mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Vin less car

Some one should know something about this car from California, I'm sure Norm does. The picture doesn't look that clear but is the JAL also missing? Sure effects the value if there gone.
Brian

Warren

Gold forum user
Costa Mesa

It's in O.C. I left a phone number but got no response. There's more than one car with a reproduction VIN out there. If the trans and the rear end match the title that's a big help.

pinecat

Bronze forum user
close to me

This looks like it is right by my house. Anyone want me to attempt a look see and peek for any particulars?

Jason Adams

New forum user
This is my car, anyone is more than welcome to come see the car anytime, I've only had one person leave me a phone number and I left a message.
My number is 714-336-4988

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Jason,

Welcome to the forum, don't take the discussion to heart, we all go over the eBay add with a fine comb here.

As you can tell from the discussion the lack of VIN and JAL tags has raised some eyebrows. It would be good to know ( and probably assist your sale/interest on eBay if you post the same additional info) what happened to the Tags, or if you still have them, know of them.

Also many potential sunbeam owners would like to see photos of the x brace under the car, and the spring hangers, in a tiger especially at the exhaust pass throughs, it will generally give a better idea of the condition of the car.

Jason Adams

New forum user
Thanks Michael, I don't take any of this personal, I have a small Porsche shop and am no expert on tigers. I got the car out of Texas about a year ago and I don't have any tags other than the one on the cowl, Norm Miller says the car is in the registry as a Tiger that's missing the tag. I would appreciate any info or opinions regarding the car. I would love to keep it for myself but need the money more than the car right now. I have photos of the underside of the car if anyone wants to see them.
Jason

Brianelec

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I went and saw this car today. First I am no TAC inspector but have dealt with Tigers for a long time. I tried to talk Jason into taking this car to the swap meet in November and get it TACed for his and the buyers benefit. I also mentioned he could look for a TAC event sooner. The car is presently red but supposedly was originally mediterranean blue.
I'll start at the front and work back. It has an alternator that is some distance from the engine, unlike most that are quite tight to the engine. It has the inner fender horns that are unique to the Tiger. The valve cover tag is there but on the wrong valve cover. It is on the drivers side and should be on the passenger side. Behind the carburetor there is about a 1" notch in the firewall rib. The sheet metal that is at the rear of the engine compartment that has a rubber sealing gasket on it is bent over to ward the windshield. It looks like this was done to let heat escape from the engine compartment.
The vin and jal plates are nowhere to be found. Jason suggested buying a blank and stamping one. Someone will have some input on the legalities of this idea.
On the interior the seats are in the reverse position. The adjustment handles are on the inside rather than the outsides. Heavy carpet covered the fuel pump door so I didn't look there. It does not have an original tach but has some speed shop type tach.
In the trunk the battery is in the center front of the trunk. The fuel pump is to the passenger side of the battery. With this a spare tire would not fit in the trunk. There was no spare tire. The spare tire boss is in the trunk welded on the floor where it is supposed to be. It is missing the welded on battery hold down clamps. It had what looks like a home made rear sway bar. There are some metal straps bolted in the trunk for the rear sway bar to attach below the trunk. There were an extra set of front springs in the trunk meaning the originals may have been changed out.
I tried to take pictures of the transmission tunnel from below but the pictures did not show the dent in the transmission tunnel.
It will need to be repainted as the current paint is bubbling up.
Brian

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Brian
Thanks for taking the time to have a look and share...

My concern would an insurance claim with nothing on the car to show that it's actually the car on the registration :(
Also...if it's sold out of state, I think someone (DMV?)will likely have to match the VIN on the paperwork with a visual on the car

Warren

Gold forum user
FYI

I got a call back and this forum member has replied after learning that the car was a topic of conversation online here on CAT .

The car has a Texas Title, so California will rubber stamp the transfer of ownership. Getting a TAC would be easy as the next event is in Anaheim at the swap meet, pending enough participants needing TAC.

I advised pulling the door locks and the ignition and trunk to verify the key codes as well.

Warren

Gold forum user
Corrected

A gent brought up to me the fact that the DMV regs say that out of state transfer mandate a vin be verified. I recently have seen a out of state title that got sent to CHP to verify. So as always with the DMV I should always use the "your result may vary" disclaimer. I have gotten small motorcycles done in the past and AAA may be the way to avoid a several week delay as I have had when going to CHP in Torrance California.

I'd like to say I'm never wrong but maybe 1/2 right sometimes:)

When I saw this tag less car I asked the seller to come to the TAC event and use the TAC as persuasive evidence along with the old title to request the DMV ask for a state ID in the same number as the title, just like I have seen one Tiger and one Alpine, but the Alpine had it's tag and the new owner came in on bill of sale out of state.

Good luck to the next caretaker

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It Continues

We were recently sent a "tagless car" for resto. Not sure how to approach this issue as the normal Tag perch has been welded up, smoothed and painted. I managed to recover the rusty HEHE tranny numbers and will clean the pinion bottom later for the rear numbers. Hopefully, those two data figures and the door key codes will all jive with a registry entry somewhere . .

Warren

Gold forum user
Special place

Having been the owner of a repop tag car this topic is still a near and not so dear to my Grinch like heart.

This car per seller does not have the matching trans or rear end so that horse done left the barn.

I was not able to get under the car, but like Brian I'd give the car a 75% chance at being a TAC able car that like my old car will carry a * and not be included in NCM's registry as a TACed car but can and will be on the STOA list with no * as it's presented titled number which I have seen. " * means generally an unclaimed car," per boilerplate on TIROST.

Sure it's common in the rest of the collwrecktor car market to restore replace or otherwise change tag's but that doesn't make it Kosher.

What's a tag worth? I was working with a member who had lost his tag having taken it off 20 years ago. He and his friend had been thru a 30 year collection of Tiger tales and assorted paperwork and couldn't find it. A buyer came over and they agreed 40 without 45 with. Several days later the seller asked me what spares I like and if I'd go thru the history channel like pile of papers, I said sure if he buy's the beer. Low and behold after 1/2 of the stack held by the staples and shaken like a Polaroid picture the tag fell out. Before leaving I reattached it for the happy member. Don't remove a tag unless it's getting dipped and if you do follow the rules for your state and be as careful as you would with a Rolex in downtown LA.