LAT hood scoop dimensions

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I am having my stock steel hood made into a steel LAT version--does anyone have the dimensions for the scoops? I have a ton of pics but thought measurements might be easier for the fab guy. Thanks.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
as in the "scoop" on the top centre, or the shape/dimensions of the vents in the corners?

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Steel LAT Bonnet

I have a steel clone bonnet left over (not for sale) and can send you dimensions and photo details for your fab guy to stare at. I remember the man hours required taught me not to do it again.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Randy,

Very nice work.. i believe that Steve Alcala (sp?) has made a few.. and some in aluminium.. think Dale A has done so too... Might be worth asking around.. as Randy just proved.. they exsist in peoples stock.

Cal44

Gold forum user
Curious..........why a steel hood and not fiberglass?

Mike

Last edited:

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Fit and Finish

"Glass" ages over time and may show it! Also the quality of glass hoods and the "fit" can be less than concours. Not an issue for me.

Modifying a stock steel hood avoids those issues. But.. the LAT hoods were glass! ie more correct.

Rick

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I guess it depends why you want the hood.. for looks.. then its all about fit/finish.. for cooling.. well not sure they do a great amount.. for performance.. the glass ones do weigh less and take it out over the front which helps even more in terms of the handling.

As a side note.. there are several people that offer them.. Ken wilcox, Dale (aslo carbon fibre ones too IIRC) US fibreglass.. then there is Jeff Haworth in the Uk (i bought one of his but have not fitted it).

THE LAT hood is my project for the start of next year.. as usual with me.. bought it in late '09.. yet to fit it. :rolleyes:

2636089120054462410rpZghg_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2876104760054462410YrFPRA_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2892552470054462410KenCBw_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2478055530054462410riUOlO_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I looked at the price of a glass hood and then talked to a fab shop close by that I know---they were close in price. Plus I know my steel hood fits good around the edges and I like the way they shut.
He was looking for the dimensions of the scoops themselves and where they are placed on the hood. He is a perfectionist and wants it to look exactly like the glass hoods----me, I am good with "close enough". haha
Thanks for thre replies and any help you can offer.

steven

Gold forum user
Hi Michael, if you don't mind me asking, what did it cost to bring over to the big southern country? Woudn't mind one myself.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi Michael, if you don't mind me asking, what did it cost to bring over to the big southern country? Woudn't mind one myself.

Steven,

The photos i have shown are actually from jeff before i bought mine (mine has not been laying on the ground!) :p There was making a crate, shipping + duty.. and the AU$ was still probably a bit lower than now.. i also bought in a group of 4 peopel so we did a deal and shared shipping + box building... i think you would be looking at about $AU850+

drop me an email and i'll send you pics of mine and also the box etc.. the others fitted their hoods and they were nice... i haven't got round to mine yet.

steven

Gold forum user
Steven,

The photos i have shown are actually from jeff before i bought mine (mine has not been laying on the ground!) :p There was making a crate, shipping + duty.. and the AU$ was still probably a bit lower than now.. i also bought in a group of 4 peopel so we did a deal and shared shipping + box building... i think you would be looking at about $AU850+

drop me an email and i'll send you pics of mine and also the box etc.. the others fitted their hoods and they were nice... i haven't got round to mine yet.

Thanks for that, don't think I have any one else after one here in Brisbane so cost for one may be a bit high:D

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Glass Bonnets

One of the times I was in San Diego haunting Sunbeam Smitty's "museum?" we noted that three Tigers under roof had glass bonnets. Each version of the LAT configuration was a bit different in dimension or assembly proceedure. Those with the steel frame still under them showed more stress cracks than those that were all glass (equal movement?). I have used several later production fiber hoods and find Jeff Howarth's worthy with the usual fit & finish headaches that go with fiberglass products in general. I do note bonnet movement at speed and recommend a second set of snubbers at midpoint along the fender seam. The all steel unit is heavy, yes, but we use aluminum heads on our motor builds sooooo . . . . . . . .

Cal44

Gold forum user
While we are one the subject of hoods. I am quite fond of the multi vent/louvered hood.

Anyone have that done and cost? To include the amount of vents for that "just right appearance"?

I reckon I could pop down to Mr. Smiths and pick one up so I don't need to defile my original.

Mike

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Mr Smith

Good luck prying one out of his treasured trove . . . . . Leonard is desperate to retire, everytime I walk thru the gate he hollers "make me an offer for the whole thing!"

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Brad Kaplan is selling the Jeff Haworth produced hoods in the USA... the photos are of tony tomasellis UK MKII.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tony's Tiger (the)

Note the narrow eyebrow trim on the UK MK II. Although one of my favorite photos is Tony's MK II getting special "car wash" attention. If you've seen the photo, you already know why . . . . . . . . .

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Randy,

I know the picture you are reffering to.. but not sure if you know there were several "car wash" pics taken... i htink some were not in the general online discussions as the were a little more.. well.. lets say you saw more intersting poses of the tigers tales...:eek: