin

Kevin. No better fuel economy. Maybe using a litle more though saying that I think I was running on the lean side with the carb. I suppose if it was a bit on the rich side I would see an improvement.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
So, the advantages appear to be initial self tuning, quick start and clean with no gas in carb bowl and no smell. May be more efficient so better milage, and possibly improved performance low and midrange.

Negatives are considerable modifications to fuel system and extra electronic components to install and maintain. More difficult to fix and repair when things go wrong, especially overtime (10-15 years from now). Performance gains may be subjective or minimal. Plus you're adding a high tech system to a classic car.

In 2004 I bought a new Harley and went with the new EFI. I did some modifications to the engine and had to buy software to use with a laptop to tune it. It has worked well enough, but now I am having second thought due to the fact the technology is now 13 years old. The software runs on Windows XT and try to find a laptop that will use that old software. I wonder if the EFI parts are still available? I plan to keep my Tiger a long time, so for these reasons I'll stick to a carb for now. But, we all pick and choose which mods to make if we're not sticking to stock. Cliff

Perobably the biggest advantage is the easy inital tune and cold start. I have the hand held control to tune the system which is as far as I should go anyway. If you have a engine which has large cam then you may need to use the softwear and a lap top.
A well tuned carb will produce as much power as a efi system if you know hat you are doing. I had to turn the settings well down to recommened to get it to start when hot. It was dumping to much start up fuel in and flooding it when hot. I probably am at the lower end of the power recommendation for the system so it makes sence.