Cannon-style Headers

Mlerne

Silver forum user
If anyone has a set of the old Cannon style JC Whitney headers gathering dust on a shelf, please PM me. I am interested! Thanks, Michael

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I have a set of headers that came on my Tiger that I was told were probably JC Whitney's They are quite a bit different than the CAT ones and the left side tubes go up and over the motor mount. You can see that a p.o. took a BFH to the first 2 tubes on that side for clearance ? :confused:
I'll post a couple pics to see if anyone else can confirm the brand... I have no use for them other than 'garage art' now

Attachments

• IMG_5436.jpg
    IMG_5436.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_5437.jpg
    IMG_5437.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 150

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have a set of those as well... plus the Mitchell style straight-through mufflers they were attached to. I vaguely recall having used a BFH on one of the tubes to make clearance for something or other, but I'd have to go dig them out in order to verify that.

I can provide pictures of any parts if required.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A little History

Back in the late '80s, JC whitney sold the Tiger Headers for as little as $49, as I recall.

I was never able to get a pair for the cheapest price, but I did buy a pair @ $59!

This got me thinking about why CAT could not sell the same header for a price quite a bit cheaper than the LAT style they sold.

I chased the source "Thunderbird Products" to the ex-Shelby employee Erime Emmerso.

At the time (early '90s), Thunderbird no longer had the fixtures.

By the time they added up the cost to remake the fixtures, and the low production run, the cost would end up about the same as what CAT was selling.

At that point a clean sheet of paper was used to spec out what is the current (general) style of CAT headers.

Gee, has it been 25 YEARS ago?

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks, Theo. Will PM you.
See attached pictures. The #4 tube is smooshed down to 1 1/8 from the original 1 1/2", for a couple of inches. I think I did that when I was trying to fit a new mini-starter and then resolved the problem by re-indexing the starter.

Attachments

• IMG_4094.jpg
    IMG_4094.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4095.jpg
    IMG_4095.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_4096.jpg
    IMG_4096.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4097.jpg
    IMG_4097.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_4099.jpg
    IMG_4099.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
After looking at Theo's pics vs mine... obviously they've been on his car... now I'm really confused why a p.o. would bash in those front 2 pipes on mine as it doesn't seem to be a clearance issue
Fit of 'Tiger engine installation rage' maybe ??:O

Hoghead

Gold forum user
After looking at Theo's pics vs mine... obviously they've been on his car... now I'm really confused why a p.o. would bash in those front 2 pipes on mine as it doesn't seem to be a clearance issue

Looks speciously like the crash damage evident on mine!

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member

Not sure. I did do an engine mount replacement while I had those headers on the car and that was a tough job because of the closeness of fit on everything. But it was only ever "close" and nothing actually hit anything, on either side.

I currently have SS headers on, and they run close enough to the oil filter mount that I ended up making my own remote adapter, after trying the Canton and Dale's adapters without success. But that's a different story...