Fuel pump

unbeam

Silver forum user
CAT Member
This is Tiger peripheral. I have a 1968 Dixie ski boat, with a Holman Moody Ford 289. It has the mechanical fuel pump on the engine, and the fuel tank under the back bench seat. It often is a month or more between starts, and often needs excessive cranking to get fuel up to the original Auatolite carb. I was thinking about placing an electric fuel pump close to the fuel tank. Would this best to be parallel to the fuel line, with two tees off the main line, and turned off once the engine starts? Or should it be in place of the mechanical fuel pump? Place it close to the tank, or even place a pump in the tank? If so, a particular brand and flow? Thanks, David H

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Options

I personally would be a little concerned if there were two fuel pumps in series, without knowing the characteristics of them (especially the electric). You can put the electric one in parallel and have various valves to isolate one fuel pump from the other. This does introduce more potential sources of fuel leaks, though. However, why not eliminate the mechanical fuel pump and use only a new electric pump? If you do this, be sure to get a fuel pump blank-off plate to cover up the hole in the block, just like the Tiger uses.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I have had a similar problem with a few of my classic cars - I have been told by some of the local hot rodders that it is more of a new gas formula problem than a fuel delivery problem. Not sure if this helps your situation but thought I would throw that out there.