California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum

Go Back   California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum > Tiger Technical - Personalized/Modified > Engine
New Threads

Old 05-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Super Administrator
Member of C.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
sexy red finish
B382002037LRXFE, TAC #739, Born on 5/3/66
454 HP, 445 lbs/torque
Gentle as a kitten that will rip your face off when the right pedal is put to the floor.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Looks just like the nippon denso on my Harley. Or the one on my buddies Toyota.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Super Administrator
Member of C.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Tiger View Post
Looks just like the nippon denso on my Harley. Or the one on my buddies Toyota.

This unit is designed for the Ford application using the Manual transmission. The unit is similar to the IMI-106 but has a shorter pinion depth.

Genuine Nippon Denso starter motor coupled to our patented design.

Yup!
454 HP, 445 lbs/torque
Gentle as a kitten that will rip your face off when the right pedal is put to the floor.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Silver Forum Member

I just went to Checkers and got a starter for a 302 with a one wire and stuck it on and also got one for the other tiger that has my old 331 setup and both have been in for more than 3 yrs
I'm on a tight budget can't have all that high dollar stuff
And by the way I've had my MSD 6al and coil in the car for over 10 yrs and no problems and its all mounted inside the car in the foot well on the pass. Side :-)
Old 05-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Super Administrator
Member of C.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo Tiger View Post
And by the way I've had my MSD 6al and coil in the car for over 10 yrs and no problems and its all mounted inside the car in the foot well on the pass. Side :-)
Bwwwwwaaaaaa Haaaaaaa Haaaaaaa
454 HP, 445 lbs/torque
Old 05-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Platinum Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

[QUOTE=And by the way I've had my MSD 6al and coil in the car for over 10 yrs and no problems and its all mounted inside the car in the foot well on the pass. Side :-)[/QUOTE]

So your the guy the tech's would talk about !!! My first 6AL ignition was bought in 2000 and over the next three years I went thru a total of 6 ignition boxes for the same defect....over heated and failed components. One of the last Tech's that I dealt with said there was a guy that had one that was still working...so it must be you. Three years ago they finally redesigned the 6AL
from the ground up but I still hear about the failures from the Cobra guys.
Thinking about it tho...you might not be drawing much power with that punny small block motor...just saying

Moondoggie
Old 05-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Administrator
Member of C.A.T.

Thumbs down Not science

"you might not be drawing much power with that punny small block motor...just saying"

Dog,

The ignition system is blind to yours or my displacement inside the engine. Timing does not care. Distributor advance is not intimidated by wasted potential and I have never seen coils recommended for engines under say 5 liters only!

Think before you post about your bias to too much is just right. I think you have regretted it before. Most Tiger owners do not have or even want a stroker. My 260 is a hoot to drive. Not as fast as my 302 but not bad and actually better for most of my driving.

Try posting something that is positive and constructive. Please.

Rick
Old 05-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Silver Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
So your the guy the tech's would talk about !!! My first 6AL ignition was bought in 2000 and over the next three years I went thru a total of 6 ignition boxes for the same defect....over heated and failed components. One of the last Tech's that I dealt with said there was a guy that had one that was still working...so it must be you. Three years ago they finally redesigned the 6AL
from the ground up but I still hear about the failures from the Cobra guys.
Thinking about it tho...you might not be drawing much power with that punny small block motor...just saying

Moondoggie
I've never had any contact with anyone from MSD and I've heard of a lot of whinning about there stuff SO THAT MUST be you:-)
You must still be one of the purist that is running a generator and trying to make new technology work LOL
Old 06-08-2017, 04:47 PM
Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Default Hi Torque Starter vs Summit Starter

In preparation for installing headers I ordered a new starter. I found the Hi-Torque starter available from Sunbeam Specialties, Part# AS50G for $215.00. I also have on hand the Summit Racing Protorque Starters, Part# SUM-820055 for $201.97.
I ordered the Hi-Torque after seeing some recent reviews on the Summit Racing starter about heat issues and the solenoid. The Hi-Torque appears to have a sturdier build and is notably heavier than the Summit starter. Rick from Sunbeam Specialties said the owner of Hi-Torque has a Tiger, so I will be installing the Hi-Torque starter, fingering he has a vested interested in having the best possible starter for a Tiger.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-820055
http://www.rootes.com/catalog3color.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starters Front.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	10013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starters back.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	10014  
Old 08-07-2017, 09:23 AM
Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

SO, it turns out that the Hi-Torque starter available from Sunbeam Specialties, Part# AS50G, is for Alpine's only. They took it back, no problems, thanks Rick.

So now I have the Summit Racing Protorque Starter, Part# SUM-820055 installed. Works great and fits great with club headers. My Alpine Conversion has a 6 bolt 289 along with the narrow case 4 speed top-loader like a regular Tiger.

I saw in some of the reviews on Summit that folks were possibly having heat related issues with the solenoid. I have had it in for over month now and no issues.

On a side note, the guy who did my header install, a bloke from England who comes into my area to work on cars a couple times a year, said the fit of the club headers was great! He said they were the best he had seen.