The British are Coming!

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Next year CAT is hosting a June TU in Santa Maria. Details are in Tiger Tales or elsewhere on this site. The main news is that the hotel is now taking room reservations for the event.

However this thread is not about next year, 2016 but the following year. As most already know, a contingent of British Tiger owners are coming to California in June of 2017 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the completion of Tiger production.

The current plan is for them to assemble in Los Angeles, perhaps staying at the Queen Mary, and then tour California for a week or two ending up with a visit at the 2017 Tigers United which will be hosted by the STOA. Right now the STOA is planning the event and wondered who from CAT might be interested in attending a Tigers United centered at the former McClennan Air Force Base near Sacramento? They need to block rooms and are faced with making a decision on how many.

If you think you might like to attend that Tigers United please either respond to this thread or contact me directly.

bt
at the beach

Last edited by a moderator:

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Buck - I am all for it as this is in my backyard. The AFB is called McClellan and is located in North Highlands, in fact I attended the Edsel convention there this past summer, the grounds there are nice.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Closer to SoCal

The Sacramento area is closer to SoCal than the locations of the last couple of STOA Tiger Uniteds. We had a lot of fun at their last one (South Lake Tahoe) and expect to have fun in 2017. Michele and I will be planning to make it!

Looking forward to it!

mwood

Gold forum user
I was able to review the whole layout at McClellan today with Tom. If it can be locked down, it will be a fantastic venue. The autocross site appears to be about 6.5 acres and everything (hotel, pool/deck, banquet hall, autocross, concours site) is in close proximity. Add in easy access to the Sierra Foothills for the tour/rally...really good stuff! :)

beamsun

New forum user
CAT Member
Hi Buck, this really is my back yard.... in fact, I work at McClellan for a defense contractor.... and have run in several autocrosses that are staged here throughout the year.... I would most definitely be attending, although, more than likely staying at home (15 min away). Would be willing to help folks in any way that I can

pushrod

Bronze forum user
No only will there be British, we're also being reinforced by colonial "troops" from Australia and New Zealand!

I guess we should have red T shirts eh?

Lou

b_mcguire

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Thanks, Beamsun, for the offer to help!
We're always looking for volunteers.
PM me your email address and I'll forward it to the TU 2017 chair.

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
I just ask a quote to ship 2 Tiger to Vancouver by train. we maybe flying to Vancouver and drove our car to Los angeles . This will be my 65 birthday gift and my friend will turn 65 also in 2017 and will be retiring. My car will turn 50 in June of 1967.

Will be in touch !!!!

Gilles

Warren

Gold forum user
TSA

Several of us have submitted applications so we can be the watch dogs in Santa Maria. Mike M. is the go to guy on how we are clearing the TSA hurdle.

Not a very glamorous job gate watching but maybe better then resetting cones.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
...Not a very glamorous job gate watching but maybe better then resetting cones.

I wouldn't take that job too lightly... :rolleyes: When leaving the Santa Rosa autocross 'airport' site at TUXXXII, the gate closed 'prematurely' on a Tiger a couple ahead of me...big dent in the left rear fender and then hooked the rear bumper when the owner tried to scoot through and bent it back 90°:eek::confused:

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
On a side note there is a good Mexican restaurant in the SM airport - have eaten there many times.

BillRo

Gold forum user
Lou Lusardi, the guru of the Tiger US Tour next year recently issued a news update. The route planning has started and Tom Hall was checking out the Port Hueneme to Monterey section. Here is an initial take on the route: https://goo.gl/maps/n6hRW84M7RJ2.

The schedule is for the participants to pick up their cars at Port Hueneme on Tuesday 13th June and arrive at Tigers United at the old McClellan AFB on Thursday 22nd. There are 10 crews currently signed up including 7 Brits, Bruce and Julie Reid from NZ and a couple of US crews, Dave Redmond and myself. For any other SoCal people this would be a great way to get to TU and see some of California on the way. Lou is open to a few more entries from the US but he will need to know pretty quickly.

We had a great time on the Monte Tour in 2014 with these folks and this should be a great trip. If you are interested PM me and I will give you more info.

Bill Rogers

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Having lived in the valley most of my life I would take the coastal route as long as possible due to the summer heat here. In Sacramento Tiger drive time is mornings before noon or evenings after 7pm. :)

pushrod

Bronze forum user
Five of the six British Tigers at the port today, ready to be shipped out to California.

Attachments

• IMG_6527.jpg
    IMG_6527.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_6562.jpg
    IMG_6562.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 192

BillRo

Gold forum user
The Tigers are on the boat and heading this way. If any LA Tiger owners wish to give them a warm welcome on June 14th in Ventura PM me and I will send details. There are 6 cars from the UK, one from Oregon and one from SoCal doing the tour.

Bill Rogers

BillRo

Gold forum user
The British have arrived - their cars at least. If any CAT members from SoCal would like to meet and greet them on Wednesday June 14th at 10 AM in Ventura, contact me at www(dot)motorsportmemories(dot)com/contact and I will send you the location.

Bill Rogers

pushrod

Bronze forum user
We're on our way tomorrow, hope to see you guys somewhere on our tour of California. Looking forward to being reunited with our cars.

Lou, Val, Malcolm, Jackie, Graham, Ruth, Ken, Sandy, Alex, Nicola, Don, Rachel, Liz & Pete.