Diff pinion seal weeping oil

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Recently my diff pinion seal has started to badly weep oil. Have bought a leather type seal earlier but looks a bit weird to me. There are modern type rubber seals available as well. Any preferences or experiences out there ? Would Jaguar MkII diff pinion or any other Dana44 seals fit as well ?

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi Dale,

you rescue me. Just to visualize what I have here is the Jaguar MkII rubber type seal . It has an outer diameter of 71.2mm . Can't find the leather type one at the moment but will take a picture later. Don't want to start the job before feeling safe to have the correct replacement...

Attachments

• IMG_20170819_220154.jpg
    IMG_20170819_220154.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 153

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Seals & Seals

DANA 44 seals are quite common. The hard part of the project will be re-torquing the pinion flange . . . . . .

tigerracer

Silver forum user
Hi Dale,

you rescue me. Just to visualize what I have here is the Jaguar MkII rubber type seal . It has an outer diameter of 71.2mm . Can't find the leather type one at the moment but will take a picture later. Don't want to start the job before feeling safe to have the correct replacement...

That seal looks correct to me. I typically order the seal from a Jag or a Jeep, whichever vehicle I think the parts person will understand.

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks. Any opinions whether the modern rubber type of the leather type seal would be better ? I heard the leather keeps soft while rubber hardens out especially when the car is not moved regularily...

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Still no comments:-(

Update: The actually hardest part is to make the pinion nut break loose. Tried it last weekend but no way with whatsoever wrench extension I used. Appearantly have to use an air wrench otherwise no chance...

Warren

Gold forum user
Not done everyday

But if I had .05 cent for every 36mm breaker bar I broke on a VW brake drum nut I'd well have maybe a dollar :) Sometimes the only thing that would work is a really tough air assist ..