Restoration in UK on STOC forum

Brad1380

Bronze forum user
Engine

Thanks Lads,
will give me something to read tonight as i'm away from home at the moment with work.

Vinreeb

Silver forum user
A torque arm does the Job of anti tramp bars.
But it is mounted to the drivetrain via the differential and not the springs.
a torque arm is much longer than traction masters and will be bolt to the center part of the X-frame. The main advantage is increased stiffnes against rotation and no Strain on the front spring mounts.
Serch the forum for "Dan walters Torque arm" , Duke posted some beautiful pictures of it :)

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Here ya go -

035.jpg

Brad1380

Bronze forum user
Torque arm

thanks, i've never seen anything like that before, i guess its to stop rear spring wind up under acceleration.
I don't suppose any of you have tried a Mumford link?

Brad1380

Bronze forum user
Also how does this improve traction? when i was much younger i read articles on the 'funny cars' having their spring mounts changed to help with laying rubber lines down at the strip.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Brad, the torque arm stops axel tramp by preventing the axel housing rotating forward under load which is what causes the leaf springs to deflect and then wind up. The advantage of the torque arm is it doesnt effect ride like the traction bars as it allows the axel to move up and down freely. So you can run softer springs and not suffer the spring windup

Brad1380

Bronze forum user
Thankyou gents, i'm learning all the time )

I think i'll go the 347 route as the RS engine i was looking at has a new crank & con rods anyway, so stroking the engine isn't really going to add a great deal to the cost as they are just alternatives.

Be back home next week so once i have cleared the 'wifes' list of jobs i'll get on with the Tiger.

chirodoc

Gold forum user
RESTORATION IN UK

BE AWARE OF THE IMBALANCE OF THE CRANKSHAFT, AND RECIPROCATING ASSEMBLY, 28oz OR 50oz. YOU MUST MATCH THE FLYWHEEL AND VIBRATION DAMPER TO THAT IMBALANCE. THE DAMPER BOLT PATTERN HAS TO BE A 3 HOLER TO USE THE TIGER DAMPER PULLEY. THEN THERE IS THE BELL HOUSING FOR THE 6 BOLT MODEL BLOCK TO ADAPT TO THE NARROW BOLT PATTERN ON THE TIGER TOPLOADER. CURRENTLY QUICK TIME IS THE ONLY MANUFACTURER THAT MAKES THAT ADAPTER SCATTERSHIELD-BELLHOUSING WITHOUT MODIFICATION, JUST LIKE DUKE HAS ON HIS 347 MOTOR.
ROGER

Brad1380

Bronze forum user

Well i've got a 1964 289 engine at the builders for inspection, any recommendations as to an engine spec i.e solid lifter, roller, eldelbrook or holly, that type of thing.
I do want to keep the 289 firing order though.

Brad1380

Bronze forum user
Paint

Hi Guys,
looks like i can now afford the paint job, been looking at the various Rootes paint codes & to be honest i'm now a bit confused.
I was after something like Austin Healey Metallic Blue but not sure what the closest Rootes colour is, as images on google seem to vary in colour a lot.

Cheers
Brad

Brad1380

Bronze forum user
My Silly painter

My painter has done a fabulous job on the prep work apart from filling in most of the holes on the front fenders for some reason best known to himself, so basically everything to the start of the Tiger emblem is ok i think, after that there is nothing on both sides.
So missing the last side stripe, the 3 prong emblem badge and i think most of the Tiger script.
Does anyway have some measurements or a template as this is the last thing before final paint coat now.

Thanks in advance
Brad

steven

Gold forum user
On this forum stock/body/side strip holes has a PDF with the dimensions for the side holes

Brad1380

Bronze forum user
What was quite funny at the time was his wife was there with young children who where learning to count, so it went something like one, two, three, four, no five, no six, no seven, no eight...
They thought it was funny as he was showing off his handy work, then they did it on the other side :)

Brad1380

Bronze forum user
Found a pdf for the side trim holes, does anyone have something for the 3 pin badge ones?

Attachments

• Tiger Side Molding Holes Placement.pdf
    419.6 KB · Views: 111