Bellhousing

TigerBob86

Silver forum user
I'm curious what people are using these days to bolt up a 6-bolt block to a narrow toploader?

Thanks,
Bob

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bob,
Other than aftermarket scatter shields, there are a few options. There is a Ford one that needs a few holes and reinforcing. I picked one up on eBay last year for $125. I can dig up the part number if you are interested.
-Kevin

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bob,
The part number is listed on David Kee's website for 1965-1967 289's. The part number is C5DA-6394-A.
Hope this helps.
-Kevin

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bell Conversion

Here's the 6 bolt bell housing conversion we do for the narrow case HEHE. It involves adding aluminum inside to locate the needed bolt holes. Drilling and tapping is pretty straight forward using the case as a template. Just make sure that the nose bearing retainer matches the center bell hole size for proper centering.

Attachments

• Bellhousing conversion 001.JPG
    Bellhousing conversion 001.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 353

gregory schumacher

Bronze forum user
Bell housing

Bob I have a six bolt bell housing modified to also fit a tremic tko transmission media blasted and clear powder coated for sale. Have bolted both my top loader and TKO to it. PM if interested. Greg

TigerBob86

Silver forum user
Thanks for all the great responses. On a previous Tiger I had an aluminum bellhousing that was narrow toploader to 6 bolt. I actually had a spare also. I didn't realize how rare they were at the time.

Attachments

• Tiger 042.jpg
    Tiger 042.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 342

Warren

Gold forum user
Dual pattern

Seen several on eBay but that's when I looked daily. They've @#$&+- it up as now you keyword Sunbeam and get everything that seller say fits Sunbeam.

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for all the great responses. On a previous Tiger I had an aluminum bellhousing that was narrow toploader to 6 bolt. I actually had a spare also. I didn't realize how rare they were at the time.

I'm pretty sure that is a Trans-Dapt piece. It kind of looks like they had a design with a 'front' mold and a 'rear' mold that mated in the middle, and (assuming they made things match) this would allow them to economically make lots of different things fit, without spending a lot of money on unique casting tooling.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I have an old Lakewood scattershield for sale. Used it my Tiger for years and have now gone to a T5 box so no longer needed

It is a very tight fit in a Tiger and some cars require a bit of clearancing at the firewall or clipping the corners of the bell.

PM me if intrested

canbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If memory serves, and I'm talking early 70's, I believe I used an 8 hole bellhousing from an Econoline van when I took out my 260 and replaced it with a 6 bolt 289. Probably pretty hard to find one of those now....