Screw Problem

Utah66

Bronze forum user
Screwed up on screws
I am new and confused. Trying to replace missing & broken bolts. These don't seem easy to source. I have been told the screw threads of fasteners on the body are National Fine, but someone else said British Fine and/or British Fine Pipe. Then there is Whitworth, OMG. I went to local bolt company & got nowhere. So what is the screw thread on our tigers, and is there a source?

Last edited by a moderator:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am new and confused. Trying to replace missing & broken bolts. These don't seem easy to source. I have been told the screw threads of fasteners on the body are National Fine, but someone else said British Fine and/or British Fine Pipe. Then there is Whitworth, OMG. I went to local bolt company & got nowhere. So what is the screw thread on our tigers, and is there a source?

There is a company that stocks a kit of all the crews on the car in stainless.. not cheap but offers everything...

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I think you'll find that most of the fasteners are National Fine... I'm pretty sure there are NO Whitworth or other British threads except for the brake fittings etc.

Here's a link to a fairly complete list ...
http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/KJensenBolts/rt-KJensenBolts1.asp

At the end of the article they list 2 places that sell the stainless kit. I bought one from Totally Stainless and it's been invaluable! You'll have to give them the part# quoted as it's not in their catalogue... I asked them why not and they said it was because they didn't compile the list... fair enough
Of course all the suspension bolts etc. should be replaced with Grade 8 or better...

Jim
B382000446

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
CAUTIONS

Never use stainless on suspension or steering components; they will fracture no matter what the manufacturer claims. Also, always use a thread protector like anti seize on stainless as it will cold weld faster than things rust in New England.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Never use stainless on suspension or steering components; they will fracture no matter what the manufacturer claims. Also, always use a thread protector like anti seize on stainless as it will cold weld faster than things rust in New England.

Just to clarify... that 'kit' doesn't contain ANY bolts for those high strength areas such as engine mounts, suspension, steering etc. ... you have to source those yourself . The article in the link DOES list the sizes required for them, though...

Jim
B382000446

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
I bought a set of Totally Stainless fasteners years and years ago. Still finding them coming in handy on projects around the house.

allfudge

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Totally Stainless

Actually, they do have a chassis and suspension kit. When I called to get the listed kit for the body they told me they have a kit specifically for the chassis and suspension with Grade 8 hardware where required.

I purchased both, and then had to call them back to get the proper screws for the door hinges, which were not included in the base kit.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Don't Do It, Caution

Actually, they do have a chassis and suspension kit. When I called to get the listed kit for the body they told me they have a kit specifically for the chassis and suspension with Grade 8 hardware where required.

I purchased both, and then had to call them back to get the proper screws for the door hinges, which were not included in the base kit.

That grade 8 stainless (25K psi generic, etc) will shear under vibration stresses. It has an excellent tension "pull" factor but not a sideways compression shear. amen

Utah66

Bronze forum user
That grade 8 stainless (25K psi generic, etc) will shear under vibration stresses. It has an excellent tension "pull" factor but not a sideways compression shear. amen

Amen? Yeah, my dad was a preacher, but it didn't rub off. I'm a nice guy, but an atheist, maybe an agnostic on a good day.

So, just to clarify, because i need to buy a tap & die set to keep everything clean, National Fine is it, right? This is the same as Unified National Fine? Sorry to belabor this, but before I buy a tap & die set, I want to be informed. Smitty said the seats were British Fine & the engine, of course, is SAE. I really appreciate you guys who know this stuff inside & out. I love this car, and want to be a good steward. Over time, I will learn.

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
IMHO, a set of thread chasers is better than a set of taps and dies for keeping everything clean.

The taps and dies will of course work, but they really are cutting tools. One runs the risk of removing metal when trying to clean threads with them, causing things not to mesh up as well together (fit looser) relative to how they originally were intended to fit. Again, just a humble personal opinion.:)

Gene

Utah66

Bronze forum user
Threads

Gene,
Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into chasers.

Once again, I'm looking for National Fine, correct? Or Unified National Fine, or are they the same in essence? Thanks for clarification.

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Everything I have seen says that National Fine ("NF") is just shorthand for Unified Fine ("UNF")

BTW, as I understand it, the stock SU fuel pump and lines connections and compression fittings are some sort of British standard pipe threads, or something like that.:)

Gene

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
The bolts that hold the seats to the floor are UNF as I recall. However, there are some long screws in the seat hinge mechanism that I believe are Whitworth threads, of which British Standard Fine is a subset. If you need to replace one, Sunbeam Specialties has them, or at least used to have them.

It is my understanding that our seats were made by a company that made seats for the British airline industry back in the day. (Anyone remember the De Havilland Comet passenger jet liner?) That may explain their rather lightweight construction... Anyway, BSF supposedly was the standard for the British airline industry at that time. Which would explain why the seats have that kind of screw.

Gene