My Tiger story

gyroplanes

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I was a Ford kid in a sea of Chevy kids as a teen.

My friends came by one day, they were all excited.
They wouldn't say anything, but grabbed me by the arm and walked me down 105 st 1 mile west in Chicago's Roseland neighborhood, where I saw my first Shelby GT350, being washed by it's owner.
We sat on the curb in awe and stared at a car I never thought I'd never see on the street.
I vowed there and then that I would some day own one.

11 years later, I own a gas station and have a customer with a 1966 GT350 (sn#6S427). He vowed to never sell it, but succumbed to the van craze, so I got my Shelby.

I drove my Shelby, hot rod every day, Bought and built a '66 Mustang SCCA road racer and tried my hand at road racing. I had my fun, but found stock cars to be much more rewarding (Raceway Park, Blue Island, IL) so I sold my cars and built another stock car ('69 Holman-Moody 429 Mercury Cyclone)

Years later I missed my Shelby and was regretting selling it. My co-worker said "I sold my boat", my friend bought it. I just have to wait until he sells his car. I asked what he had, " Sunbeam Tiger", he said.
I bought it over the phone and picked it up the next day.

My Tiger was a second owner car(?) he bought from a college professor in MO (or Kansas), it sat outdoors, top leaked, interior shot and some floor pan holes......... but I got it running and drove it around the Drivers Ed lot, tires smoking and sparks flying (studded snow tires).

I pulled the car in my shop and started a complete gutting.

A month or so later I contracted a body shop to do the repairs and paint. I bought a ton of restoration parts and started at the trunk.

I did a lot of research and bought a 1985 302 Mustang engine.

I was ready to move along with my resto, when I got the news. I lost my high school teaching job due to a new Principal with new ideas.

It's 13 years later and I have now begun to finish (with your help) the restoration I started so long ago.

If one of you owned the GT350 in Roseland, around 105th Street and South Park Ave or you were the Tiger owner that frequented my Union 76 station in Markham, IL and sold me tire repair supplies, drop me a note and say hello. You influenced my life.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Great story and good to see you are finally able to start working on your Tiger again.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Life gets in the way

"It's 13 years later and I have now begun to finish (with your help) the restoration I started so long ago."

Howz that song go "If you want to hear God laugh, tell him you've got a plan"

gyroplanes

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
If one of you owned the GT350 around 1966, in Roseland (Chicago neighborhood), around 105th Street and South Park Ave or you were the Tiger owner that, in the seventies, frequented my Union 76 station in Markham, IL and sold me tire repair supplies, drop me a note and say hello. You influenced my life.

I am back to work on my project and have a current post under the Tiger Birthday thread.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Great to hear you are moving along, I tried to see your FB page but it was locked. Post some pics if you get the chance. I visit the Chicago area every few years, I will definitely look you up next time I am out that way.

gyroplanes

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Great to hear you are moving along, I tried to see your FB page but it was locked. Post some pics if you get the chance. I visit the Chicago area every few years, I will definitely look you up next time I am out that way.

I can't find the pix of my car. I will post the video up to You Tube. (when I can).

Let me know and I'll give you the cooks tour, next time you come to Chi town. My shop / hangar is unheated, so dress accordingly.

Warren

Gold forum user
Ranchero in Avatar

So is that what cool tiger guys have to haul broken Tiger n other car parts around ? :) seen several in pics and in person and other Tiger sites. Hmm now how can we increase avatar pic size?

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Your Car's Birthday

I am back to work on my project and have a current post under the Tiger Birthday thread.

In case you are still looking for it, the Book of Norman indicates that your car's birthday is September 14, 1965. You have a few months before you need to break out the cake!

Congratulations on your progress. It's nice to hear about another one making it back from being in parts and pieces!

David

gyroplanes

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
David: Thank you for the date, now I can plan the (work) party. Am I still listed as the owner? I sent Norman the info long ago.

Warren: I wish I still owned the Ranchero. It was an early "Funny Car" from the Midwest called Damn Yankees. Altered wheel base, 427 with Hilborn injection. I fell in love with the car as a kid. Many years later I was tipped to its existence and bought it with a partner. The partner and I could not agree on any part of the project and we sold it. After 13 years of regret, I found it again and it is still local. New owner hasn't done much since his kid moved away a few years ago. I supposedly have the right of first refusal.
Pictures from her history. The car traveled the circuit and raced all over. Was featured in Hot Rod as a cover car.
Last pix, in primer, are of the car today.

I figure we are all Ford guys here and the Damn Yankees history might be appreciated.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
No Name Listed

Tommy,

Sorry, the there was no owner's name listed for your car in the BON. The copyright date of that book is 1993, so if you sent in your information around then or later, it might have been too late to be included.

David

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Love the injection stacks in the 2nd photo--once you got traction I bet it was a blast.

gyroplanes

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Love the injection stacks in the 2nd photo--once you got traction I bet it was a blast.

Later in the Yankees life, the engine was set back so far, the injectors came through the windshield. I bet it helped the traction.

gyroplanes

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Holy crap

Time flies! It has been over a year since I have posted any progress.

I got involved with a project (re-engining a gyroplane) and it has consumed most of my free time. I believe I am a manifold away from finishing the gyro (I hope) and while waiting for the manifold, I am installing my Tiger's 302.

It has been so many years and a big move, so, naturally, I am having trouble finding some of the parts for my Tiger.

I have to go now and pick up 300 pounds of lead so I can jack up and install my engine. If I am successful, pictures will follow.

Billm

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Engine install

Tommy I use four fifty pound bags of sand in the trunk. Lead bars can't rip open and make a mess.

gyroplanes

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
OMG ! Maybe, finally, progress?

Well a few more years have passed and I think my Tiger dream might come true. FINALLY!

I sold my business and have officially retired.

That gyrocopter "re-engine" project took nearly 4 years. A series of small SNAFUs and 3 long blocks later, it's back flying.

I now have time to dedicate to my Tiger. Since my last post, I bought the front suspension replacement from the restoration's guy in California. (Gene?) he never called me to see if I got it installed. I'm a little sad as it cost me 4 times what I paid for the car.

It was a three man job to get the holes to align, but I expected that.

I was told the alignment would be close, but I'm probably looking at 3/4 to 1 inch tow out. A string alignment is one of the next steps.

Before I return the carb to it's home and fill up the engine compartment with the other bits and pieces, I figured it would be a good time to convert to the dual master cylinder.

Can anyone help me with a part number or Make, model and year of the donor brand? I think I was once told it was a Subaru Master used on a model with all numbers?

I am ready to make it driveable before winter arrives.

Attachments

• IMAG0488.jpg
    IMAG0488.jpg
    964.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 20161128_190506.jpg
    20161128_190506.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 177

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Hi Tommy,

Engine looks great, congratulations on the progress! I'm using a Subaru 13/16" master, part number 7257-21020, for a 1980-81 DL or GL. Haven't driven the car with it installed but it bolts right up and I went with Tom Hall's 6:1 pedal conversion.

-Jon

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My Tiger Story

Hi Tom, funny you should mention the funny car “Damn Yankees” as I saw it on Vancouver Island on display at a car show last year. I remember seeing it car magazines of the 70’s as a kid.... and there it was. I went to the way back machine that day.
Brian