Diff yoke bolt

steven

Gold forum user
What is the accepted method of tightening the bolt holding the yoke to the pinion. The Tiger is on stands and the assembler told me the nut needed to be tightened. If I fit the wheels and lower the car, there is no room for a wrench.

67MKII

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just off the top of my head - I would try setting the parking brake.

John

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What is the accepted method of tightening the bolt holding the yoke to the pinion.

The torque spec for that nut is significant, and the parking brake may not hold enough to let you tighten it properly. Make a 18 inch or 2 foot long torque bar from a piece of 1" square 1/8" wall tubing, that has holes drilled so you can bolt it to the U-bolt holes on the yoke. Bolt it to the yoke, and then use one hand to apply force to the torque bar and the other hand on the torque wrench.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Not to get too dub-T, but add to John's idea a few 2x4's and a few bar clamps to the wheels to increase the arm and you will be able to snug that gland nut up no problem. I've done this a number of times....
Cheers, -Kevin

steven

Gold forum user
Thanks for the idea's, used a similar design when I removed the rear axles some years ago. A long bar bolted to the yoke to reach the floor will do nicely