1967 Sunbeam Tiger VIN#382002176

fomoco

New forum user
I am helping a good friend sell a 1967 Tiger that is sitting in my warehouse in Tempe, AZ (he lives in FL). As far as I know this is an original CA car, recently sold at auction in January 2014 and the car came from CA.

This is how the car was listed at auction: This particular 1967 Tiger was completely restored with custom touches and beautiful yellow paint with tan leather interior. Upgraded 289 Engine, 4-speed manual transmission, front disc brakes, lots of receipts and a Certificate of Authenticity form the Sunbeam Tiger Owner's association. **TITLED AS A 1967 ROOTS**

Since being purchased we do have the receipts that came with the car as well as the COA from STOA. The vehicle runs and drives very nicely. It appears that someone has "converted" the car to a roadster since there are no windows in the doors. It has minilite wheels and tires are good.

If anyone wants pictures or wants to talk price please send me a PM and I will respond or call you, let me know what you prefer.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Nice looking car---did he buy it just to flip or is it not as he expected? Just curious. Does it have a TAC from STOA?

fomoco

New forum user
He did not buy it to flip it, it was a bit of an impulse buy and he was not happy with the doors not being correct and decided he wasn't a big fan of the color.

I am surprised that this car is not well known within this forum (or so it seems) since it was a CA car and it does have a certificate from STOA. I don't know if they call it a TAC (?), excuse my ignorance, not sure but I do have the paperwork.

Warren

Gold forum user
Tis known

To those who frequent these pages. As the car was at auction our members acted like guys at a beauty pageant muttering that Ms. Whatever's butt is too big, myself included. Never mind that she is nicely put together. It is the nature of a slow forum or news day to opine on auction or car dealer's statements.

MK2 guys like to say what he's got the Sunbeam script on the hood. Others nit pick and say what is not stock and what would be req'd to bring the car back to a more stock config.

As a personalized car there is nothing wrong with it as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Most who drift towards these cars read the Wiki page or other borrowed inaccurate scripts from other sales platforms. Most all say that an original car is worth more. What is not said is there are three judging classes Stock with allowable LAT options Personalized and Modified, then there is the you have gone too far class like the red car with the Ford 9" rear end.

Tan leather seats are nice as anyone who drives in a rag top and sat on a baking black seat in the sun could tell you.

Lack of windows and a top not so much as MRS or SO may object.

If it was my car, I would compile all the bits to set her straight, a spare set of doors the top the dash pad etc. It is most likely less expensive to obtain a set of doors complete with glass. The bits are very inexpensive when compared to taming a buyer's objection. I do not recall if the tops of the doors were filled. I would present the lack of a top as a good thing as mine has been up 1 time in 3 plus years and the window gets aged just by living in the top well. Post some pics of the tops of the doors and get the car up and show her bones the work she's had done and make it easy for someone to ring you up. You can do this and make it easy on your self by using a photo hosting free website. CAT has picture size limits and big pictures and big nets catch lots of prospects and fish.
Keep your friend away from Las Vegas:cool:

fomoco

New forum user
I will pass along the advice. I will also get some more detailed pics and put them on Photobucket. Does anyone have advice on price? Usually I see commentary post auction and most of the forums members know the market and know what the prices should be.

To those who frequent these pages. As the car was at auction our members acted like guys at a beauty pageant muttering that Ms. Whatever's butt is too big, myself included. Never mind that she is nicely put together. It is the nature of a slow forum or news day to opine on auction or car dealer's statements.

MK2 guys like to say what he's got the Sunbeam script on the hood. Others nit pick and say what is not stock and what would be req'd to bring the car back to a more stock config.

As a personalized car there is nothing wrong with it as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Most who drift towards these cars read the Wiki page or other borrowed inaccurate scripts from other sales platforms. Most all say that an original car is worth more. What is not said is there are three judging classes Stock with allowable LAT options Personalized and Modified, then there is the you have gone too far class like the red car with the Ford 9" rear end.

Tan leather seats are nice as anyone who drives in a rag top and sat on a baking black seat in the sun could tell you.

Lack of windows and a top not so much as MRS or SO may object.

If it was my car, I would compile all the bits to set her straight, a spare set of doors the top the dash pad etc. It is most likely less expensive to obtain a set of doors complete with glass. The bits are very inexpensive when compared to taming a buyer's objection. I do not recall if the tops of the doors were filled. I would present the lack of a top as a good thing as mine has been up 1 time in 3 plus years and the window gets aged just by living in the top well. Post some pics of the tops of the doors and get the car up and show her bones the work she's had done and make it easy for someone to ring you up. You can do this and make it easy on your self by using a photo hosting free website. CAT has picture size limits and big pictures and big nets catch lots of prospects and fish.
Keep your friend away from Las Vegas:cool:

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am surprised that this car is not well known within this forum (or so it seems) since it was a CA car and it does have a certificate from STOA. I don't know if they call it a TAC (?), excuse my ignorance, not sure but I do have the paperwork.

For more information about the TAC procedure, check out the page on STOA's website. http://sunbeamtiger.org/index.php/tac-menu/tac-procedure

A car that has been TAC inspected (and passed) will get the certificate AND have a sticker placed on the car. To quote STOA's website:

A printed label serialized to match the Certificate of Authenticity (described above), which is applied to an authenticated Tiger by a TAC inspector. The label is manufactured of a tamperproof material which either reveals the word "VOID" numerous times across the surface if it has been removed or transferred, or which can not be physically removed intact. The location for the label is the triangular area under the dashboard on the main structural box, between the windshield wiper motor and the right side panel structure.

The purpose of the sticker is to prevent someone from getting a real Tiger (in ratty condition) certified and then switching VIN plates with a non-Tiger in much better shape and passing it off as a Tiger. So it is good to check for both the certificate and the sticker when buying a Tiger.

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
BJ '67 MKII(?) #1164 and comments

are to be found via the link below...

Warning, as Warren suggested... best to take comments with grains of salt. There are many, many opinions, along with facts, of course etc posted here.

I'm new enough to the group, that I may be breaking a faux pas be re-posting the auction discussion prior thread on a For Sale listing. One might consider it bad form. I've no ill intent to squash your listing. Anyone with interest in the vehicle should NOTE that I was listing only my personal observations and questions, that I as an amatuer was unable to answer on the spot.

Also, I do wish that I'd seen the engine bay. It looks in line with the rest of the car. Some nice upgrades, that may or may not be someone else's idea of aesthetically pleasing (EX: alternator often = 'good idea', bracket often = 'but not my preferred look').

http://www.catmbr.org/VB_forum/showthread.php?t=2605

FWIW, my question was never completely answered... I imagine that your friend may have had the MKII question answered...

And again, in person, the car had many many eyes appreciating the look.

Good luck,

DD

Last edited:

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The Yellow Tiger #1164 Is Not a Mk II

FWIW, my question was never completely answered... I imagine that your friend may have had the MKII question answered... DD

The car shown in Barrett Jackson Lot #1164 (not sure where #1146 came from - typo?) is NOT a Mk II, per the VIN number. Mk II VIN number should look like 382100XXX. As Warren pointed out, it is wearing a script Sunbeam on the hood (er, bonnet), like Mk IIs. I believe the same script was used on the Imps, too.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I would think the owner would want to try and break even--what did it sell for at auction? Also what happened to the grille that was in it at auction?