90 Degree Oil Filter Block

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
temp: adapter v. remote lines?

It stands to reason that the more oil flowing outside and away from the block, the cooler the oil... no?

Obviously, an oil cooler is a still more significant change with exposed cooling area, but just wondering if the lines being external are helpful or not to the cooling "thing?"

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Here's another picture...

1zg5n2d.jpg

P. Scofield

Black arm band member RIP
Warren, I am looking for a block! When did you sell it? I don't cruise ebay daily so I miss a lot.

Why is it some guys have all the eBay luck. The big bucks were spent on a temp sender block and I sell one in follow on mode and get 1/3 of what temp block sold for. eBay is a crap shoot.

I have a full size mounted up in the edge of the front valence. It is still a little messy at changing times but the lines have a slight downward incline so all oil can be drained at changing time with gravity help.

I am with Duke on a bigger motor needing capacity of oil and extra area etc. amen brother. When I ran a shorty it was on a little 260 and that car had big time oil pressure.

A BMW group I was a member of had a deconstruction and comparison of filter area and Wix was the best, Fram the worst. This was several years ago, but I did learn that Wix makes all the NAPA filters and just add one digit on the end for the NAPA #

With the filters mounted in the vertical position the small flap is supposed to prevent oil from flowing back down into lines and oil pan.
Some dealerships claim that aftermarket filters lack these check valve like flaps but if your filter is not vertical as old stock style mount the discussion is moot. I did LOL when a service manager suggested my non Honda filter may void new car warranty. I told him I will try not to park the car upside down.

Sorry for the topic drift

chirodoc

Gold forum user
90 degree oil filter adapter

You are right there isn't enough room, but aTaurus oil filter is smaller in diameter and works great. When changing the filter pop a hole in the bottom of the filter to drain the oil, and spin it off without an oily mess.

mwood

Gold forum user
Before I did the resto on my car, I ran the filter in the fender well. It has been a common mod for many in the Bay Area, since Tom Hall and the original STOA guys started doing it years ago. Really convenient for oil changes and plenty of room for even a two filter system (if you like that idea). I did have one incident that resulted in oil on the brake rotor...my fault, but still interesting :)

Before sending the car to the body shop, we patched the holes I had cut years ago for the braided lines to the filter. After it got back from paint, I couldn't bear to break out the hole saw to go back to the remote location and I didn't want to go back to stock, so I used the Econoline filter block. As my poor picture (iPhone on flash) shows, you can fit a good sized filter, but it does require taking material off the motor mount. Changing filters is really easy, too. It is a good solution, at least in my application.

2mwxvs.png
zv381k.png

Last edited:

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Frey Racing remote oil filter

Back in the day, the owners of Frey Racing in the SF Bay area put out a remote oil filter kit for the Tiger that placed the oil filter behind the left headlight bucket. It allowed for more air flow in the engine compartment and a very easy filter change. I bought the kit then and used it with no problem. Now with the new engine in the restored body, I already have the "in fender" portion installed and will am having new hoses made up for use between the stock mounting on the engine and the filter holder end inside the fender. The filter holder looks just like the Derale remote oil filter mount pictured. I noticed that the Derale unit has a flat "knob" at the top and wondered if it could be drilled and tapped for an oil pressure sending unit; I might research that. Highly recommend!!

chirodoc

Gold forum user
90 degree oil filter adapter

MWOOD'S picture appears to be the Ford motorsport adapter which he trimmed the engine hanger to get a full size filter to fit. A Econoline adapter is more compact and doesn't require trimming the hanger when using the smaller diameter Mustang II or Taurus filter. The problem is try finding a 50 year old part !

mwood

Gold forum user
I thought my FRPP adapter was the same as the old Econoline design? I had already modified the motor mount or hanger years ago for header clearance, so more grinding on it didn't break my heart, but I can see where others would hesitate!

mwood

Gold forum user
That's the one. I got mine in trade from another Tiger owner, just figured it was the same as the Econoline version. Besides being able to use a full size filter, it also provides a good location to drill/tap for an oil temp sender. :)

PITT40

Gold forum user
Are those club headers? Because I have them now and do not see how this will work with my headers. In fact the front driver tube was hitting my Wix shorty filter and I had to remove it to get the bolts started. I doubt it will even fit now. So I may need to go remote.

Before I did the resto on my car, I ran the filter in the fender well. It has been a common mod for many in the Bay Area, since Tom Hall and the original STOA guys started doing it years ago. Really convenient for oil changes and plenty of room for even a two filter system (if you like that idea). I did have one incident that resulted in oil on the brake rotor...my fault, but still interesting :)

Before sending the car to the body shop, we patched the holes I had cut years ago for the braided lines to the filter. After it got back from paint, I couldn't bear to break out the hole saw to go back to the remote location and I didn't want to go back to stock, so I used the Econoline filter block. As my poor picture (iPhone on flash) shows, you can fit a good sized filter, but it does require taking material off the motor mount. Changing filters is really easy, too. It is a good solution, at least in my application.

2mwxvs.png
zv381k.png

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Bay area & filter in the wheel well.

In the EARLY days, a local couple (the Freys) had a Tiger and some race cars. They also ran a little business called Frey Racing and that little business sold a remote oil filter kit that included a oil filter bracket (that bolted in the fender well behind the left headlight), some hoses, adapters and in the instructions was a paper template the fit in the wheel well and showed exactly where to make the holes. I still have the kit and the paper template. As I remember, the Freys moved away to Florida(?) but before they left, several STOA members bought and installed their kit with good results. That is why the Bay Area has Tigers with wheel well filter kits. It makes replacing the filter a breeze; just take a grocery store plastic bag and place it around the filter and bracket, then twist off the filter and it's already bagged for the trash. No muss, no fuss.
Does anyone have the Econoline or Ford Racing 90 degree adapter installed with Rick's headers --- can they co-exist in the Tiger?

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I have had the filter in the fender since the mid-late 70's in a Vancouver Canada car and IIRC the adapter came from Seattle in those "Early days" - possibly via the Seattle groups contacts with STOA?? Prior to that I had an aluminium bracket that mounted in the stock location on the head to accept an upside down spin on filter.

I am now going from the Cannon headers to the SS CAT club headers, so what does one use for the block adapter?

Rootestang

CAT Member
Remote Oil Filter Adapter

Looked at several club members' cars and their adapters appear to be Canton Racing 22-595 or something very similar (ie Moroso) that seems to fit with club headers.
It fits to the block, but my headers are not club headers and would not fit with that adapter. I used TransDapt 1013, which is a different design and lesser quality, but fit with my custom headers. Photo below show how the previous owner had to customize (hammer) the headers to make room for the adapter. Both are available on Amazon. Also saw them on summit racing.
Good luck.
View attachment 8412

Last edited:

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Can't get a picture of it at the moment, but, Ford Motorsport 90 degree adapter- part # M-6881-A100 works on my Tiger with headers. It's tight, so tight I have a piece of header wrap squeezed between the header and the block adapter. I might have had to loosen the headers to install the block adapter, iirc. Sorry, I don't know what brand headers are on the car...

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
No, it's a spin on unit, so the position is at the mercy of when the threads tighten against the block and the outlets are at 90'- if I can get a picture I'll post it.