LAT 79 Hood fitting

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Hello all,

I am going to use this forum to post the progress on the installation of a LAT 79 hood I purchased from Dale.

I hope to show a successful method to cut the hood to the proper size (1/8" gap) then the prep and painting.

First of all, I got this sweet hood from Dale A. (http://www.dalesresto.com/links.html) I paid $700 + $200 for the crate + $100 shipping. To my door, $1K.

I felt that the hood would work much better if the air could be channeled much closer to the carb before being dumped into the engine compartment. As you can see, the air scoop will allow the air to enter well before the carb.
So, I found a Corvette restoration shop and took the hood to them for additional fiberglass work. After some head scratching, we came up with a solution. A removable fiberglass panel that will channel the are to 4" before the air filter.

Started with , marking the hood where the carb and filter was and then made a cardboard pattern. High density foam is used to seal the sides.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now with a floor to the intake, I can make a foam insert to be used in the cold and or rain.
attachment.php

The panel is curved to eliminate vibration at speed.
attachment.php

Last edited:

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Brackets and hardware used to secure the panel. I wanted it removable for painting, cleaning and that one in a million bird strike in the scoop possibility.
attachment.php

Forward stop for the panel.
attachment.php

I will be fitting the hood next month and will continue with pictures and text on how I am doing it. Lucaly, the Corvette shop is there to fix any mistakes.;)

attachment.php

Last edited:

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Very interesting project! I am vaguely aware of some variations on the theme for doing this sort of thing but have seen nothing about how effective it is. Any possibility of doing something to measure the effectiveness of the mod? Maybe quarter mile times, dyno runs with and without?)
It would also be interested to know if this has any effect on cooling. My, perhaps incorrect, understanding of the original LAT hood is that it was designed for cooling purposes. Supposedly the air was to enter the front of engine bay (low?) and flow over the exhaust manifolds, exiting at the two openings at the back of the hood. Perhaps having the two openings at the back will still help exhaust hot air from the engine bay anyway (say coming through the radiator). Maybe your mod gets the best of both worlds. Please let us know if you learn anything on these factors, if you come across them.

Regards, Gene

Tigrrr

Silver forum user
Watching

I also have an LATY-79 hood that still has to be fitted properly. I'm really interested to see how you do it. Please explain everything like you would to a kindergartener because I have zero experience in this! I'm looking forward to seeing new postings. Thanks.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Duke, Happy New Year! Any news on the hood fitting yet? Cheers!

Too damned cold......Has not been much above freezing since I got back from Xmas. We are expecting a HIGH of -2 on Saturday. Garage is just dangerous right now. I may cry uncle and take it somewhere to be fitted. My wife wants me to anyway.

I live on Fort Leavenworth BTW.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Well, it looks like where I posted the pics has kicked them off. Will have to find another place to host them.

I have decided to take the car and have the hood fitted and painted by a competent shop. Will cost $$$$ but it’s still too damned cold and I have too many projects planned before the show season this year to have it laid up due to a botched hood fit by myself.

segrave

Gold forum user
Staff member
CAT Member
Duke you don't have to post the picture elsewhere and link to them, you can upload pics with your posts. Just hit the Manage Attachments button before you post. You are offered 10 slots and ten "Browse" buttons. Youst hit the browse then you navigate to the picture on your hard drive up to 10 per post then hit "upload".

Steve

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
steve i will put a disclaimer on Duke for that... Duke.. i loce your pics.. but please resize them.!!!!

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
I cannot get into my original post to edit it. Why the time limited edit? You should always be able to edit your posts. This is common on other boards I frequent.

Thanks,

segrave

Gold forum user
Staff member
CAT Member
Duke...

There is a good security reason. Right now over ridden so you should be able to fix your posts and pix.

Steve

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
UNCLE!................I dropped the car off yesterday to have the hood fitted and painted. Should be ~$1K. Its at a shop that specializes in Mustang restoration. One of the guys that will be working on the car had a Tiger and has done several LAT hoods. I feel good having them do the work. I specified between 2/16" - 3/16" of a panel gap.

Here is the shop's web site - http://www.r-amotorsports.com/

Last edited:

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
duke001.jpg

Hood is just about complete with install. It is getting another coat of paint due to the shop's first try not matching.

Shot of the inside -

duke003.jpg

Black panel will also be painted red along with the hood rod bracket.

Over all, looks to be great job of shaving the hood which was 1/4" larger than the opening all the way around. I specified no larger than a 3/16" panel gap.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
its getting there Duke, sorry to hear about the paint match issue.. its quite obvious n the photos.. you'd think they wouldn't call you to pick it up.. they'd just start again.

Hopefully i'll start the install on mine later this year....

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
you'd think they wouldn't call you to pick it up.. they'd just start again.

Hopefully i'll start the install on mine later this year....

They did, I got these photos from them and they told me that they would have to re paint the hood. It is a great shop.

I'll be picking the car up tomarrow, I'll post better photos.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Picked her up today.....

002.jpg

The Tiger had some good company at the shop.

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

I need some screens for the "out" ducts.

Now with some brake improvements and it will be ready for a more powerful engine.

segrave

Gold forum user
Staff member
CAT Member
Cars looking great Duke. What are those wheels ? Are they 13's ?