Classic Car Show. UK

tiger260

Gold forum user
This weekend is the UKs National Classic Car Show at the NEC.

STOC had a stand there so I thought I would share a few photos with you guys.

This is AF203..Mk2 Prototype

AF202 Another MK2 prototype but with a 4 speed automatic box.
Currently undergoing a comprehensive restoration.

The mule with Dean McGee

The last Tiger made and sat beside it is the last works rally car.

MK1 restored by Jim Oven

An Alpine slipped onto the stand too.

tiger260

Gold forum user
A few pics of other cars at the show that caught my eye

Nice Ginetta G4

Piper

Short nose Jaguar D type

Lightweight E type

Porsche 917 driven by some guy called Steve McQueen in Lemans.
Please forgive the poor photo.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Great Shots

Thank you for posting some great shots of the Tigers (and the other cars, too)!

Was the white car the Mk II the pilot car? I'm surprised they used round cornered bonnet, boot, and doors (Mk 1 style) instead of the square-cornered ones finally selected (Mk 1A style).

Fantastic showing by STOC - congratulations to all who helped out there. If they give out awards for club stands, you guys deserve to win.

David

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
The Tiger display was great--hopefully make quite a scene there. The Jags and 917's are always impressive to see, they sure made their mark in the racing world back in the day.

tiger260

Gold forum user
Thank you for posting some great shots of the Tigers (and the other cars, too)!

Was the white car the Mk II the pilot car? I'm surprised they used round cornered bonnet, boot, and doors (Mk 1 style) instead of the square-cornered ones finally selected (Mk 1A style).

Fantastic showing by STOC - congratulations to all who helped out there. If they give out awards for club stands, you guys deserve to win.

David

This is what the leaflet that the club were giving out says about AF202.

'AF202. prototype MK2 Built Spring 1965.

It is the prototype Mk2 tiger with a 4 speed (C4 Ford) automatic transmission hooked to the 4.7 litre Ford V8 motor.
With the factory designation AF202 it was to be an export model with all round disc brakes, larger wheels and more.
Cancelled when production costs and thus retail price was too rich for US dealers.
Taken over by Lord Geoffrey Rootes and then by his stepson, this one of a kind Tiger remained with the family for some years.'

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member

It is the prototype Mk2 tiger with a 4 speed (C4 Ford) automatic transmission hooked to the 4.7 litre Ford V8 motor.
With the factory designation AF202 it was to be an export model with all round disc brakes, larger wheels and more.
Cancelled when production costs and thus retail price was too rich for US dealers.
Taken over by Lord Geoffrey Rootes and then by his stepson, this one of a kind Tiger remained with the family for some years.'
Was this car at auction a few year's ago black with black painted bumpers and a reversed hood scoop? Iirc in its period it also had can interesting tiger script on the vertical face of the boot lid

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Cool Information

I had heard that Sunbeam was toying with the idea of 14" wheels and 4-wheel disc brakes, but did not know that they tried it on the Mk II prototype.

I'm no expert in automatic transmissions, but I always thought Ford C-4s were 3 speeds (unless one counts reverse as the fourth gear). It would have been interesting if Sunbeam had gone ahead with the 4 wheel discs and 14" wheels, and even with the automatics.

David

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
UK

didn't rick @ sunbeam specialties have a prototype MK 2 with 14 inch wheels several years ago?

tiger260

Gold forum user
I had heard that Sunbeam was toying with the idea of 14" wheels and 4-wheel disc brakes, but did not know that they tried it on the Mk II prototype.

I'm no expert in automatic transmissions, but I always thought Ford C-4s were 3 speeds (unless one counts reverse as the fourth gear). It would have been interesting if Sunbeam had gone ahead with the 4 wheel discs and 14" wheels, and even with the automatics.

David

dlyle

Gold forum user
CAT Member
didn't rick @ sunbeam specialties have a prototype MK 2 with 14 inch wheels several years ago?

He still has it. It's right there when you walk in the door at Sunbeam Specialties. The last several years it has been apart getting some items like the front end painted.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
UK

He still has it. It's right there when you walk in the door at Sunbeam Specialties. The last several years it has been apart getting some items like the front end painted.

the last time I saw it was 1995. we bought a Beam from a guy in Los Gatos and I drove out and picked it up at Rick's. isn't Rick's car RHD?

tiger260

Gold forum user
Was this car at auction a few year's ago black with black painted bumpers and a reversed hood scoop? Iirc in its period it also had can interesting tiger script on the vertical face of the boot lid

Michael.

Info about AF202 courtesy of Graham Vickery.

RRR 'Body in White' supplied by Pressed Steel to Jensen late '64. Built January/February '65 - 1st registered Feb '65 probably with a manual transmission. Ford Inc assembly order dated July '65 records 289 + C6 (my mistake in the NEC handout saying C4) being shipped to Rootes. TRANSMISSION SPEC:
1. Ford Automatic with revised governor control to raise gear change speeds to 4,500 r.p.m.
2. Transmission oil cooler
3. L.H.D. gear controls
4. Experimental dipstick fitted
5. 2.88/1 diff unit. Power lok. Soon after conversion to auto and testing, Rootes cancelled the auto Tiger, along with some other planned permutations of the MKII. In '66 it was taken over by Baron Geoffrey Rootes and later by his stepson leaving the family in 1971 but not before acquiring the registration number '820 R'. In recent years owned by Ray Murray 1982-2000, Me (Graham Vickery) 2000 - 2008. Never auctioned!!

HTH