Fiberglass hood?

PITT40

Gold forum user
I'm looking to modify it, in my own image. So any present scoop or type of damage will be considered.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
As far as I know the only fiberglass hood was the LAT hood. Are you looking for a complete hood or scoop ideas?

Warren

Gold forum user
Dale's LAT Fiberglass Hood

I'm looking to modify it, in my own image. So any present scoop or type of damage will be considered.

Is the only one making them now. In my own image ? you mean style.

I would say there is no mold or plug made without a scoop to modify on your own. You could spend hours looking at internet pics of Tigers. Dale said he had some scratch n dent ones about but was reluctant to sell them. Personally I would have preferred a scoop that starts further back but gave up the idea of modifying one of the factory 2nds. Fitting the hood was tough enough for me.

Last edited:

PITT40

Gold forum user
"In my own image" means that I want to make it look like I prefer. I'm not a fan of the LAT hood scoop or ducts.

So yes, a scratch and dent, one that had a different scoop added for say drag racing or one that was in a wreck that someone didn't want to mess with, but I may be able to repair and modify accordingly.

Warren

Gold forum user
Ha ha

Saw your image on facebook. My image is the follically imparied one. Parts wanted is right place to ask but you are snipe or dodo bird or unicorn hunting :)

3 sellers of Tiger LAT have been around and they only offer the same flavor.

Subtle diffs in chopper gun or mat or cloth underside and in grill opening.
Bruce aka Cobrakidz used a Cobra rivet on an had the vents made of metal. Use search drop down feature.

Flat out not enough demand to make others.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
PM me if you want it

"In my own image" means that I want to make it look like I prefer. I'm not a fan of the LAT hood scoop or ducts.

So yes, a scratch and dent, one that had a different scoop added for say drag racing or one that was in a wreck that someone didn't want to mess with, but I may be able to repair and modify accordingly.

The scoop reminds me of the big Healey, but the vents ducting to sides & rear are very functional. I have an old original bonnet with a large rear facing scoop that cleared the big holley on a high rise in the 60's. Worked like a charm except we had to tape the cold air ducts to keep from frying my feet.

PITT40

Gold forum user
Duke posted a pic of the Tiger that was wrecked and parked in an enclosed trailer with a dinged up LAT hood. That's what made me post the ad. I figured someone may have an old one lying around that was damaged or they bought a car with one that was modified and not to their liking.

I already bought a spare steel hood and started the mods that I want. Only problem is that I plan to use fiberglass scoops on a steel hood. That is a short term option because the expansion and contraction rates of steel and fiberglass are such that no matter how well I do it, it will eventually crack.

PITT40

Gold forum user
Thanks. I'm not spending $700 to remove the scoop and vents. I would rather buy a flat fiberglass hood and start fresh.

I'm not a fan of riveted on scoops. Even Foose's bolt on on the Tiger he did was unfinished looking for me. And the LAT scoop starts waaaaay too early down the hood for me.

PITT40

Gold forum user
Thanks Mark, but that is the part of the LAT hood that I don't like. It's too long for my taste. I like a 427 Cobra scoop.

TAH_Tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks. I'm not spending $700 to remove the scoop and vents. I would rather buy a flat fiberglass hood and start fresh.

I'm not a fan of riveted on scoops. Even Foose's bolt on on the Tiger he did was unfinished looking for me. And the LAT scoop starts waaaaay too early down the hood for me.

Is this hood more to your liking?

PITT40

Gold forum user
LOL! I always wondered how they expected to fit that under the Tiger hood. It would have to be tucked in above the valve cover.

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
3 sellers of Tiger LAT have been around and they only offer the same flavor.

I don't know anything about the other flavors but Kent Wilcox has done some custom hoods for me. Kent's work is always hand layup, never chop gun:

The first was an LAT hood but with a shorter scoop. (I think the usual LAT Hood's scoop is so long it's simply ugly.) We run that scoop on Claudia's street Tiger.

The second hood deleted the LAT scoop and replaced it with a Cobra style scoop. We run that on the SCF Tiger. BTW (I believe Kent has made those scoops for over 40 years.)

Both hoods have the flat part of the hood continue all the way to the air box around the carb. This ducts the outside air through the scoop and into the air box so the engine intakes outside air, not heated air from the engine compartment. (On the road, this arrangement improves horsepower and hurts gas mileage but but if you've got a sports car...)

bt,
at the beach

Warren

Gold forum user
Accuracy

We build em better today then they did back then. To be accurate in a repo LAT hood you would need to do the same crappy methods. :)

I do not care as much for the long scoop either BUT its correct for stock with LAT options. It helps just like a matching painted OG hood in same color if resale is ever considered. 4 bolts and its off, paint your stock steel hood too and put in rack with hard top. To me its a compromise its light but brutish and styled in period like a British Austin Healy its very functional but wobbles at speed...

I was looking for a hood too and settled for a LAT one as it was all I could find. It was reported to me by a trusted member Kent Wilcox was not currently making em. I thought I called and left a message or got no response, it has been several weeks. Buck told me today he was and others. Will keyword tag thread and phone number when its found, another good reason to have limited adverts:D I was trying to help silly silly me I favor the guy who picks up the phone has the best product at the best price with the best ability to stand behind his product and nothing more. I know nothing of Wilcox other than I was unable to obtain product when needed.

Last edited:

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
LAT scoop-delete

If you want a 'blank' fiberglass canvas so to speak to do your own custom scoop etc. , carhoods.com sells a plain 'stock' fiberglass hood for under $600... ( no affiliation )
Look at the bottom of the 'Ford' listing to find 'Sunbeam Tiger' ... They make both flavors... LAT and flat!! No idea of quality or anything as I don't know anyone that's bought from there. Interesting that they sell as 2 separate pieces to be 'bonded' together... that might help with the 'customizing ' part...:cool:

PITT40

Gold forum user
Thanks Jim. I just noticed where you are from. I was in Nanaimo last March. Beautiful country up there.

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I spoke to Kent Wilcox today. He can be reached at (619) 448-6700.

He is very busy right now completing several rush orders for his aviation customers to get their aircraft back in service.

He still makes LAT hoods and 427 SC hood scoops. The scoops are $80 and the hoods are $725 (including screens and the hood prop rod attachment).

Delivery time is the question. He doesn't carry an inventory of the the hoods or scoops in stock. He makes the products as needed. As I mentioned, right now he's quite involved. He's more willing to accept orders from someone who is OK waiting a bit and doesn't need it ASAP. Don't bother him if you need something next week. Calling him in the evening has worked best for me.

bt
at the beach