Seeking latest 5 Speed conversion???

ramseyt

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My MK1A top loader is getting pretty noisy and I am nearing a good excuse to convert to a 5 speed as a winter project. Haven't had much luck finding the latest info on an available "plug-n-play" 5 speed conversion. Would love to gain a lower 1st and much taller top gear through the same shifter hole. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user

Warren

Gold forum user
Referrals

Jim has done the best job at responding to the OP's question. The majority of Tiger guys care about price and service rather than who invented the wheel or the transmission so to speak. Vendors may comment in all open threads as they have a license to do so. Friends or overly happy customers with a axe to grind or argument to prove should use PM's or private email to work their solicitations for their favorite vendor. It has been made clear to me that guys are not always not affiliated like they say.

All the vendors are listed in the white pages, and in the vendor section.

ModernDriveline

Bronze forum user
Jim has done the best job at responding to the OP's question. The majority of Tiger guys care about price and service rather than who invented the wheel or the transmission so to speak. Vendors may comment in all open threads as they have a license to do so. Friends or overly happy customers with a axe to grind or argument to prove should use PM's or private email to work their solicitations for their favorite vendor. It has been made clear to me that guys are not always not affiliated like they say.

All the vendors are listed in the white pages, and in the vendor section.

If anyone has a question about a five speed install into a Tiger drop me a note to Bruce@moderndriveline.com. If you have question about flywheels, clutches or bellhousing for four speed I can help. My business line is 208-453-9800.
Regards, Bruce

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Why?

does any Tiger in 2017 get driven daily or over long commutes? why
care about the rpm at 70 mph. Economically it cannot save money to add overdrive to a car in the garage 25 of 30 days a month.

Like wise? Silly to worry about subjecting your cruising Tiger to an rpm well below the limits. :rolleyes:

Tiger Blue

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rev It !!

does any Tiger in 2017 get driven daily or over long commutes? why
care about the rpm at 70 mph. Economically it cannot save money to add overdrive to a car in the garage 25 of 30 days a month.

Like wise? Silly to worry about subjecting your cruising Tiger to an rpm well below the limits. :rolleyes:

Tiger Blue

YUP: They are supposed to sound like that. :cool:

Warren

Gold forum user
Demons be gone

I friend told me he was with Norm and told him of plans to modify a car he is restoring.

What happened next as he tells it was a scene from the Exorcist without the green stuff. Hands were put upon the cranium of the infected and "Demons be Gone, " was chanted purging the unclean thoughts of a modified build.

To me it sounds like the TV show ghost adventures but it's his story. I think there's other factors like his pet name for the project... The money pit....

I say whatever is bolt on off do it . Make your miles as enjoyable as possible.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I have had a 5 speed Tiger and I added an overdrive to my GT350 - best mods I have performed to them. Even though I don't use them for daily driving it sure is a pleasure when I do drive them, and long drives are not feared anymore.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If you can add a 5 speed without panel bashing i think its a worthwhile improvement. I love the sound of the tiger or alpine.... But on the freeway at sustained 60mph+ its nice to just cruise.

My alpine with 3.89 od and 195x65/14's is really comfortable on a long run like when i do 6 hours in a day to events.

steven

Gold forum user
I hear you, my Alpine with a Holbay setup is awsome down the highway. It is good when the webbers hit 3000 the noise is better than any late model car!

Last edited by a moderator:

alyn s

New forum user
5 speed

My wife and I just returned from a 4200 mile trip from Phoenix az. to Nashville Tenn. and back in our 65 tiger. Went with the Goodguys music city road tour. It was a blast. Loud, windy, hot, no ac, but the car was a joy to drive. 5 speed and suspension mods go a long way if your going to travel long distances at 75 and 80+. Drive em!

mjhummel

New forum user
CAT Member
There are only 2 'no cut' setups that I know of...

Bill Martin ... http://moderndriveline.com/Tiger_TKO.htm

Dale A. ... http://catmbr.org/VB_forum/showthread.php?t=4494

They both start out with a TKO 600 ...

Tom Hall might still be making his T5 kit too... http://www.tigerengineering.net/ if so, there are 3 options

Personally...my 5 speed was THE best mod I've ever done... 3.54 gears made it pretty much a necessity though :D
I have had the 3.54 posi rear end since 1976 when racing at Seattle International Raceway (SIR) I want a modern 5 speed for road trips. At 73 years old I mostly cruise around town and wave at people. Young guys say that my car is "sick", but I say it is cool and runs real good.