Looking for hood with scoop...fiberglass?

great_RA

Bronze forum user
My MK I is nearing completion, at least it is running again after a long rest. Soon ready for paint and I'd like to acquire a spare hood with scoop.

In Oregon.

Last edited by a moderator:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Are you wanting a fibreglass LAt hood with scoop and vents, or just a bonnet scoop?

There are several suppliers of the LAt style, and made in fibre, carbon and kevlar.

off the top of my head:

Dale A
Jeff Haworth (though someone in the USA)
Kent (?) Wilcox
US fibreglass.

great_RA

Bronze forum user
Are you wanting a fibreglass LAt hood with scoop and vents, or just a bonnet scoop?

There are several suppliers of the LAt style, and made in fibre, carbon and kevlar.

off the top of my head:

Dale A
Jeff Haworth (though someone in the USA)
Kent (?) Wilcox
US fibreglass.
What I had in mind is a complete hood, prefer Fiberglas. Any further details, such as cost, would be appreciated. Thanx for the prompt answer!

RAK

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Guestimates Etc.

What I had in mind is a complete hood, prefer Fiberglas. Any further details, such as cost, would be appreciated. Thanx for the prompt answer!

RAK

The averages on reinforced glass LAT style bonnets $600 - $800 depending upon base price/shipping/etc. All glass (even the best) require some fitting & trimming to the opening. Shimming is common plus a method of mounting the hood prop rod. I've learned to use a central set of bump stops to minimize vibration/flex at highway air speeds. Paint finish requires a guy who speaks glass to get the finished surface looking the same as the surrounding metal . . . .my 2 cents. amen

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
The averages on reinforced glass LAT style bonnets $600 - $800 depending upon base price/shipping/etc. All glass (even the best) require some fitting & trimming to the opening. Shimming is common plus a method of mounting the hood prop rod. I've learned to use a central set of bump stops to minimize vibration/flex at highway air speeds. Paint finish requires a guy who speaks glass to get the finished surface looking the same as the surrounding metal . . . .my 2 cents. amen

Randy, I never thought of adding a separate set of bump stops. Great idea, thanks for sharing.

BTW, on my original LAT hood, they just drilled a hole in the side of the hood for the prop rod tip to fit into... No bracket or anything. Got to admit that is a cost effective and functional solution.:)

Gene

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Prop Rod

Randy, I never thought of adding a separate set of bump stops. Great idea, thanks for sharing.

BTW, on my original LAT hood, they just drilled a hole in the side of the hood for the prop rod tip to fit into... No bracket or anything. Got to admit that is a cost effective and functional solution.:)

Gene

Didn't take photos, but, we did gently "V" a groove and epoxy a metal tube for the prop rod (pre paint) in one project. The tube was size just short enough to allow a safety pin thru the rod hole.

331Mark2

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
LAT Fiberglass hood

Kent Wilcox is still making hoods in El Cajon, CA. I own 2 of his hoods and they are very nice quality. He now installs the threaded inserts and supplies the hood rod bracket. His fiberglass work is first class.

1fineAlpine

Silver forum user
Hood scoop

I'm sure it's been asked before, but where would be a good place to get a rivet on Cobra style hood scoop? I've googled it a bit and found one that bolts on from the bottom, but I like the way the rivets look.

-Kyle

George Simpson

Gold forum user
Hood Scoop

:)Mr. 1finealpine, look up Branda (Shelby/Cobra) parts. Hood scoop you want is from there Cobra parts. Good luck!

Last edited:

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Here is the Cobra scoop.......
x0y8ls.jpg

1fineAlpine

Silver forum user
Thanks guys! Both scoops look great and are the styles I'm looking for. I've got a gasket set, cam, and intake i need to purchase for my motor, then I'll be ready to start gearing up for body work.

Thanks again guys!
-Kyle

Last edited: