The Harrington

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
We Have A Dilemma !!!

We did not see the car before it was stripped and blasted :confused: There are two (2) sets of "SUNBEAM" letter holes drilled in the front. One spreads 20-1/4" while the other is the standard 14-1/2" word length. Photos of Harrington Le Mans' off the web show both lengths being used. Are there any experts out there who can shed light on this? We are at the point where one set gets welded and gone.

jdoclogan

New forum user
I measured my Series I, all original early promotional Harrington Le Mans, original Series III GT, and original series VI. All are 14.5 inches.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Got It !

I measured my Series I, all original early promotional Harrington Le Mans, original Series III GT, and original series VI. All are 14.5 inches.

Thanks; we opted for the shorter spread per owner's research and a bunch of helpful E-mails. The glassed rear remains the wider spread as there were no other hole patterns in evidence.
The SHL is on it's side for now getting it's tummy caressed with oxide treatments, marine grade etching primers & epoxy seam sealers. It'll be hangin' around for the next generation.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
harrington

randy,
I told him yesterday that we were going to make him a real sunbeam collector . we'll take him back to his college days when he drove an alpine. I'll really wonder when I walk in the shop and find a tiger in among the morgans and minis.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Our Etchings

This time of year the high humidity is a real threat to bared metal and how a finished product will behave as it ages. The blasted metal got oxide treatments injected into every possible access hole and crack. The two-part seam sealers covered all the seams. Then the whole thing was coated in chemically activated etching primer. It's now safe to apply and smooth the pre-paint primers.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rear Glass Seal

Hey! Anyone have a clue where we can find the correct profile rear glass seal for this critter?

Bosspwrd

Silver forum user
Not your 50 cent machine item .........

Hey! Anyone have a clue where we can find the correct profile rear glass seal for this critter?

Randy -
Maybe try Steele Rubber Products , or rare chance that maybe Auto Krafters have something that would work .

Gary - ( Bosspwrd )

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
rubber

randy,
check on the saoca forum and search for napa 1. he came up with some rubber for the rear hatch but that was a couple years ago in california. the local glass shop where i live came up with a oiece that fit my red car but that was 1983. reg mentioned awhile back about someone in cincinnati that might be able to find or make it. have you called martin macgregor in canada.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Waiting In Line

Humidity is at an all time high, so the little critter is waiting for it's turn in the drying room before painting. Trapping moisture under expensive paint is a taboo subject around here.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Randy,

Do you fit the door hinges before painting? Or adjust fit after ?

Also was watching a resto programming where they mixed some colour into the primer so that chips were less obvious, have you ever done this?

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Fitting Colours

Randy,

Do you fit the door hinges before painting? Or adjust fit after ?

Also was watching a resto programming where they mixed some colour into the primer so that chips were less obvious, have you ever done this?

The doors/bonnet/anything else are fitted several times during welding & prep so that there is minimum aggravation after the paint squirts. We've learned to hide a very small drilled pilot hole in the hinges as a final guide during reassembly. Tinting primers works well with some products but not all as the chemistry is not always compatible.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Cherry Flavoured Tummy

After a month-long move to a new & larger facility (too many projects), we're back at it with the little red fastback. :)

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Great work randy,

I love seeing the cars underside when they are body colour and smooth metal without underseal and stone guard.... Not practical but very nice :cool:

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
harrington

It does look good. two of our cars are dark colors and stone chips on the under side don't show. doug wanted to use black under coat in the wheel well area of the green car but the wife said shiny paint. the white car is a different story. being painted on the bottom does look good! I'm looking forward to seeing this car when he gets it home. we need to chip in and buy Reg a duster to keep it clean.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Chemistry Toys

Great work randy,

I love seeing the cars underside when they are body colour and smooth metal without underseal and stone guard.... Not practical but very nice :cool:

This particular Nason product has a little rugged "rubberizing" added in for durability. Eastwood also makes a secondary clear undercoating & rock guard which will find it's way into the wheel wells and other impact prone areas. The objective is to make the little critter as bullet proof as can be. Then again, it will still go home with a back up can of touch up paint.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Show Paint

will it have a clear coat?

Yup: The "show" exterior gets the base coat/clear coat process with a third clear coating so that there's plenty of product to wet sand & buff out any assembly scratches.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
harrington

randy,
we were talking today about the clear coat. he won't put a scratch on it as he assembles the car. Reg will be very careful with it.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It's Glaring At Us

There was a parade of fans waiting for the dry booth door to open this morning and the little SHL rolled out for the public critics to ogle. Sun glasses were needed in the AM sunlight. We'll let it cure for 3-4 days and then massage it with super fine wet paper and a final buffing. In a first ever comment, Mr Fussy, the shop Guru was "satisfied". Not even his usual grumble . . . . . . .:p