Remote Oil Filter

CaMtnCat

Bronze forum user
I plan to convert from my stock remote oil filter set up to the Ford M-6880-A50 (Econoline Van) unit.

The shop notes talk about a lack of space with the club headers and grinding the Left front engine mount. The notes also state the Fram PH3600 will work without additional modification. Has anyone done this? do you have any advise or comments? And most importantly does anyone have photos of the installation?

Thanks,
Hap

steven

Gold forum user
I tried to fit the econline, no go with the headers. Ended up with a remote up in the front fender.

CaMtnCat

Bronze forum user
Steven, Thanks for your fast reply.

Could you provide some explanation as to the kind of problem you ran into? It seems this option has been mentioned numerous times but 75 people have view my post but no one has provided any insight as to this option.

I'm wondering if this was a real option in the past but fail to gain acceptance over time and the reasons for that.

Thanks again,
Hap

Warren

Gold forum user
My P.O.S.

Pieces of Sunbeam ;) I had a 260 in the first Tiger it had the short Wix . I believe that you have to change the center screw on that goes into the block. The Econoline that I had also runs a narrower filter and was cast iron . I think Jim AKA 66MK1a has a picture of one I'm his albums. I sold on mine as I thought the skinny filter didn't have much filter paper area, plus I like the idea of getting the oil filter out of the engine compartment just for a heat issue. I believe that headers got bigger it became a bigger and bigger problem I've seen some really teeny ones at the last United and in my junk pile outside.
I have seen guys just use the bottom part of the remote oil cooler twist the lines so they point forward and then add on there oil lines with hose clamps it's a little bush league but effective I suppose you could also braze on fittings on to the tubes yourself and make it look a lot nicer and still keep the same stock bottom fitting to your block. My laptop is acting up so I can't find the pictures right now.

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Hi all,

I hope you don't mind my posing this question in this thread. With all the issues locating a decent-sized filter, has anyone given any thought to using a cartridge-type filter such as those used by BMW? I figure it could fit in place of the stock remote setup. I've looked for an aftermarket kit but haven't seen anything.

-Jon

CaMtnCat

Bronze forum user
Jon,

While attempting to locate a short oil filter to spin directly onto the stock Ford block (filter mount) I tried my Yamaha 1600 filter, a Ford Focus filter, a Ford Sable filter, a Ph3600, and a Napa 1335. I also tried my O'nan generator filter. The Napa 1335 came the closes but would require a dimpled modification to the headers.

I called Fram customer support and asked them to research the spec I was looking for. Those specs were: Filter O.D. <2.45", height <2.48", thread 3/4" X 16.

2 problems caused most filters not to work. 1) the threads on the ones matching the dimensions needed were metric threads, and 2) the rubber seals between the block and the filter were to small of a diameter to properly seal. While they did fit against the block there was less than 1/32" actually making contact between the filter & block sealing surface. I gave up on this approach.

This is why I'm exploring the right angel filter adapter option.

Hap

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
small oil filter

I have not looked for a long time....

...but when i did, the STP brand had the smallest OD.

The app was Renault (2 different threads!)

...not sure STP is still making filters...

Also, not all headers are the same....

pick a flavor.

DW

Doug C

Gold forum user
Not to hijack a thread BUT does the filter size make a big difference if you change it regularly? I ask this because how much do these cars get driven anyway? Just wondering? I am planning on using a econoline filter with LAT TRI Y headers.

Cheers

whiskytangofoxtrot

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I used the canton adapter, it works great, lots of room and is can be clocked. That was a big bonus when I put dales front end on

CaMtnCat

Bronze forum user
Thanks everyone for the feedback. My head is spinning from looking at filter specs. Searching by vehicle / engine is not real helpful as there are so many cross references. I found several filters that matched the specs, matched a vehicle (Lotus or Allaince), but then learned that today they are used mainly on lawn tractors????

I will update this search at a later date and hopefully submit pictures.
Hap

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Am I missing something? I've used a Fram PH 3512 or equivalent on a previous 289 and current 302 block with CAT headers? Cliff

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just for everybodies reference again , here is a recent shorty oil filter summary disclosed by another forum member few years back ( all fit directly to the block):

The 4 short filters that work are: FRAM PH3512, Purolator L10101, WIX 51335, and NAPA Gold 1335. The FRAM and Purolator filters don't seem to be manufactured any more. The NAPA is manufactured by WIX and appears to be the exact same filter as the 51335, NAPA stores carry these in-stock.
To use the short filters you will need to use a shorter 1 3/16" nipple (the threaded piece that screws into the block). Ford used to carry these. The part number was D7AZ-6890-B which superceeded to F1AZ-6890-B. I don't know if they still sell them.

I'm using MANN W77 but believe they are not easily available in US...

Rootestang

CAT Member
I tried several remote oil adapters, including transdapt and Canton. None fit with my headers. Dale A sells a rotatable adapter that is high quality and very low profile. It fit with my headers. Solved the problem for me. PM if you want photos. Good Luck,
Bill