factory color - differential

SIV Allan

Silver forum user
CAT Member
What is the factory correct color for the pumpkin?

Recently, judges dinged my Tiger at a show for not having an orange differential.

I can't recall seeing an orange differential, not that I've paid much attention to differential color.

Thanks in advance,

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Allan

I do not have my BON handy so I an not give you the absolute correct description of the color...but it is a reddish-brown color, perhaps a burnt orange. I am sure one of the other members will provide the exact description.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It came in flavours ?!?!

Allan

I do not have my BON handy so I an not give you the absolute correct description of the color...but it is a reddish-brown color, perhaps a burnt orange. I am sure one of the other members will provide the exact description.

Well; ole' # 78 was always dull black with rust accents from day 1. Now it's powdah coated carbide, which will upset the good judges if I ever let them under her skirt.

Erich

Gold forum user
What kind of show? Sunbeam specific or a more general old car show?

Fords have the removable pumpkin painted with red oxide primer.

I could see a Mustang type judge thinking a Ford powered Sunbeam oughta be finished like a Ford.

The Dana 44 is a one piece housing so there would be no real reason for the center section to be painted a different color than the axle tubes.

Warren

Gold forum user
Trade secrets

Glyptal it's called and it's kinda a debate as broom applied under coating could have covered the color. Paul S will chime in soon as his Facebook posting may have been overwritten by now. :rolleyes:

tigerracer

Silver forum user

Recently, judges dinged my Tiger at a show for not having an orange differential.

I can't recall seeing an orange differential, not that I've paid much attention to differential color.

Thanks in advance,

Hi Allan, the correct color of the rear axle housing is black. The cast center was painted with a red oxide or glyptal type paint to seal the porous casting, then the axle tubes, differential, brake backing plates, axles and hubs were installed. Then the complete assembly was painted black.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Glyptal Paint

I had heard that the black paint did not stick well to the glyptal paint, and sloughed off in many cases. This is what led to the mistaken belief that the differential was supposed to be redish-orange.

I bought my Tiger used in August of 1970. I do not recall ever seeing the redish-orange glyptal coating, only black, on the differential.

Unfortunately, some of the folks doing the judging rely on what they are told. I suspect this is the result of someone whose differential had shed its black paint and they claimed that all Tigers were supposed to have an orange differential. This is kind of like the judges dinging a car for having the CAT-provided rear license plate holder, when there was nothing provided by the factory or standardized for the dealers for mounting the rear license plate. That was in a different thread.

dude234

Gold forum user
"The cast center was painted with a red oxide or glyptal type paint to seal the porous casting"

Always wondered why it was painted red.

JB66CAT

Gold forum user
Jack-O-Lantern

Thanks in advance,

Was the judging done on Halloween? Or, April 1st? j/k