Stock example

Warren

Gold forum user
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-sunbeam-tiger/

The pictures submitted on this listing are very helpful to those putting a Tiger back t stock.

The reason I bring this up is 2 fold.
This car is going on the block at Monterey .
There's some talk in Tiger circles of more clearly defined rules as to what is stock vs personalized and modified.

I hope that all the Sunbeams do well on the track or the auction block.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Did it sell 5 months ago or just reach high bid? Curious why he would be selling so soon? It's beautiful, I would make it a driver......

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Very Funny!

This is very funny! Why would anyone think that it is OK for Stock to run anything other than 13" tires? There are plenty of them out there. The only reason I can think is that someone wants to run super sticky rubber in the Autocross and is having trouble locating them. But then super sticky tires should not be allowed in the stock class since Tigers did not come with super sticky tires. Of course, loosen the requirements for 13" tires in stock will have an effect on the sale of 13" tires, hastening their demise. What's next? Well, Ford is not making 260 cid engines anymore, so we should let the Stock class run 5.0 litre engines? Makes about as much sense.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Agree with David,

Not sure how an argument could be put forward for wheels other than 13" steels or LAT9 or 70 13" wheels.

There are plenty of 13" tyres availble... Admittedly they generally fall into two categories generally cheap compact car tyres or.. Semi comp track tyres with lowish profile.

Of course there are more expesive period replica tyres and crossply options... There is choice out there.

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
Hardly

Maybe down under and in the U.K. 13"s are available. I searched for months and could only find 3 different ones. When I stumbled on a BaT posting that named another choice I brought it here.

First off let me go back to the prevailing stated autocross rules as listed in an old Tiger Tales, "Some cheating is allowed."
The possibility of that some cheating as a reality bugs me immensely

Then there's the hidden internal changes quick rack, "not MG," but the new guts in the stock rack.

I remember my first United a Corvette guy turned Tiger and his WTH statement why isn't there a punch list or a guide to in modify or uniform standard. My reaction then was good question is it the B.o.N. or is it trade secrets of pro restorer don't ask me, I learned about cars from the Idiots guide to keeping the VW alive and found my car from a yard sale seller ;)

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Seems Pretty Obvious

When I helped with registration one year at Tigers United, a lot of the registrants asked about what class their Tiger fell into. I felt bad that I could not point them to anything published that would help them. Over the years, it appears that what most people got in the way of guidance was done verbally.
I recently received an email from a friend of mine who was in the British California Tour, which attended the last Tigers United. He expressed (in a very British, non-blaming manner) his frustration with the Concours and the lack of information about preparing for it, such as pulling things out from the trunk, etc. I remember asking a person in charge of the Concours one year about putting out a list of judging criteria, and was told, more or less, that the person had no desire to do subject himself with having to justify the list.

Originally, it seems the classifications were set up for the Concours, and everything seemed fair game for the Autocross. I doubt many folks think this is right, especially for those cars that are trying to run totally stock.

For the purpose of the Autocross, cars in the Stock class should be, well, stock. Things should be as the car came from the factory, except that the LAT options (supplied via the Sunbeam marketing organization to the dealers) are allowed.

The Modified class should contain those cars which have modifications that give them a distinct advantage over a stock car. Such modifications should be spelled out, but should include such things as non-stock carb, intake, headers or exhaust system larger than stock/LAT, non-stock brakes, modifications to suspension, modifications to steering (including the so called “quick racks” as well as powered steering), super-wide wheels, track-type tires, etc. A comprehensive list of modifications that are considered a distinct advantage would need to be spelled out.

Personalized class cars should be cars that have not been modified in such a way to give them an advantage in the Autocross, but the car has been changed from stock. The most obvious change is a non-Sunbeam car color. Others would be changes to interior (including seats), instrument panel, sound system, 5 speed tranny, wheels (including perhaps larger diameter), and body modifications.

The most important thing would be to have the “official” classification system be developed openly with the input of a variety of individuals. The result needs to be published far in advance of the TU where it will be used, and that it be consistently applied and not leave it up to an individual involved with the TU to “make the call”. If something wasn’t considered and put into the written classification document, it should be reviewed by an appropriate team.

And the same should apply to the Concours judging criteria. People should not be penalized for not having a factory option, for example. The judging criteria for all three classes should be documented and shared with the participants well before the event.

Warren

Gold forum user
Wow

Well said Dave.

The reason I started this thread was that there's a somewhat behind the scenes discussion about the classifications. What that means is some STOA guys and some CAT guy's are exchanging emails and we're saying that they would get together in Monterey to discuss the aberrations and look the other way practice. Now I'm not focusing on a quick rack or 13" tires.
Dave brings up fantastic points some guys never fit the hard top as they don't want to footprint or otherwise damage soft paint. I can only imagine how one would feel having one at home and then see other cars get a heavy bump up.

Now it's pretty easy to Tech a car and while the front end is up check lock to lock turns.
It would be great to have a copy of the classification checklist attested to by owner with complete build data. Any noted discrepancies would be sent to a board for review or clarification with owner.

It's supposed to be a fun event. Now that doesn't mean that like A.Y.S.O. where everyone is a winner and gets a participant award, but there should be agreed rules of the game that don't change appreciably depending on who's the host club.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Available in the US?

Nice find, but the website seems to be for a company located in Canada. I wondered if these same tires are sold in the US. I did find that Tire Direct has a series of 13" Toyo tires for sale. There is one that would be good for autocrossing (but not in stock class).

http://www.tiresdirect.net/TireSizeSearch.aspx?rim=13&brand=TOYO

I also did a search of all 13" tires on Tire Direct and they have other brands as well.

http://www.tiresdirect.net/TireSizeSearch.aspx?rim=13

There may be other dealers out there that have a variety of tires for 13" rims.