High Torque Starter fit

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi All,
Could any of you that have one confirm that the MSD5090 will fit a Tiger with a 6 bolt bellhousing and Toploader 4 speed? If not, any recommendations? All of the high torque starter specs say they only fit automatics and 5 speeds, I could only find one OEM style that said it fit a 4 speed.
Thanks,
Bob K.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Bob,

I have one on my Tiger and it fits just fine. I have a 302 with 6 bolt bell housing and Tremec TKO 600 plus headers. As long as you have a good sound Flywheel the starter bolts right up and the base is adjustable so the motor can be tilted to fit between headers no problem. IT's a very nice starter with a very heavy powder coat finish which repels heat.

Moondoggie

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Great, thanks, I'll get one on the way.

Bob,

I have one on my Tiger and it fits just fine. I have a 302 with 6 bolt bell housing and Tremec TKO 600 plus headers. As long as you have a good sound Flywheel the starter bolts right up and the base is adjustable so the motor can be tilted to fit between headers no problem. IT's a very nice starter with a very heavy powder coat finish which repels heat.

Moondoggie

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
HA! Dawg is a closet MSD fan! No way in hell would I have a MSD starter on my car (TIC)............tha horror ;)

Wow this must be a worlds record...what it took all of 5 minutes to respond..lol

MSD does make some nice stuff and it just so happens that this starter
is about as good as it gets..well made and engineered...billet mounting plate
that is adjustable...high quality motor parts...sexy red finish !! Works everytime even on 12:1 compression gargantuan Cobra motors..now if they could get the starter motor engineer working on the distributor and AL6 ingition line...well who knows what might happen :D

Moondoggie

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
I went with a HiTorque starter. http://www.hitorque.com/

Has worked flawlessly with my 10.8:1 347. Paid $175. Is clockable and tucked up nicely against the block and away from the headers. It can be R&Red easily.

005-4.jpg

004-7.jpg

002-8.jpg

Wow this must be a worlds record...what it took all of 5 minutes to respond..lol
Actually - 1 hour 16 minutes to respond.

Last edited:

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Yeah but for seventy five more bucks you get a finished starter !!!

Couple of observations : That cross over pipe is putting a bunch of heat into your tranny. I am eliminating my cross over pipe because it does boil your oil which is not good. I am also rerouting my fuel line away from the headers
due to vapor lock and what is that 90 degree tee doing for you ???

Moondoggie

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Couple of observations : That cross over pipe is putting a bunch of heat into your tranny. I am eliminating my cross over pipe because it does boil your oil which is not good. I am also rerouting my fuel line away from the headers due to vapor lock and what is that 90 degree tee doing for you

Old pic, new (larger) fuel line has been run away from headers with no rubber connection there and it has a heat shield over it. Will eliminate the crossover once I get a TKO.

What does "finished" starter mean. :confused:

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Looks just like the nippon denso on my Harley. Or the one on my buddies Toyota.

This unit is designed for the Ford application using the Manual transmission. The unit is similar to the IMI-106 but has a shorter pinion depth.

Genuine Nippon Denso starter motor coupled to our patented design.

Yup!

Twin Turbo Tiger

Gold forum user
I just went to Checkers and got a starter for a 302 with a one wire and stuck it on and also got one for the other tiger that has my old 331 setup and both have been in for more than 3 yrs
I'm on a tight budget can't have all that high dollar stuff
And by the way I've had my MSD 6al and coil in the car for over 10 yrs and no problems and its all mounted inside the car in the foot well on the pass. Side :)

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
And by the way I've had my MSD 6al and coil in the car for over 10 yrs and no problems and its all mounted inside the car in the foot well on the pass. Side :-)[/QUOTE said:
So your the guy the tech's would talk about !!! My first 6AL ignition was bought in 2000 and over the next three years I went thru a total of 6 ignition boxes for the same defect....over heated and failed components. One of the last Tech's that I dealt with said there was a guy that had one that was still working...so it must be you. Three years ago they finally redesigned the 6AL
from the ground up but I still hear about the failures from the Cobra guys.
Thinking about it tho...you might not be drawing much power with that punny small block motor...just saying

Moondoggie

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Not science

"you might not be drawing much power with that punny small block motor...just saying"

Dog,

The ignition system is blind to yours or my displacement inside the engine. Timing does not care. Distributor advance is not intimidated by wasted potential and I have never seen coils recommended for engines under say 5 liters only!

Think before you post about your bias to too much is just right. I think you have regretted it before. Most Tiger owners do not have or even want a stroker. My 260 is a hoot to drive. Not as fast as my 302 but not bad and actually better for most of my driving.

Try posting something that is positive and constructive. Please.

Rick

Twin Turbo Tiger

Gold forum user
So your the guy the tech's would talk about !!! My first 6AL ignition was bought in 2000 and over the next three years I went thru a total of 6 ignition boxes for the same defect....over heated and failed components. One of the last Tech's that I dealt with said there was a guy that had one that was still working...so it must be you. Three years ago they finally redesigned the 6AL
from the ground up but I still hear about the failures from the Cobra guys.
Thinking about it tho...you might not be drawing much power with that punny small block motor...just saying

Moondoggie

I've never had any contact with anyone from MSD and I've heard of a lot of whinning about there stuff SO THAT MUST be you:)
You must still be one of the purist that is running a generator and trying to make new technology work LOL

Roadpir8

Bronze forum user
Hi Torque Starter vs Summit Starter

In preparation for installing headers I ordered a new starter. I found the Hi-Torque starter available from Sunbeam Specialties, Part# AS50G for $215.00. I also have on hand the Summit Racing Protorque Starters, Part# SUM-820055 for $201.97.
I ordered the Hi-Torque after seeing some recent reviews on the Summit Racing starter about heat issues and the solenoid. The Hi-Torque appears to have a sturdier build and is notably heavier than the Summit starter. Rick from Sunbeam Specialties said the owner of Hi-Torque has a Tiger, so I will be installing the Hi-Torque starter, fingering he has a vested interested in having the best possible starter for a Tiger.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-820055
http://www.rootes.com/catalog3color.pdf

Attachments

• Starters Front.jpg
    Starters Front.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 198
  • Starters back.jpg
    Starters back.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 183

Roadpir8

Bronze forum user
SO, it turns out that the Hi-Torque starter available from Sunbeam Specialties, Part# AS50G, is for Alpine's only. They took it back, no problems, thanks Rick.

So now I have the Summit Racing Protorque Starter, Part# SUM-820055 installed. Works great and fits great with club headers. My Alpine Conversion has a 6 bolt 289 along with the narrow case 4 speed top-loader like a regular Tiger.

I saw in some of the reviews on Summit that folks were possibly having heat related issues with the solenoid. I have had it in for over month now and no issues.

On a side note, the guy who did my header install, a bloke from England who comes into my area to work on cars a couple times a year, said the fit of the club headers was great! He said they were the best he had seen.