Boiling Temperature

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
This manufacturer mention that his water free product boil at 375 F
Does anyone used this product in his Tiger engine .

Thanks

Gilles

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Go to the saoca forum from a few years back when the Evans coolant came out... Lots of discussion.

I've heard it works well, but you really want to make sure all your hoses and clamps are new, all you joints where water can leak are well surfaced and sealed because its expensive stuff and you don't want it leaking or have to replace parts in the cooling system once it's been flushed and filled.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
boiling

FYI,
since you're in Canada i'll give you some info concerning petro Canada's conventional anti freeze. the boiling point can vary from 264 F to 387 F. that's 129 to 197 C. this may be due to being full strength mix or blended with water. pre blended ethylene / glycol coolants have additives to prevent corrosion and other internal engine damage. there are some with SCA's ( supplemental coolant additives ) that prevent a lot of problems with diesels with cavitation of the liners being the worst problem. the e/g coolants sold in this part of the world that are blended 50/50 have a typical boiling point of around 265 F when using a 15 lb pressure cap. the universal ( all makes/all models) coolant with very little color is an ethylene glycol item with no dye. there are also some propylene glycol products being sold. same basic properties. evans say their coolant is a blend of synthetic products and they have a patent on the blend so it's hard to pin down what it's really made of. the question is what are you willing to pay to find out if it's any better. you do have to flush the entire system with a particular item to try cleaning everything e/g has touched but that doesn't mean you won't encounter problems. some may be costly. you're dealing with a car with 50 year old technology so why try something other than what has worked for those 50 years.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
you're dealing with a car with 50 year old technology so why try something other than what has worked for those 50 years.

Bob one thing you may want to consider, is that unlike alpines, many tiger owners run later style motors with newer style alloy heads, waterpumps etc... They also generally have fresh build motors with virgin components, so its perhaps not as much as a concern as the rootes 4cyl where they are either old or rebuilt components.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
temps

Michael,
there are some that have bought new engines to replace the old engines but conventional green coolants are used for any ford engines built prior to 2001.after that DEXCOOL is the chosen product. the one on going factor is that the coolants are still ethylene glycol. that means same 50 year old technology for the base with the difference being additives added to protect the alloy heads, aluminum radiators, water pumps, etc. the two coolants have different color dyes so the average joe here in the states that can tell the difference between green and pink will know which coolant to buy. FYI, conventional coolants are blended to have an average service life of 2 years or 50000 miles with the dex cool extended life coolants having a service life of up to 150000 miles or 5 years. if you need to top up your system between drains you can use the product sold under the name universal or all makes/all models. it's still an ethylene gycol based product with very little color that will become the color of the product in the radiator and mix with any product. my coolant sales of preblended 50/50 coolants far exceeds sales of concentrate. the treated water used is far better than tap water and eliminates a lot of coolant system problems. if it's approved by ford why use a so called snake oil?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The advantage of the Evans coolant is its non corrosive, iirc doesn't need to be pressurised so you basically just need a sealed system, handy for a tiger.

I don't class this product as " snake oil" its not an additive, its not a miracle liquid rebuild... It's a complete alternative, that theoretically has some very good advantages.

Its an alternative that offers some good advantages especially for cars that do low miles and stay dormant for longer periods than a daily drive, which is many sunbeams.

By your reckoning, why use synthetic oils when the manufacturers didn't 50 years ago, or indeed most new cars don't now? Or why use alloy heads, electronic ignition or radial tyres when the manufacture didn't? While you don't have to use newer technology it doesn't mean it doesn't offer an advantage. I guess it comes to preference, like using paragraphs or not. :rolleyes:

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
temps

Michael, you are entitled to your opinion but as a certified lube engineer my statements are based on facts. 30 + years in the business of supplying anything slippery or liquid for vehicles, manufacturing ,etc has taught me to work with proven ideas, not speculation. my customers trust me to supply them with the right products to keep the equipment rolling or the plants producing. down time is money just the same as down time of a tiger engine is money and that would also be frustration for the owner. why take chances of something going wrong? better safe than sorry. we'll discuss synthetics later but i see your knowledge of synthetics is limited.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael, you are entitled to your opinion but as a certified lube engineer my statements are based on facts. 30 + years in the business of supplying anything slippery or liquid for vehicles, manufacturing ,etc has taught me to work with proven ideas, not speculation. my customers trust me to supply them with the right products to keep the equipment rolling or the plants producing. down time is money just the same as down time of a tiger engine is money and that would also be frustration for the owner. why take chances of something going wrong? better safe than sorry. we'll discuss synthetics later but i see your knowledge of synthetics is limited.

Luckily there are people who don't just stick to what's done. Just because something is new doesn't make it wrong.

As for fact based evidence... Well many times you have offered your opinion as fact.... You say lube engineer... Here I was under the impression after all your posts over all the years you are a salesman.

I do not work in the lubrication industry, so yes my knowledge is limited compared to some. Im always happy to increased my knowledge base, then again if you take peoples track record for truth, you have to be very careful who you listen to and learn from.....