Radiator Core Source

SunbeamTgr

Silver forum user
CAT Member
My current Mk l restoration project needs a Radiator core replacement. My radiator shop says core prices have gone out of sight. Mine H.D. core will cost $485!! Any ideas for a better source for cores?

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Normal Costs

That seems to be the norm for a quality replacement . . . . .:O

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My current Mk l restoration project needs a Radiator core replacement. My radiator shop says core prices have gone out of sight. Mine H.D. core will cost $485!! Any ideas for a better source for cores?

Is it worth spending a bit more and getting one of dale's or mod Tigers radiators?

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Hoghead - core or radiator? Just curious as when my new engine goes in this summer I may want to upgrade my 50 yr old unit.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Gee, Tiger parts at Summit

Well, who-da-thunk, Summit, for a TIGER rad!

AND NOT a universal one!

One suggestion, take steps to keep that NICE new Rad clean!

Check out the Rad filter available from CAT parts.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Check out the Summit link, above....

... The rad IS for a TIGER!

I just assumed, coming from Summit, that it would be a universal type.

NOT the case!

Is it THE BEST for ALL Tigers?

...maybe all STOCK Tigers.... maybe....

...what ever % that is, these days.....:rolleyes:

Let's just say.... the Jury is still out....

....for the last 30 .... or 40 ....YEARS....:cool:

Warren

Gold forum user
Griffin

What's an exact fit mean��. That does not compute.....
Is there anything that is an exact fit on a old car....

Griffins can look nice with dressed welds and painted satin black.

Dan is referring to a Gano filter to keep the chunks of block out of the radiator.

SunbeamTgr

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I am putting this Mk l back as STOCK, original 260, 2 bbl carb, steel wheels, hub caps, so I do plan on a rebuild of this radiator. Brian F. put me onto a shop in Vancouver, B.C. that may be able to help sourcing a core. I will keep you all informed. Thanks for the interest!

Charlie_N

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Ron Davis in Phoenix also has a Tiger radiator although their prices seam to be approaching $700. They had a unit that had a 2 3/8 thick core but had some complaints and has since reduced the core to 1 3/4 wide.
second the use of the Club Gano filter. I was having a terrible time last summer with overheating. I had to have the end of the cap cut off to access and clean out the tubes.
Charlie N

DSCN5072 (480x360).jpg

DSCN5073 (480x360).jpg

Warren

Gold forum user
I have

A stock 2 row from B382001345 a car that was a total cut up by DPO in 1990 something. I also have one that according to the previous owner had upgraded Cat Club three row core. It is stock appearing bit for the thickness of the core. I have seen stock ones come up for sale from time to time. I've also asked how many rows did an original rad have and still hear crickets in the silence.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I too am from Vancouver, and after having my Healey rad re-cored 2 years ago, decided it is better to keep the original and buy new tech.
I used Central Valley Radiators in Maple Ridge for the Healey

I spoke to Ron Davis before buying the Griffith from Summit as it seemed to me that the core spec was the same, in the number of rows, density, size......
I did not get a good answer as to the price difference so bought the Griffith
I am now deliberating if I will lose any cooling capability by painting the aluminium flat black for a stock look.

If using an aluminium rad, you should think of installing a zinc anode in the drain hole. I posted about his a year or so ago on the forum

Crap filter of course, and do not forget to replace, remove, or clean the heater element before installing that new rad

It probably will not last as long as the copper rad, and aluminium has a lower heat transfer rate than copper. Lighter however, and new cars use aluminium so I thought to give it a go as my overheating experience over the past 45 years has been stellar.
BTW this go around is a stockish 260 so the Griffith should be fine

I am sure we have all read the TEAE cooling article and noted the benefit on a reduced diameter fan pulley. I gave up trying to find this pulley, and do not like the look of a dual sheave, so I decided to have a small CNC run of reduced diameter billet aluminium fan pulleys made.
Single sheave, Tiger specific centre hole, so paint, polish, powdercoat, or use raw as you wish.
Jim alias 66TigerMK1A is my JV partner in this, and will have these for sale to club members with details posted on the Hobby Vendor page once I get these over to Jim.

Basketcase

Bronze forum user
cooling

I too am from Vancouver, and after having my Healey rad re-cored 2 years ago, decided it is better to keep the original and buy new tech.
I used Central Valley Radiators in Maple Ridge for the Healey

I spoke to Ron Davis before buying the Griffith from Summit as it seemed to me that the core spec was the same, in the number of rows, density, size......
I did not get a good answer as to the price difference so bought the Griffith
I am now deliberating if I will lose any cooling capability by painting the aluminium flat black for a stock look.

If using an aluminium rad, you should think of installing a zinc anode in the drain hole. I posted about his a year or so ago on the forum

Crap filter of course, and do not forget to replace, remove, or clean the heater element before installing that new rad

It probably will not last as long as the copper rad, and aluminium has a lower heat transfer rate than copper. Lighter however, and new cars use aluminium so I thought to give it a go as my overheating experience over the past 45 years has been stellar.
BTW this go around is a stockish 260 so the Griffith should be fine

I am sure we have all read the TEAE cooling article and noted the benefit on a reduced diameter fan pulley. I gave up trying to find this pulley, and do not like the look of a dual sheave, so I decided to have a small CNC run of reduced diameter billet aluminium fan pulleys made.
Single sheave, Tiger specific centre hole, so paint, polish, powdercoat, or use raw as you wish.
Jim alias 66TigerMK1A is my JV partner in this, and will have these for sale to club members with details posted on the Hobby Vendor page once I get these over to Jim.

Im from Delta and read your articles did you get the desired cooling you wanted?

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It's a Griffin Thermal Products radiator, ordered for you by Summit. Comes with warranty from Griffin. Sold by Summit but not at a typical "low" Summit price. When I ordered mine, they said it was not available for 2 weeks (didn't have it in stock, presumably because they order from Griffin when someone wants one). But got it in 5 days. Very nice radiator, but haven't installed it yet so waiting to see how it cools. Cliff