Tiger intake

unbeam

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Searching the threads about intake manifold choices, am a bit confused. I see the new low rise "Tiger" manifold for about $550 on ebay. Can I assume this is the Blue Thunder manufactured manifold? There seems to be one listed as low rise, and another as high rise by Blue Thunder. Tried to open pictures, but could not. There is a thread discussing manifold choices, but could not open those pictures. Does the low rise Tiger one work well? Saw good recommendations for the high rise, and available through Bill Martin, for a higher flowing engine. Seem to remember the original Tiger manifold was not felt to be much better than the cast iron Ford one. Thanks, David

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Try Opening the Photos Twice

Tried to open pictures, but could not. There is a thread discussing manifold choices, but could not open those pictures.

For some reason, I have to open the attached photos twice before I can see them. I am using Internet Explorer. If there is a single photo attached to a post, I click to open, but the photo does not show up - just a dark window where the photo should be. I then click on the small x in the corner to make the small window go away. Then I click on the attached photo again, and this time it does open and I can see the photo.

When there are multiple photos, I click on the first, which does not open. I then click on the NEXT button and cycle through all the photos. When the last photo does not appear, I click on the FIRST button, and the first photo now shows. When I click on the NEXT button, I do see the next photo.

I don't know why it takes two times to see an attached photo, but this workaround does work for me. I don't know if this is your problem. Good luck!

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Intake

Hi David, I am currrently running a "Tiger" low rise, it looks identical to a mid sixties cast iron Ford 4 barrel, only in aluminum with Tiger on the front runner. It works very well on my engine. Bill Martin sells the "Tiger" high rise, and looks identical to the Blue Thunder version, you can tell this as it has an extra strengthening rib on each side where the bolt holes go, and F4B doesn't have this and is a snick taller than the F4B. The Tiger hi rise will fit under the stock hood as I have seen them being used on cars at shows. If you search some of the Shelby GT350 forums under intakes, the hi rise that what was used on those cars were the same as the Blue Thunder intakes with various names like COBRA, FORD, SHELBY, TIGER and a few others. There is a thread on a Shelby forum that states that the period Hi rise used on the Shelby's were made by Offenhauser and there is a stamp on the underside that identifies this. I'm sure they would breath better and would be more suited to higher RPM's . Having said this, there are many selections of intakes that other Tiger owners use, and owners would say why they use them on their particular engine build. There are many factors involved and a few things to think about with this choice, coupled with carb size, cam grind, heads and so on. Some people like period speed parts and some like a more modern approach. I hopes this helps narrow down your choice.;)
Brian

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Why are you changing manifolds?

I ask because when modifying your engine? The intake manifold is not to be considered on it's own. The first question is what kind of driving you do. Second how does that translate to engine tuning. Not just setting the timing but your intake components need to be compatible.

In general if you are looking for horsepower? That will require a large bore carburetor, a cam that features a power peak something beyond 6,000 rpm and a free flowing exhaust.

Be honest. If you are looking at the manifold for "show" or if you will be driving conservatively? go for a low rise manifold. As a bonus.. the correct tiger script manifold was LAT listed and so is considered "stock". :rolleyes:

Rick

unbeam

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for all the great info, it is amazing what accumulated wisdom is on this forum. Am looking for a driveable engine, with focus on torque not maximum power. The low rise seems right to me. David

TAH_Tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
manifold

The low rise also gives you the added space for a much needed heat spacer between manifold and carburetor.:)

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Intakes

Just wondering if anyone has used the new repop “Blue Thunder” hi-rise Tiger intake and how they like it. Any feedback?
Brian

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Intake

Special thanks goes to the only CAT member who had the time, knowledge, and intestinal fortitude to answer this question. Kudos goes to you Warren for your message :) I’m not sure where I would be without his help.

Doug C

Gold forum user
Special thanks goes to the only CAT member who had the time, knowledge, and intestinal fortitude to answer this question. Kudos goes to you Warren for your message :) I’m not sure where I would be without his help.
To bad Warren did not post his knowledge on this subject so others could benefit from his experience.

Warren

Gold forum user
Caution may include opinions.

Got a personal message by email or otherwise.
I had a Tiger scripted manifold, probably a second run unit. I sold it on as the data from the time suggested F4b was better performing. My personal opinion is that the Blue Thunder is advertised as a higher performance than the stock low rise scripted manifold. The finish appears to be different as well.
I don't know why it could be included as a stock reasonable facsimile. Brian has a MK2 and to put a obviously non original and non vintage part is a personalized vs LAT decision.
It's getting so I'm chicken about moving this to personalized section :O

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
The blue thunder manifold is in fact made from the ordinal Cobra manifold tooling for the 289 Hipo motor. This manifold has been updated over the years
to flow better with more modern Aluminum heads and aggressive roller cams.

I have had both the F4B and an early Tiger lat high rise manifold on my Tiger. If you have a well built 289/302/347 motor meaning good heads like AFR's and a aggressive roller cam you will net out a minimum of 50 hp with the new blue thunder manifold. The runners are huge and flow well with a large 650 Holley
blue printed carb. I would recommend a hood scoop for clearance although a stock air cleaner and stock hood will work if you mill about .25" off the base.

There are very few of these repoped manifolds out there right now, perhaps just a few. I bought 99% of the last run of 30 or so and those are all now sold or committed. I don't know when the next run will be made if ever.

Moondoggie

Warren

Gold forum user
Appearances

My personalized car has a Weiand Stealth. Soon it'll be more Modified then Personalized so I may need more power at that time.

Commenting only on Brian's specific use, or planned usage.
I don't think I could own a MK2 just because I'd feel bad modding it and then I'd be chicken to drive it like I have seen some do like Gary H.
I've seen the Blue Thunder in eBay from time to time. Different strokes for different folks. Buy what you like run what you brung.

PS There is another thread which addresses filter and hood fitment.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
sorta off topic but...

Speaking of Gary H. ... I hope he doesn't mind me posting a pic from years ago at Grants Pass.
The old 'fan blade through the rad' trick :O Ouch!
Believe it or not, car was repaired and at the concours next day!

Attachments

• DSC_0043.JPG
    DSC_0043.JPG
    438 KB · Views: 132