Just ordered this from CA DMV

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Cool Choice

Doug,

That is a cool choice. I'm a little surprised that the personalized number you selected had not been previously taken (by a white license plate).

I have already seen quite a few personalized black plates. Does anyone know if a person could get personalized plates when black plates were originally being issued? Or even personalized blue plates?

Mlerne

Silver forum user
Doug, that's funny. Our cars really will make quite the Wedgewood pair: my car's license on the car is TIGER64. I was thinking of going black and yellow as well.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Holycat - I saw a personalized black and yellow plate at a show years ago and was told that you could get them that way, I didn't argue with the owner as he was original. :)
Doug - looks awesome, good choice.

Warren

Gold forum user
Technically soeaking with a chit chat drift

You cannot alter a plate by painting which includes painting a personalized white reflective vanity plate black and yellow. Or repainting a new reflective Legacy plate to a non reflective old semi gloss black and school bus yellow .

Nice addition Doug, maybe if everyone starts tossing Sacramento an extra 40 bucks a year for a Legacy plate they can fix a few more potholes and not focus on Lexus LanesBng

I saw one on a black Toyota Landbruiser SUV , it should have said SUX9000;)

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Can you buy / sell plate id's? That's a big business down here... Grab TigerV8 v8tiger.... Or better yet.. Cobrav8. Cobra62 etc.... Gt350h , shelcob Or.... A250gto. A250swb... You cN probably buy a tiger for the value of any if those last few plates.

JB66CAT

Gold forum user
I have collect plates for years. Bought and sold some too. I sold all my plates to cover the cost of a pair (you have to have a pair to register it). I found 1956 plates for my 1956 truck in good shape. $300.00 since the are 'commercial' plates which you have to have for a truck. I'm planning on using the DMVs YOM program to register them for my truck which has the black plates that were on it when I bought it in 1971.

Warren

Gold forum user
Difference

I sold a YOM plate attached to a car, with a proper transfer form.

If you read other forums the process was doing described as first ordering a sequential plate then applying for a vanity preferred number. I suspect now that they have reached their 7500 numbers it may be different. Possibly why Doug was able to combine steps. You can sell vanity plates on car and re assign the owner with the car. Selling a California plate tied into the registration date or birthday as DMV clerks candidly compare it to is problematic for them. If you seek to register a car 1 day before the birthday the whole year is due. It used to be prorated like your insurance policies then they figured they could call it a fee.

Doug got lucky whether his luck would continue to sell the rights to use the vanity plate on a different car owned by a different person remains to be seen.

Many guys have already gotten vanity plates in white alloy and painted em black so good luck finding a clear number in the first place.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Yes - you can sell vanity plates. Or at least I had a friend do it, when he retired from work he sold his job related personal plate to another manager....$1000.
As far as painting a plate, you shouldn't do it but I was told as long as it looks good the police won't write you up for it - that's a DMV thing.

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Blu n yeller

In answer to HolyCat's question, yes, you could get personalized plates in blue and yellow when they were being issued. A friend had a set on his car. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there's several Tigers still wearing personalized blue and yellow plates.
Bob K.
B9471705

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It's interesting that Doug could get 65Tiger, which one would think would have been one of the first Tiger personalized plates to have been taken. Does anyone know if they make the personalized plate available again if it's turned in? I got "RKTIGER" on a white plate for my current Tiger a couple years ago, and was surprised when they said it was available, as I'd tried to get it about 10 years previous for another Tiger and they had said it was unavailable at the time. Guess I should have asked for 65Tiger!
Another question for the knowledgeable, if I have a white plate with "RKTIGER", can I turn it in for a black and yellow plate with the same letters?
Bob K.
B9471705

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Bob - I was thinking the same thing. I have a couple newer plates that I would like to have black and yellow - I may call and ask.......

Doug C

Gold forum user
I got the plate 64 Tiger by going to AAA and asking. I guess that I was lucky.

Cheers, Doug

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Can Check Availability

You can check availability of a personalized plate number on the California DMV website. Go to https://dmv.ca.gov/wasapp/ipp2/initPers.do?Submit=Order+Personalized+Plate and fill in the requested information, including the personalized plate number. When you get to the third page (Step 2), if that combination is not available, it will tell you. So you can try something else until you find a combination of letters and/or numbers that suit you.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
My first set of personalized blue and yellow plates was in the 70's, still have them.....I hate to think how much I have paid the DMV for that set over the 40 years....ugh. :(
and remember when looking for a certain vanity plate to use different spellings...I just got a set and substituted a letter "O" for the number zero and it worked.