British bubble flares

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I'm assembling the new brake lines for adapting the Ford Courier Master cylinder to the Tiger brake system. I have questions regarding the "British bubble flares". Naturally, I want to fabricate safe and tight hydraulic lines so I'm concerned about the flares. What tool do I need to make the British version of these flares? What are the differences between the SAE flares and the British flares? What will be safe?

Last edited:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Flares

I'm assembling the new brake lines for adapting the Ford Courier Master cylinder to the Tiger brake system. I have questions regarding the "British bubble flares". Naturally, I want to fabricate safe and tight hydraulic lines so I'm concerned about the flares. What tool do I need to make the British version of these flares? What are the differences between the SAE flares and the British flares? What will be safe?

Auto supply guys have a variety of brake line tool kits. Some are quite dear $$$. Look for something with 3/16" DIN and double flare capability. Make darned sure it's made of good tool steel or you'll be spending twice or more. Always lubricate when forming.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Here's a link to a page that I found some time ago and it was helpful when replacing my brake lines.... it talks about British fittings among others...

http://www.dimebank.com/BrakePlumbing.html

I used some AN fittings here and there after reading this part..."It is a happy coincidence (at least, it seems like a coincidence, perhaps it is by design) that the female Girling flare hardware will mate comfortably with a male AN-3 fitting"... :cool:

+1 on buying good quality tools for the job :)

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Brake Flare

I used AN3 fittings on my car, and made the double flares with a regular old double flare tool from the hardware store, didn't have any problems or leaks.
I also have the Courier M/C, I tapped out the threaded holes in the Courier M/C which are something metric, to 1/8" pipe, and then used the 1/8" pipe to AN3 adaptor to connect the lines. Used red Loctite on the 1/8" pipe to M/C threads.
Bob K.
B9471705